nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #9137
View in linear mode

Subject: "Lightroom or cs5 controlled by voice" Previous topic | Next topic
grosander Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Feb 2009Fri 26-Oct-12 03:46 AM
188 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Lightroom or cs5 controlled by voice"

Lancaster, US

Has anyone used voxenable along with Dragon to contol Lightroom or CS5?
I'd be interested in your observations.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Lightroom or cs5 controlled by voice
Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional.
29th Oct 2012
grosander Silver Member
31st Oct 2012
Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional.
31st Oct 2012
archivue Gold Member
31st Oct 2012
grosander Silver Member
01st Nov 2012
archivue Gold Member
01st Nov 2012
k photon
04th Nov 2012
grosander Silver Member
07th Nov 2012

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Mon 29-Oct-12 09:30 AM
2563 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Lightroom or cs5 controlled by voice"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 29-Oct-12 09:31 AM by Antero52

Vantaa, FI

I don’t see any point in doing so, unless the person is handicapped to the point that I can’t imagine they can point a camera and shoot pictures in the first place. Voice commands are OK when you tell your phone or in-car navigator to perform an act until completion (call wife, navigate to home). Post-processing photographs isn’t like that, or it is only if you use very simple commands like “auto tone”, “auto WB” or the like. But imagine painting a layer mask with verbal commands: expand cursor size to 120pt, more, more … soften cursor, more, more, go back … start painting layer mask, with left key depressed, move cursor in direction 30 degrees, move, move, move, now turn right by 10 degrees, move forward, oops, back up. I can’t imagine anyone describing in words all the cursor movements. FWIW, the cursor movements are so loaded with data that you can’t even record them in Photoshop macros.

Regards, Antero

grosander Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Feb 2009Wed 31-Oct-12 11:44 AM
188 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Lightroom or cs5 controlled by voice"
In response to Reply # 1

Lancaster, US

Antero,
Imagine if you would that you have parkinson's and only one hand works well.
The use of voice commands would greatly assist you in manipulating your way through Photoshop.
You would still be able to take pictures using a tripod and a cable release.
You would still be able to edit your pictures but the Task would be greatly facilitated through use of voice commands.
You are right that it would be difficult to use voice commands to manipulate the cursor. However there are many situations in which one can manipulate the cursor other ways.
In addition, speech recognition programs allow you to combine many commands into one voice command, much like the Photoshop actions.
Since I have parkinson's, but it is not that bad yet, I thought I'd experiment with voice commands or speech recognition to more effectively use Photoshop.
Glenn

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Wed 31-Oct-12 06:52 PM
2563 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Lightroom or cs5 controlled by voice"
In response to Reply # 2

Vantaa, FI

Glenn

I am very sorry to hear about your condition. I hope science and doctors can make you better. Now that I understand your situation, what I suggest is that you create some Photoshop macros for doing all kinds of auto functions, plus more macros for reducing/increasing exposure, contrast, saturation and whatnot. Although normal mouse functions will be almost impossible to control by voice, it should be possible to couple PS macros with voice commands.

Regards, Antero

archivue Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Mar 2002Wed 31-Oct-12 10:53 PM
5525 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Lightroom or cs5 controlled by voice"
In response to Reply # 2

Paris, FR

In such a case, I might suggest (if I may) LR more then CS...!
Building up presets, by voice or with the help of someone else, might allow for a quicker and more precise voice command over post processing. As most pictures would just need simple corrections, keeping more difficult PPs for a better day ?
The library part as the printing part would follow easily ( at least it's easy to say for me ) and you would have most of the work done through an unique software, from the loading of the pictures to the printing.

I stopped using CS for photography since the arrival of Aperture and Lightroom, and unless you're fond of "collages" and other de-cluttering, or of art making on the basis of photographs, I'm not so sure it's so handy !

On the technical part of how to do it in "real life", I don't know, but by calling around our Nikonians experts (after Sandy), I guess that we will all find out the best way to do it...

Take care,

Jacques

"Un photographe, finalement, c'est quelqu'un comme les autres, mais qui prend des photos." - Man Ray
My Gallery...
My Other Gallery...

grosander Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Feb 2009Thu 01-Nov-12 05:22 PM
#5. "RE: Lightroom or cs5 controlled by voice"
In response to Reply # 4

Lancaster, US

Thank you for your help. I also have switched to light room. It does about 90% of my pictures. However, there is a program called voxenable that has, in conjunction with Dragon NaturallySpeaking, preprogrammed the CS5 instructions so I thought I would try it out. I am not aware of any equivalent program with light room. I was hoping that someone on nikonians would have used or tried something in this area.
The reason I use Dragon instead of the Microsoft supplied speech program is that it is much more accurate for me. I am presently using Dragon to dictate this message. Also the Dragon company is doing much more work in the area of adapting speech recognition to common Computer tasks than anything I am aware of with Microsoft. I appreciate your ideas of using Photoshop actions and I will try that. If you could direct me to people that are trying this stuff out I would appreciate. Thanks, Glenn.

archivue Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Mar 2002Thu 01-Nov-12 06:20 PM
5525 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Lightroom or cs5 controlled by voice"
In response to Reply # 5

Paris, FR

You might want to see this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVjmZMLrF_Y
I think Paddy is free and works only on windows, you might give it a try ?

Jacques

"Un photographe, finalement, c'est quelqu'un comme les autres, mais qui prend des photos." - Man Ray
My Gallery...
My Other Gallery...

k photon Registered since 24th Nov 2002Sun 04-Nov-12 05:48 PM
460 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Lightroom or cs5 controlled by voice"
In response to Reply # 5

Phoenix, US

Have you checked out Knowbrainer? https://www.knowbrainer.com/

They work extensively with speech recognition, hardware and software, and are very responsive to individual needs.

Cheers

Adobe Photoshop CS6 News + Info for Photographers

Free Printable Chart of ISO – Shutter Speeds – F stops

grosander Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Feb 2009Wed 07-Nov-12 06:01 PM
#8. "RE: Lightroom or cs5 controlled by voice"
In response to Reply # 7

Lancaster, US

thanks

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #9137 Previous topic | Next topic