Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #9104
View in linear mode

Subject: "Converting to .dng in Lightroom" Previous topic | Next topic
photomia Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2011Sat 20-Oct-12 03:14 AM
161 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Converting to .dng in Lightroom"

MD, US

I confuse easily, especially when it comes to Lightroom!

Now I have the ability to convert to .dng while taking my images from my card to Lightroom. So now it appears that after all is said and done, I have a RAW image, a .dng image, then a .psd after post-processing and then a .jpg if I want to make a copy to email. How an anyone say that converting to .dng safes file space if the RAW image is still kept? Or am I missing something?

Thanks,

Pat

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Converting to .dng in Lightroom
Antero52 Silver Member
20th Oct 2012
photomia Silver Member
20th Oct 2012
blw Moderator
20th Oct 2012
Antero52 Silver Member
20th Oct 2012
quenton8 Silver Member
20th Oct 2012

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Sat 20-Oct-12 06:39 AM
2500 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Converting to .dng in Lightroom"
In response to Reply # 0

Vantaa, FI

The idea is to store the raw offline, or not at all, after converting to dng. When you're satisfied with your psd, you can delete the dng, if the raw is stored safely in your backup archive. And jpg files are never imported to LR in the first place. They are exported from the master images and never seen by LR again.

Regards, Antero

photomia Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2011Sat 20-Oct-12 12:27 PM
161 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Converting to .dng in Lightroom"
In response to Reply # 1

MD, US

Good Morning from Annapolis, Maryland, USA

Thank you for your quick and very clear response. I am confused by the suggestion to delete the .dng. I thought the reason for converting from RAW to .dng was for the future when RAW may not be recognized?

Pat

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sat 20-Oct-12 01:42 PM
26589 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Converting to .dng in Lightroom"
In response to Reply # 2

Richmond, US

Just skip the dng entirely. It's a completely unnecessary step until the day comes when nikon and adobe both drop support for the nef format. When that day comes - if it comes - then you can convert. Personally I'm not expecting to have to worry about that problem.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Sat 20-Oct-12 05:27 PM
2500 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Converting to .dng in Lightroom"
In response to Reply # 2

Vantaa, FI

Pat

1. Just as Brian said, there are very few reasons for converting to dng, so you may skip the dng conversion altogether.

2. What I meant is that when you have processed you raw file, be it nef or dng, to a psd file, and when you are satisfied with it, and assuming you have archived the raw file somewhere safe, there's no need to store the raw file in LR anymore. Of course, for the majority of images, which are processed with LR's own adjustments, you do keep the raw file.

Regards, Antero

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Sat 20-Oct-12 02:17 PM
1222 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Converting to .dng in Lightroom"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

Converting to DNG is an "interesting issue".

You will find a few threads on it here that you might want to read.

To brief ...
- why bother?
- adobe supports NEF
- nikon supports NEF
- not many programs other than Adobe support DNG
- you can always change your mind in the future sometime

----
Dennis Smith.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #9104 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.