nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #7922
View in linear mode

Subject: "D3200" Previous topic | Next topic
Locton Registered since 14th Jun 2012Thu 14-Jun-12 07:29 PM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D3200"

Farnham, UK

i am having problems with raw files not opening with the adobe dng convertor for the nikon 3200 camera.

i have created two new folders on my desktop & dragged my raw files to a folder marked "RAW files to be converted" and have another folder marked " converted dng files" for the converted files.

i have downloaded the latest version of camera raw 6.7.0.399 & dng convertor 7.1 (354)

every time i try to convert the files i get the message below.

also what i find strange is that when i drag the raw files from iphoto into the Raw files to be converted folder they change to jpg files.

my original RAW files are imported & saved in iphoto, the nikon software (view NX 2) is not used to import the files from the camera.

i am working on a mac.

any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D3200
redtail Silver Member
08th Jul 2012
Locton
08th Jul 2012
Locton
08th Jul 2012
blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
09th Jul 2012
Locton
09th Jul 2012
09th Jul 2012
Locton
09th Jul 2012
Bump57 Silver Member Awarded for his high skill level in Landscape and Nature Photography and willingness to share his learning experiences to help others. Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
10th Jul 2012
Locton
10th Jul 2012
10th Jul 2012
Locton
10th Jul 2012
10th Jul 2012

redtail Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Dec 2007Sun 08-Jul-12 08:17 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D3200"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I have the exact problem. Have you gotten an answer

Locton Registered since 14th Jun 2012Sun 08-Jul-12 11:09 PM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D3200"
In response to Reply # 1

Farnham, UK

Hi just picked up on your post, the short answer is yes i have got the solution. it took ages & many phone calls to both nikon & adobe getting absolutely nowhere.

i finally got the answer from the guys at N Photo magazine but only after a few e-mails going back & forth, but got there in the end.

so i gather you are trying to convert neff files from Iphoto to open in camera raw/photoshop?

i found it easier to start by doing the following, create two new folders on your desktop, call one RAW files to be converted & the other one Converted DNG files ( you can call these two folders whatever you want as it is only for ease of reference).

if this is the case you need to do the following. when you open I Photo, select the images you want to convert then go to file menu select export & then open the kind menu & select originals, then select export, this will then bring up your folders on your desktop or wherever you decided to keep the two folders, select the folder RAW files to be converted & press ok. this will put the selected files into this folder. press ok again & it will start to export the selected files.

if you now go to the other folder converted DNG files they will be in there converted. now just double click on any file or use open with & they will now open in camera RAW.

let me know if any of this does not make sense or does not work.

Locton Registered since 14th Jun 2012Sun 08-Jul-12 11:20 PM
#3. "RE: D3200"
In response to Reply # 2

Farnham, UK

Sorry, getting late in the evening, i forgot to mention that after you have exported from i photo, you will need to use adobe DNG converter before you can open in camera RAW.

so once you have done the above & before you can open in camera RAW use the converter, if you don't know how to use the converter let me know?

remember you need to select the folder & not the individual file with the converter.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Mon 09-Jul-12 05:04 PM
26906 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: D3200"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

The D3200 is supported only by ACR 7.1 and later - 6.7 doesn't have support. This, of course, requires an upgrade to the latest software - Elements, CS6, LR4 all come with ACR 7.x.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Locton Registered since 14th Jun 2012Mon 09-Jul-12 06:44 PM
#5. "RE: D3200"
In response to Reply # 4

Farnham, UK

Sorry you are wrong, i have CS5 & Camera RAW 6.7, i use DNG converter 7.1 & i now have no problems using any of the software with my D3200.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Mon 09-Jul-12 09:23 PM
26906 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: D3200"
In response to Reply # 5

Richmond, US

Perhaps, perhaps not. ACR 6.7 doesn't open D3200 files directly. ACR 7.1 does - no conversion involved.

_____

Locton Registered since 14th Jun 2012Mon 09-Jul-12 11:06 PM
#7. "RE: D3200"
In response to Reply # 6

Farnham, UK

yes you are right, if someone wanted to open directly into P/S you would need CS6 & the latest Camera RAW.

but i was talking about my situation & it works fine converting although i must admit it is the first time i have had to convert files & it is a pain, i would much rather open directly into Camera RAW or P/S.

i don't use lightroom or apeture, i have always used P/S since i first bought the limited edition many years ago & have upgraded ever since.

maybe i will upgrade to CS6, but i don't think it has any advantage over CS5 at least not for my use.

Bump57 Silver Member Awarded for his high skill level in Landscape and Nature Photography and willingness to share his learning experiences to help others. Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 01st Apr 2007Tue 10-Jul-12 02:18 PM
6655 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D3200"
In response to Reply # 7

US

"maybe i will upgrade to CS6, but i don't think it has any advantage over CS5 at least not for my use."

The advantage is, you won't have to convert your files to DNG.

Scott Martin Sternberg

Scotts Fine Art

Locton Registered since 14th Jun 2012Tue 10-Jul-12 04:40 PM
#9. "RE: D3200"
In response to Reply # 8

Farnham, UK

Yes there is that, but is it worth the extra money or is lightroom 4 or the latest version of aperture a better option.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 10-Jul-12 05:50 PM
#10. "RE: D3200"
In response to Reply # 9

Richmond, US

LR is a pretty different kind of thing than CS. I have them both, and I do most of the work in LR. All 'normal' editing is done in LR, including exposure management, graduated filters within reason, burning and dodging, most dust removal, most white balance adjustments (even with mixed light environments), contrast, split toning, sharpening, noise reduction, lens correction and most perspective management. That's a large proportion. I also use LR for asset management (which images do I have, and find me all of the ones that are like THIS).

But sometimes, Photoshop is required - generally if I have to fiddle with individual pixels, or if more advanced editing is required, such as cloning, patching, panos, stacking, special filtration (eg high pass), blur management, etc. I find that most of these things happen when I work with film scans, not with digital capture, but some digital capture needs this stuff too.

In short, I find LR to be significantly more useful to my way of doing photography than Photoshop, although I do find that I need Photoshop also.

_____

Locton Registered since 14th Jun 2012Tue 10-Jul-12 07:06 PM
#11. "RE: D3200"
In response to Reply # 10

Farnham, UK

i can see by your answer that lightroom looks more important to you than P/S & i can see what it gives you.

but i think as i like to manipulate images, P/S & C/Raw is okay for my present needs, although lightroom could give me better management control with my images than I Photo, especially as after i have changed the image i put the manipulated image in a new folder & leave the original in I Photo, this may sound crazy & probably is.

could it all be saved in lightroom therefore i would no longer need to keep duplicated images in different places, as sometimes i may have 4 or 5 variations + the original.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 10-Jul-12 09:32 PM
#12. "RE: D3200"
In response to Reply # 11
Tue 10-Jul-12 09:33 PM by blw

Richmond, US

LR has provisions to retain and manage multiple copies and editions of a given image. Stuff like snapshots and virtual copies. Normally this is done without literally duplicating the base image, too.

_____

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #7922 Previous topic | Next topic