Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #9172
View in linear mode

Subject: "LR 4. 2 setup" Previous topic | Next topic
BGD600 Registered since 19th Sep 2012Fri 02-Nov-12 09:33 AM
311 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"LR 4. 2 setup"

GB

Hi all,

Has anyone had any luck setting lr4.2 up to process Raw files in a similar way to nx2?

I installed it as a test yesterday and the images that it produced were much darker and a lot less vibrant to my eyes.

With my D80, I had setup lr3 to produce a close match to nx2 and was pretty happy with the results, but I really don't know if I can be bothered to go through that again (ok, I probably will end up doing it), so am taking the lazy "hope someone has already done it" approach

As it stands, I'm seriously considering changing my workflow and sticking with LR3 and using jpegs (which seem great straight out of the camera) for the library, processing RAW only for the files that are keepers and really need it - probably with nx2 and then rendering as psd to finish in photoshop.

That's all doable, but it does add an extra step to my workflow (and nx2 does seem a smidge flaky to me)..

Any thoughts / words of wisdom?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: LR 4. 2 setup
meat
02nd Nov 2012
BGD600
02nd Nov 2012
briantilley Moderator
02nd Nov 2012
BGD600
02nd Nov 2012
meat
08th Nov 2012
Antero52 Silver Member
08th Nov 2012
BGD600
08th Nov 2012
Antero52 Silver Member
08th Nov 2012
BGD600
09th Nov 2012

meat Registered since 17th Feb 2012Fri 02-Nov-12 01:29 PM
138 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: LR 4. 2 setup"
In response to Reply # 0

US

You may have better luck posting this in the Adobe PostProcessing Forum. Maybe one of the mods can move it for you

BGD600 Registered since 19th Sep 2012Fri 02-Nov-12 02:13 PM
311 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: LR 4. 2 setup"
In response to Reply # 1

GB

I don't really care where it sits, but as it's directly related to the 600 and not a generic LR query, here seemed better?

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Fri 02-Nov-12 04:35 PM
28729 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: LR 4. 2 setup"
In response to Reply # 2

Paignton, GB

No, our Adobe Software Forum will get you more help with this type of query.

I've asked the Admins to move it

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

BGD600 Registered since 19th Sep 2012Fri 02-Nov-12 04:40 PM
#4. "RE: LR 4. 2 setup"
In response to Reply # 3

GB

Cheers, Brian

meat Registered since 17th Feb 2012Thu 08-Nov-12 02:07 AM
138 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: LR 4. 2 setup"
In response to Reply # 4

US

I have never used NX, but since no one has helped you, I thought I would make a lame suggestion. Have you used camera calibration and selected Vivid in profiles? Does that give you what you want? Just a thought.

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Thu 08-Nov-12 06:29 AM
2495 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: LR 4. 2 setup"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 08-Nov-12 06:30 AM by Antero52

Vantaa, FI

In-camera settings like “Vivd”, “Landscape”, plus various sharpening settings affect generation of jpg images but not raw files. The settings are stored in the header part of the raw files, however, from where NX2 reads them and processes the raw file according to those settings. Adobe products don’t do that, and the only setting that Adobe products read from NEF files is White Balance, which is used if you set WB to “As Shot” in LR/ACR. If you want a “snappy jpg look” to your images with LR, you must change the settings (Camera calibration, eg Vivid or Landscape, saturation, vibrance, clarity) yourself. Or, you can create LR presets for your most common settings, plus you can embed your most favored settings in the Import presets.

As regards the “snappy jpg look”, it’s an easy way to get good contrast in the well-exposed parts of your photos, sacrificing shadow and highlight detail. I believe that the more you learn the art of post-processing, the more you’ll want to begin with conservative settings (Camera Portrait, Camera Neutral, Camera Standard, Adobe Standard) and work up contrast and clarity with local settings. The idea is to build up clarity, contrast and vibrance only where it is needed. If you have an overly busy bokeh, it does little good to your photo to have the busy bokeh boosted by automatic or global clarity and sharpness enhancements.

Regards, Antero

P.S. Mods, please: the wavy red underline for flagging typos is nice, but can someone teach the proofreader that "vibrance" and "bokeh" are words?

BGD600 Registered since 19th Sep 2012Thu 08-Nov-12 12:00 PM
#7. "RE: LR 4. 2 setup"
In response to Reply # 6

GB

>In-camera settings like “Vivd”, “Landscape”, plus various
>sharpening settings affect generation of jpg images but not
>raw files. The settings are stored in the header part of the
>raw files, however, from where NX2 reads them and processes
>the raw file according to those settings. Adobe products don’t
>do that, and the only setting that Adobe products read from
>NEF files is White Balance, which is used if you set WB to “As
>Shot” in LR/ACR. If you want a “snappy jpg look” to your
>images with LR, you must change the settings (Camera
>calibration, eg Vivid or Landscape, saturation, vibrance,
>clarity) yourself. Or, you can create LR presets for your most
>common settings, plus you can embed your most favored settings
>in the Import presets.
>
>As regards the “snappy jpg look”, it’s an easy way to get good
>contrast in the well-exposed parts of your photos, sacrificing
>shadow and highlight detail. I believe that the more you learn
>the art of post-processing, the more you’ll want to begin with
>conservative settings (Camera Portrait, Camera Neutral, Camera
>Standard, Adobe Standard) and work up contrast and clarity
>with local settings. The idea is to build up clarity, contrast
>and vibrance only where it is needed. If you have an overly
>busy bokeh, it does little good to your photo to have the busy
>bokeh boosted by automatic or global clarity and sharpness
>enhancements.
>
>Regards, Antero
>
>P.S. Mods, please: the wavy red underline for flagging typos
>is nice, but can someone teach the proofreader that
>"vibrance" and "bokeh" are words?
>

Thanks for your reply, but all this I already know.

My query is whether anyone has setup a profile of their own that mimics the in camera processing, so I don't have to go to the time and trouble to do it myself (yes, I know I am being lazy)

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Thu 08-Nov-12 12:47 PM
2495 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: LR 4. 2 setup"
In response to Reply # 7
Thu 08-Nov-12 12:48 PM by Antero52

Vantaa, FI

> “Thanks for your reply, but all this I already know. My query is whether anyone has setup a profile of their own that mimics the in camera processing …”

If you know and understand what I wrote, it should be clear that in-camera processing cannot be mimicked in LR because LR doesn’t read the in-camera settings, apart from WB.

So the answer to your query is: no one has and no one ever will.

You will get as close as possible to the straight-from-camera jpg look if you always keep your camera to the same profile (Standard, Portrait, Vivid, Landscape, etc.) and set LR to use the “LR-equivalent” profile as your default in the import settings. But if you use and vary in-camera settings like sharpening, ADL or the like, there’s no way that LR4 can be set up to honor those settings.

Antero

BGD600 Registered since 19th Sep 2012Fri 09-Nov-12 02:54 PM
#9. "RE: LR 4. 2 setup"
In response to Reply # 8

GB

>> “Thanks for your reply, but all this I already know. My
>query is whether anyone has setup a profile of their own that
>mimics the in camera processing …”
>
>If you know and understand what I wrote, it should be clear
>that in-camera processing cannot be mimicked in LR because LR
>doesn’t read the in-camera settings, apart from WB.
>
>So the answer to your query is: no one has and no one ever
>will.
>
>You will get as close as possible to the straight-from-camera
>jpg look if you always keep your camera to the same profile
>(Standard, Portrait, Vivid, Landscape, etc.) and set LR to use
>the “LR-equivalent” profile as your default in the import
>settings. But if you use and vary in-camera settings like
>sharpening, ADL or the like, there’s no way that LR4 can be
>set up to honor those settings.
>
>Antero
>
>
>
You've missed the point of my question, but thanks for having a stab at it.

Another thread shows that LR 4.3 is now available with LR camera profiles, so I'll have a nose at that and see if it delivers (or gets close to it).

thanks again

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #9172 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.