nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Botched LR 4 Migration From Old to New Computer

dalafleur

US
42 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
dalafleur Registered since 02nd May 2007
Fri 02-Nov-12 07:58 PM

I switched from an HP 32 bit Vista machine to an HP Z220 Workstation, 64 bit, Windows 7 as the former was literally on its deathbed. Prior to hiring the Geek Squad to set up the machine and transfer files/data I contacted the National Assn of Photoshop Professionals, of which I am a member, for advice on migrating images, catalogs, etc from the old to the new machine. I received a link which seemingly provided direct and detailed instructions which I forwarded to the Geek Squad prior to hiring them. In my telephone conversations and email forwarding this link I asked that the info be provided to the tech they recommended and asked that he email me to advise whether he understood the instructions and felt comfortable with the job. As is customary, I did not receive a reply only verbal assurances by the tech that he knew what to do when he showed up to do the job.

Rather than migrating anything, he ended up importing all of my picture files, even those prior to my initial installation of LR, into a new catalog in LR 4 designated as Catalog 4. I did not realize this until after he left my home as images were loading up when he left. I should also point out that he simply riffled through the printed instructions I had made for him quickly ( and now I know haphazzardly) hitting buttons in his rush to get "finished."

What I wanted him to do was to import my LR 4 Catalog 2 which contained about 2 years of work and careful construction of a Collection which I used in my business. I learned of the difference between the catalogs after he left and after I began exploring what did and did not happen. I should point out that I am a computer illiterate!

To the point, my Catalog 2 which I was able to launch, contains my file structure (but not my Collection in the Library module; but is in my Develop module) but all of the folders have a question mark besides them. Likewise for the thumbnails that appear when I click on the folder. When I right click on the folder and choose to locate the folder where it now resides I get a window with folders labelled 0-9 and A-F. Clicking on any of these folders brings up a jillion alpha numeric files which are not anywhere close to the file name as it existed previously.

I have spent hours and hours with Adobe tech support and they go round and round trying the same unworkable procedures. The last tech, after well over an hour into my machine remotely, asked whether I knew where a particular file is currently located!!!???

It seems to me, though I'm not sure, that the Geek guy moved, rather than copied, my picture files from the old to the new computer. I base this on the fact that when I click on a Catalog 2 file on my old machine that, just as on the new one, I get an error message saying that the file is missing or is offline.

While I do have functionality in the newly created Catalog 4 I don't have my Collections nor do some of the specific images I checked have all of the edits that I did on them. I know this because I burned a disc of one project that contained my best images with the latest edits I remember having made.

Basically, I want my Catalog 2 back if I can get it. If not, I'll deal with the situation accordingly. One last note: I did back up all of my photos on an external drive which is still not hooked up awaiting the Geek guy's 3rd visit to my home to complete the project. Unfortunately, I don't think that I brought my LR folder onto that drive (done by another tech). I have not heard back from the Geek Squad since I raised holy hell for the screw up; don't anticipate I ever will.

Can someone offer advice or is my quest hopeless? Thanks, as always for your generous and appropriate advice.

Doug

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Botched LR 4 Migration From Old to New Computer blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
02nd Nov 2012
Reply message RE: Botched LR 4 Migration From Old to New Computer pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows.
02nd Nov 2012
Reply message RE: Botched LR 4 Migration From Old to New Computer blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
02nd Nov 2012
Reply message RE: Botched LR 4 Migration From Old to New Computer dalafleur
03rd Nov 2012
03rd Nov 2012
03rd Nov 2012
03rd Nov 2012
03rd Nov 2012
     Reply message RE: Botched LR 4 Migration From Old to New Computer pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows.
03rd Nov 2012
04th Nov 2012
04th Nov 2012
05th Nov 2012

G