Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #8011
View in linear mode

Subject: "Ongoing LR4 issues" Previous topic | Next topic
DMKerr Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Feb 2010Sat 23-Jun-12 08:48 PM
236 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Ongoing LR4 issues"

US

I'm still dealing with unresponsive sliders and slow application of adjustments with LR4.1 has anyone had any luck correcting issues? I know some were never effected and some issues were corrected with the 4.1 release but I wondering if any of you who had issues after 4.1 have gained any ground.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Ongoing LR4 issues
Bump57 Silver Member
24th Jun 2012
kj_fi Silver Member
24th Jun 2012
Bump57 Silver Member
24th Jun 2012
DMKerr Silver Member
24th Jun 2012
kj_fi Silver Member
24th Jun 2012
DMKerr Silver Member
24th Jun 2012
DMKerr Silver Member
10th Jul 2012
Bump57 Silver Member
10th Jul 2012

Bump57 Silver Member Awarded for his high skill level in Landscape and Nature Photography and willingness to share his learning experiences to help others. Nikonian since 01st Apr 2007Sun 24-Jun-12 02:52 AM
6463 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Ongoing LR4 issues"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hey Doug,

After upgrading to 4.1 my issues have all been corrected as far as I can tell. The speed has been much improved, in fact I am thinking it might even be a little fast then 3.6... Sorry to here you are still have issues as I know first hand how frustrating that can be. Have you tried rebuilding all your previews from scratch? That has helped some people in terms of speed.

Scott Martin Sternberg

Scotts Fine Art

kj_fi Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Jul 2007Sun 24-Jun-12 07:46 AM
307 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Ongoing LR4 issues"
In response to Reply # 0

Vantaa, FI

Hi,

I think LR 4.1 is clearly faster than version 4.0.

A small cosmetic bug in the Library module is not yet fixed, though: when moving the mouse from the image area to the panel of keywords on the right (e.g., to set check marks to the names of persons found in the current picture), the cursor changes to left-right resizing arrow in between the panels but does not always change back to the pointer arrow on the keyword panel side. Of course, the mouse still keeps working.

I use a 64-bit Windows version of Lightroom.

Best regards,
Kari

Bump57 Silver Member Awarded for his high skill level in Landscape and Nature Photography and willingness to share his learning experiences to help others. Nikonian since 01st Apr 2007Sun 24-Jun-12 04:26 PM
6463 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Ongoing LR4 issues"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Now that you have brought this up Kari I have noticed this with the mouse cursor.

Scott Martin Sternberg

Scotts Fine Art

DMKerr Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Feb 2010Sun 24-Jun-12 05:02 PM
236 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Ongoing LR4 issues"
In response to Reply # 3

US

I have completely rebuilt the catalog with no luck. I'm hoping we'll see a fix soon. the results for this program are excellent but the performance lag is something I can only tolerate for short periods of time

kj_fi Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Jul 2007Sun 24-Jun-12 06:21 PM
307 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Ongoing LR4 issues"
In response to Reply # 4

Vantaa, FI

Hi,

you did not tell what kind of computer you're using (Windows or Mac), how old it is, how many cores the CPU has or how much RAM you have.

One place to check is the Camera Raw Cache Settings in the File Handling tab of the Preferences dialog. I belive the default is 1 GB. I learned from an Adobe web site recommending setting this to 10 GB or more.

Another tip might be to render proper size preview when importing images. Then the change between normal and 1:1 view does not take so long.

Certainly it helps to have more cores or CPUs and RAM. Having a fast hard disk helps, too, but I don't think many of us would be willing to buy a whole new computer just to do some post-processing.

I have a 4-core AMD CPU (four year old machine), 6 GB of RAM, a quite ordinary hard drive and relatively modest graphics adapter. I can see that all the cores are in full use when Lightroom renders images. I also have a 24 inch monitor and usually run Lightroom at maximum size. That means that the image shows a lot of pixels. I don't know how much this affects the performance. I also don't know if Lightroom is capable of using NVidia GPU to perform computations; probably not.

Best regards,
Kari

DMKerr Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Feb 2010Sun 24-Jun-12 06:33 PM
#6. "RE: Ongoing LR4 issues"
In response to Reply # 5

US

admittedly my machine is not ideal for this work but LR3.6 was MUCH faster. I'm running a dual core 32 bit windows machine with 4Gb ram. I have my Camera Raw Cache set to 40Gb. I do render to full size on import. I am in need of a hardware upgrade but its just not in the cards right now. I just hope a workable fix will allow me to run 4.1 on this machine.

DMKerr Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Feb 2010Tue 10-Jul-12 12:13 PM
#7. "RE: Ongoing LR4 issues"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Update : Im a little embarrassed that i disnt think to check for this issue in the very begging but now that I have I thought I would remind others here. It seems a great deal of the issues I've been having were caused by older video drivers. Once updated things are much better.

Bump57 Silver Member Awarded for his high skill level in Landscape and Nature Photography and willingness to share his learning experiences to help others. Nikonian since 01st Apr 2007Tue 10-Jul-12 01:14 PM
#8. "RE: Ongoing LR4 issues"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Good news Sir,

Glad to hear you got some relief. : )

Scott Martin Sternberg

Scotts Fine Art

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #8011 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.