Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #9191
View in linear mode

Subject: "Making Lens Correcttion a default setting?" Previous topic | Next topic
dgs2 Registered since 30th Sep 2004Mon 05-Nov-12 01:03 AM
710 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Making Lens Correcttion a default setting?"

San Francisco, US

I try to follow Rick Walker's direction for modifying default settings, but the lens correct does not "take" I click the box on an unedited image and follow his menu instructions, but when I open a new image, the box is not checked. Both images were taken with the same Nikkor that is supported by LR.

dgs

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Making Lens Correcttion a default setting?
walkerr Administrator
05th Nov 2012
dgs2
05th Nov 2012
walkerr Administrator
05th Nov 2012
dgs2
06th Nov 2012
archivue Gold Member
06th Nov 2012
walkerr Administrator
06th Nov 2012
dgs2
07th Nov 2012
walkerr Administrator
07th Nov 2012
cwils02 Gold Member
07th Nov 2012
walkerr Administrator
07th Nov 2012
cwils02 Gold Member
08th Nov 2012
archivue Gold Member
08th Nov 2012
walkerr Administrator
08th Nov 2012
cwils02 Gold Member
09th Nov 2012
walkerr Administrator
09th Nov 2012
cwils02 Gold Member
09th Nov 2012
jherrel Silver Member
07th Nov 2012

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Mon 05-Nov-12 01:37 AM
14530 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Making Lens Correcttion a default setting?"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

Was the other image already edited?

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

dgs2 Registered since 30th Sep 2004Mon 05-Nov-12 07:59 AM
710 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Making Lens Correcttion a default setting?"
In response to Reply # 1

San Francisco, US

No, I don't think it was. I tried to select an image that was not.

dgs

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Mon 05-Nov-12 10:13 AM
14530 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Making Lens Correcttion a default setting?"
In response to Reply # 2

Colorado Springs, US

No, I meant the other image that you went to after you set the default. Existing images that have had an editing parameter altered won't have the new default applied without doing something else.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

dgs2 Registered since 30th Sep 2004Tue 06-Nov-12 08:37 AM
#4. "RE: Making Lens Correcttion a default setting?"
In response to Reply # 3

San Francisco, US

Hi Rick,

Thanks for responding. I used two unedited images. I applied Chromatic aberration and lens correcttion to the first image and followed your instructions by going to the deveop menu. I then opened a second UNEDITED image and there were no lens correction or chromatic aberrations corrections applied. Do I need to "save" the first image? It doesn't seem from your instructions it should be very difficult to do.

dgs

archivue Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Mar 2002Tue 06-Nov-12 08:45 AM
5471 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Making Lens Correcttion a default setting?"
In response to Reply # 4

Paris, FR

Do you apply the setting when you see your new image in the develop module ?
When you import your images in LR, you can apply whatever setting to the whole import (such as lens correction and more). But if those images were imported without any settings, you'll have to apply one when selecting the image in the develop mode !

Or is there something I didn't understand in your post ? (It might be )

Jacques

"Un photographe, finalement, c'est quelqu'un comme les autres, mais qui prend des photos." - Man Ray
My Gallery...
My Other Gallery...

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Tue 06-Nov-12 10:31 AM
#6. "RE: Making Lens Correcttion a default setting?"
In response to Reply # 4

Colorado Springs, US

Try importing a new image and see if the new default setting is applied. Existing images received the old default setting when they were imported so they've already been edited in a way. You can copy the lens correction settings to existing images, either in small sets or large ones.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

dgs2 Registered since 30th Sep 2004Wed 07-Nov-12 04:28 AM
#7. "RE: Making Lens Correcttion a default setting?"
In response to Reply # 6

San Francisco, US

OK Rick,

Thanks for responding again. Yes! That explains it. I didn't realize you have to re-import the image. I will try importing a new image and see what happens.

dgs

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Wed 07-Nov-12 10:23 AM
#8. "RE: Making Lens Correcttion a default setting?"
In response to Reply # 7

Colorado Springs, US

I wouldn't re-import images. Just realize that existing images will keep their current settings. New ones will get the new default.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Wed 07-Nov-12 08:10 PM
789 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Making Lens Correcttion a default setting?"
In response to Reply # 7

HIXSON, US

I'm assuming we're talking about LR. In that case, you select an image that has that correction applied, then select all other images you want that particular change applied to and then click on Sync.

Then make sure that the only thing that is synced is that lens correction.

Sure I haven't explained this very well. Checkout the Sync feature. I would never apply lens correction on import unless I never used more than one lens, and I only used Raw for which that lens' correction is available. I always use Sync, because I use many different lenses, and cameras for that matter. Some lenses have correction algorithms for RAW but not jpeg.

Charlie

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Wed 07-Nov-12 08:29 PM
#11. "RE: Making Lens Correcttion a default setting?"
In response to Reply # 10

Colorado Springs, US

I use a number of camera lenses with several bodies, and the lens correction works correctly with all of them. It's more than capable of handling multiple lenses. It also discriminates between raw and jpeg files and won't apply the same default to both.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Thu 08-Nov-12 05:35 AM
789 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Making Lens Correcttion a default setting?"
In response to Reply # 11

HIXSON, US

>I use a number of camera lenses with several bodies, and the
>lens correction works correctly with all of them. It's more
>than capable of handling multiple lenses. It also
>discriminates between raw and jpeg files and won't apply the
>same default to both.

I understand all that. My point is that in that situation, setting up a default import correction isn't appropriate, since I may be importing a series of photos from one shott on which I use more than one lens or even camera body.

Or, are you saying that you can just set lens correction on input, and it will determine which lens was used, and make the proper correction? I would have a hard time trusting that, because when I try to just do a lens correction on a single image, it doesn't always default to the correct lens. Knowing which lens I used, I just make the corrections using Sync.

Some have found that making the lens correction first hinders performance, while making other corrections, etc. For me, I don't want to do anything else before I correct for the lens. It can affect cropping, etc.

Charlie

archivue Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Mar 2002Thu 08-Nov-12 08:03 AM
5471 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Making Lens Correcttion a default setting?"
In response to Reply # 12

Paris, FR

LR will determine wich lens was used... If that lens is in the data base, if it isn't it won't correct it ! You'll find more lenses through the "Adobe lens profile downloader" allowing one to find some tailored corrections for some lenses, old and new You can set preferences if you have two (or more) profiles for a given lens.

Does such lens correction degrades the image ? Sure it does, but at what level ? I find that a few squashed pixels here and there, is the price to pay for a cheaper lens that has some pillow or barrel distortion that can be felt in the final picture. Not to speak of chromatic aberration

Must the whole thing be systematically automated at each import ? That's the user's choice, and I'm glad that LR leaves us the choice, as they say, YMMV

Jacques

"Un photographe, finalement, c'est quelqu'un comme les autres, mais qui prend des photos." - Man Ray
My Gallery...
My Other Gallery...

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Thu 08-Nov-12 10:55 AM
#14. "RE: Making Lens Correcttion a default setting?"
In response to Reply # 13

Colorado Springs, US

Exactly. Although it gets into a more advanced use of the feature, you can even automate fine tuning of the automatic lens profiles, including things like having zero, partial or complete "de-fishing" of a fisheye lens. There's a lot of power hidden in this feature.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Fri 09-Nov-12 04:05 AM
#15. "RE: Making Lens Correcttion a default setting?"
In response to Reply # 13

HIXSON, US

>LR will determine wich lens was used... If that lens is in
>the data base, if it isn't it won't correct it ! You'll find
>more lenses through the "Adobe lens profile
>downloader" allowing one to find some tailored
>corrections for some lenses, old and new You can set
>preferences if you have two (or more) profiles for a given
>lens.
>

Jacques,

If after importing with no lens correction during import; I select a single photo - then select lens correction, sometimes when the lens is not in the database, it will pick another lens by default.

It would be helpful if I could use lens correction as a default during import. I guess I will have to make sure which lens image won't default to the correct lens. I just checked and saw that two of my lenses are now in the database, but at least one is not.

Automation is so helpful, ne-cest pas?

Charles

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Fri 09-Nov-12 09:57 AM
#16. "RE: Making Lens Correcttion a default setting?"
In response to Reply # 15

Colorado Springs, US

All of the lenses in your profile, with the exception of the new 18-300mm, are supported and will automatically be picked. Going in manually and then having it look for something else causes it to behave differently. If you just let it work automatically, it will work correctly.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Fri 09-Nov-12 03:51 PM
#17. "RE: Making Lens Correcttion a default setting?"
In response to Reply # 16

HIXSON, US

Actually, the (my) 18-300mm is now supported. This is recent.

When it wasn't, it at least didn't default to something else like my S95 does. I also have other stuff from the dark side, and older stuff for which I am cataloging and reworking.

Plus, I am not sure that I automatically want to "correct" images from known lenses with modifiers like macro filters, etc.

I don't have a TC currently. Anyone know what effect that would have on these corrections?

Still, by showing my ignorance on here, I have once again learned something that I didn't know that will be helpful in certain situations.

Charlie

jherrel Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2007Wed 07-Nov-12 01:16 PM
666 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Making Lens Correcttion a default setting?"
In response to Reply # 2

Elgin, US

Did you update your preset to include your lens corrections?

John Herrel
Nikonian from South Carolina
See the light, capture the essence!

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #9191 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.