nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #9099
View in linear mode

Subject: "LR3 workflow suggestions appreciated." Previous topic | Next topic
photomia Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2011Sat 20-Oct-12 12:20 AM
163 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"LR3 workflow suggestions appreciated."

MD, US

Hello,

I just reorganized a folder on my external hard drive. Now, understandibly , LR3 can't find the files/images. What is the best course of action here? Do I import the newly organized folder into LR and then delete the "incorrect" folder that LR currently has?

And - I am going to upgrade to LR4. I would like to start over, because I made a pretty mess when I first set up my LR3. Can I simply create a new catalog, import everything into LR4 and then delete LR3?

And, again...I have heard scary things about upgrading to LR4. Is this so?

Thanks. I am always amazed at the help I received from Nikonians.

Pat

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: LR3 workflow suggestions appreciated.
blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
20th Oct 2012
photomia Silver Member
20th Oct 2012
photomia Silver Member
20th Oct 2012
blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
21st Oct 2012
HenkB Silver Member
21st Oct 2012

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sat 20-Oct-12 02:20 AM
26951 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: LR3 workflow suggestions appreciated."
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

I strongly caution NOT to just reimport. That will lose all of your previous edits! Go to the navigator (on the left of the Library) and right-click to get Find Missing and have it look for each of the missing directories.

To upgrade to LR4, do the following:

1) in LR3, do File->Optimize Catalog.
2) quit - this will allow you to back up the catalog.
3) Start LR4.
4) choose the LR3 catalog as the source; it will ask for how to name the new (LR4) catalog.

Step well back, let it churn.

Most LR4 horror stories have to do with rearranged folders - which as you can see, are not peculiar to LR4 at all.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

photomia Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2011Sat 20-Oct-12 04:03 AM
163 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: LR3 workflow suggestions appreciated."
In response to Reply # 1

MD, US

Thanks, Brian. There are some days when I long to be back in Bridge. I find LR extremely cumbersome with a lot of busywork to get something accomplished. I liked "save as" so much better than "export"!

Pat

photomia Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2011Sat 20-Oct-12 04:24 AM
#3. "RE: LR3 workflow suggestions appreciated."
In response to Reply # 1

MD, US

I just reread the part about losing my edits. How can I lose the edits if I export the edited versions to my external hard drive or should I just keep the edited versions in Lightroom. (But it's my understanding that the Lightroom version isn't "real"). Plus if I want to email a .jpeg I have to export first, don't I? I am finding Lightroom a huge can of worms! I spend more time messing with Lightroom than I do working with my images!

This is what I do. I get my images from my card to LR3. I post process, sometimes only in LR, but sometimes continue in Photoshop. When I do continue in Photoshop, I have to save, which gives me two (or three!) versions now (the .dng or RAW and the .psd - that's another issue for me!) and the .psd. Then, for example, I want to email the edited version to my daughter which means I have to convert to .jpeg, so I drop to 72ppi and send her a .jpeg. Then she wants to print a few of the images so I have to go back to my .psd to make a larger .jpeg increase the ppi and email to her. Am I doing this right?

Thanks,

Pat

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sun 21-Oct-12 03:49 AM
26951 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: LR3 workflow suggestions appreciated."
In response to Reply # 3

Richmond, US

I think you're just not clearly identifying which things are of value and for how long, and much of that just comes with experience.

I import directly from the card to LR. Most of the files are handled exclusively in LR (I use LR4 now, but the same occurred in LR3). Normally all of the edits are stored in the LR catalog. All of them, for the entire library. So if your files get disassociated from the catalog, ordinarily you lose your edits. One way to guard against this is saving those edits in a .xmp "side car" file - a little file external file that essentially holds just the editing instructions. I do this - you have to enable that option in LR's preferences menu somewhere. Then if you lose the catalog, you can re-import the files and tell LR to pick up the .xmp sidecars, and you'll be back to where you were. But without the sidecars, no catalog = no edits.

Anyway, once I edit them in LR, there's basically just the NEF and the catalog. If I have to edit further in Photoshop, that creates a PSD or TIF file. These are relatively permanent files too. They represent an intermediate, or possibly finished state of the image. I usually create stacks in LR to avoid having to look at so many copies, but this is just a convenience thing.

The jpegs are all transient. In fact, LR4 has a feature that basically couples the Export directly to sending email - click on the file, then do File -> Email Photo. The jpeg is created, passed to email, and then transparently gotten rid of. In general if I send a file such as you are sending to your caughter, I do File -> Export and then send on the resulting jpeg. I will almost certainly delete it as soon as I've used it, too. Why keep it? It's trivial to re-generate it from LR, and anyway I may have improved the editing by the time I want to use it again.

You'll notice that I have no dng's anywhere in this process.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

HenkB Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2004Sun 21-Oct-12 04:46 AM
542 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: LR3 workflow suggestions appreciated."
In response to Reply # 3

Wayland, US

Lightroom has the happy ability to remember every edit you have ever applied to an image (as long as you didn't scroll down the history list, select a spot, and start editing once again) and cumulatively display the results, bottom to top, on the fly. Rather than your exports, this is what was meant by edits you could lose.

So, if you import an image and can use LR to get it just the way you want it, you now have the original, unmodified nef or dng as well as all the instructions necessary to get it to what you now think is its finished stage. What you are looking at with satisfaction is just that - the original as it will appear when you export it to a new file in which the list of instructions you have generated is finally physically applied to the original image info. If you send your nef or dng to friends, they would see the original without the edits. All that slider manipulation resides in the catalog (or sidecar files) and not the image. This is radically different from a psd or a layered tiff file that carries all the current edits within it but none of the other history - that gets lost as soon as you close the file. And, yeah, I had a hard time grokking not having to save, too.

If you do port an image to PS, once you are satisfied with your psd version make sure you choose Maximize Compatibility in the save dialog and that it goes back to LR as a Tiff or psd. You can use LR to further edit and export that file in the same ways as an image that didn't go to PS - it doesn't have to go back to PS for any reason unless you want to modify it further in ways that only PS can do. You can also make presets in LR for export (and lots of other settings, as well). So you can have a preset for your daughter via email, for your daughter to print, for your daughter to post on FaceBook, etc., etc. all for the cost of selecting the image, and selecting Export with Preset from the File menu.

Best,

Hendrik

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #9099 Previous topic | Next topic