Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #9128
View in linear mode

Subject: "Urgent help needed / odd crop sizes in PS!" Previous topic | Next topic
guyparker Registered since 21st Dec 2005Thu 25-Oct-12 06:14 PM
953 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"Urgent help needed / odd crop sizes in PS!"

Rugby, GB

I often use the crop function in Lightroom, but now is the first time when these crops have been crucial to me as I don't usually send to print. The problem is that when I crop to say 8x6 in lightroom it never actually is 8x6. I'll open in photoshop and it'll be 11.64x8.73 inches. Why is this? What am I doing wrong and how can I ensure that when I crop to 8x6 it actually is 8x6?

I'm trying to get some photos printed for a friend for his birthday, but I need to get this sorted.

Also, does anyone kno any high quality printers in the UK? I've heard good things about Pro-am imaging, but I registered with them but have found their website to be so badly designed and difficult to understand that I can't be bothered with them. Plus a min of £6 just for sending by regular first class post - What is that about?!!! Their profile download doesn't even work either.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Urgent help needed / odd crop sizes in PS!
briantilley Moderator
25th Oct 2012
Bump57 Silver Member
26th Oct 2012
Antero52 Silver Member
26th Oct 2012
guyparker
29th Oct 2012
elcee Silver Member
29th Oct 2012
rwwright Platinum Member
30th Oct 2012

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Thu 25-Oct-12 10:10 PM
28865 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Urgent help needed / odd crop sizes in PS!"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

A digital image file doesn't really have dimensions in inches (or centimetres...). All it has are pixel dimensions. The physical print size depends on the DPI (dots per inch) print setting.

So, if you re-size an image to an 8x6 ratio, it could be something like 2400x1800 pixels. That would print at 8x6 inches at a setting of 300 DPI , but at 12x9 inches if you use a setting of 200 DPI.

It sounds like your Lightroom and PS installations have different default DPI settings.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Bump57 Silver Member Awarded for his high skill level in Landscape and Nature Photography and willingness to share his learning experiences to help others. Nikonian since 01st Apr 2007Fri 26-Oct-12 03:40 AM
6519 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Urgent help needed / odd crop sizes in PS!"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 26-Oct-12 03:40 AM by Bump57

US

Hi Guy,

I know why this is just not sure I can explain it properly. When you use the crop tool in LR you are not really cropping or resizing. You are just changing the aspect ratio from what ever the ratio was to start with.

In Photoshop say your native out of camera image is 8 x 12 (it's not but lets just say it is) and you crop it to 4 x 6. By default in Photoshop it actually changes/re-sizes the image to 4 x 6. In Lightroom cropping the same image to 4 x 6 doesn't do anything as the aspect ratio is the same as the 8 x 12 which is a 2:3 aspect ratio. So when you crop an image in Lightroom to 4 x 6 and then open it up in PS to edit it remains a 8 x 12 image because nothing changed in LR. The only way the cropped 4 x 6 image in LR becomes truly a 4 x 6 is if you export the image and choose to make it 6 inches on the long end. At that time if you now open the up the exported image it is indeed 4 x 6.

Now lets say you crop an image to 8 x 10 in LR. Although you are not changing the actual size you are cropping off some of the original image for it to fit in the new 8 x 10 ratio which is a 4:5 ratio. At this point the image is not actually 8 x 10 it is just in that aspect ratio and will be an odd size (although in the right aspect ratio for an 8 x 10) when you open it up in PS for editing. Now if you export that same image and choose to make the long edge 10 inches it will now be 8 x 10 when you open it up in PS.

I hope that helps a little and does not confuse the issue.

Scott Martin Sternberg

Scotts Fine Art

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Fri 26-Oct-12 06:29 AM
2504 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Urgent help needed / odd crop sizes in PS!"
In response to Reply # 0

Vantaa, FI

When PS shows you the image size in inches, what function are you using? File info? Image resize? If Image resize, you can set the units PS will use and see the dimensions of the same image in pixels.

There are a couple of reasons why programs like Lightroom and Photoshop attach a pixels per inch ratio (eg 300 ppi) to images. First, if your art director requires originals at 300 ppi, you can see how large you can print from your image. And when you import a pixel image to an illustration program that uses real-world units, that illustration program should have a default value for scaling the pixel image to inches or centimeters. Several years ago I cropped some bitmap images with an early version of a "paint" program (possibly Windows paint). When I imported the cropped bitmap image to an illustration program (Corel Draw), the bitmap image was blown up to the maximum limits supported by the program. Why? Because the paint program I used for cropping set pixels per inch to zero, which means that the physical dimensions must be infinite for all the pixels to fit into the given real-world dimensions.

As others have said, for general photography, you can ignore the inch dimensions and just count the pixels.

Regards, Antero

guyparker Registered since 21st Dec 2005Mon 29-Oct-12 05:06 PM
953 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Urgent help needed / odd crop sizes in PS!"
In response to Reply # 3

Rugby, GB

Thank everyone for their help. I get it now! And I checked the PPI settings and they are set up in preferences the same in LR & PS (300dpi).

What I still dont understand though is why when I upload a 8x6 to photobox, in the preview (within photobox) it tends to crop it just fractionally as though it wasn't actually cropped to 8x6 in the first place.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

elcee Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Nov 2005Mon 29-Oct-12 07:03 PM
6215 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Urgent help needed / odd crop sizes in PS!"
In response to Reply # 4

Albuquerque, US

Probably because it wasn't cropped to 8x6 {1.33:1}, as you expected.
USA's Costco Photo Labs explain it like this {my comments}:

"Preview and Cropping From your Cart

During the printing process there might automatically be some cropping due to the difference between the aspect ratio of pictures taken on some digital cameras and the aspect ratio of standard print sizes. The Costco Photo Center crop tool allows you to take control of how your photo will be cropped in order to make sure that your photo looks exactly as you would like. Use the crop tool to effectively crop your photo so that the details of your photo are not lost during printing."

and

"Digital pictures are taken in an aspect ratio of 4x5.3 {1.325:1; my d200 images are 1.49:1} so a small portion of the top and bottom will be lost with a 4x6 print." {extrapolate to other sizes}

Hopefully, this will help clarify and not mud-ify.

~LarryC (eLCee)

rwwright Platinum Member Nikonian since 23rd Feb 2003Tue 30-Oct-12 02:19 PM
595 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Urgent help needed / odd crop sizes in PS!"
In response to Reply # 0

Fairview, TX, US

you know the print feature in lightroom works very well. why are you using photoshop to print

My Gallery

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #9128 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.