Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #3947
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon D40 / Elements 5.0 problem..." This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
This message is locked.
tpjct Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Dec 2007Sun 27-Feb-11 03:57 PM
93 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon D40 / Elements 5.0 problem..."
Sun 27-Feb-11 04:56 PM by tpjct

Webster Groves, US

Took some 1000 images yesterday, 02/25/11, with my D40 of snow geese at a nearby lake. When I downloaded them into Elements 5.0 from the Sandisk card thru my Sandisk card reader,it placed them all into one folder , but didnt arrange the photos in time-taken order as it normally does. Just jumbled them up in no particular time taken sequence within that one folder.
Does anyone know why it would have done this and is there anything I can do now to place them in the normal time-taken order ?

NOTE : Just checked the EXIF data and the file name of the first image in the file shows as DSC_0001 with a time taken of 217pm. The last image in the file is named DSC_1003 with a time taken of 216pm. The actual time spent taking the pics was about 4.5 hours. So they are lined up according to file name/number from 0001-1003 , but jumbled up according to the time sequence they were taken. Would this indicate that the problem lies with the D40 rather than with Elements 5.0?

File no. sequence per page 86 of D40's user's manual is set to OFF (default).

When I go to the "import batch" or "date-newest first" option in Elements, it shows the photos lined up in the correct time-taken order. But when I go back to the original folder created by Elements, which is how I keep my photos sorted, they are all jumbled up again.

Have had this camera for about 5 years and it has never done this before.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Lyndsey Cogburn

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Top

Replies to this topic

Chuxter Registered since 14th Jan 2011Mon 28-Feb-11 01:32 PM
27 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon D40 / Elements 5.0 problem..."
In response to Reply # 0

Weatherford, US

It sounds as though your camera image sequence counter "rolled over" from 9999 to 0000 (or 0001)...it's only a 4-digit counter. Then, for some reason, PSE arranged them in file-number sequence, not time-order. I think your camera is working OK. I think PSE has somehow changed. I don't use the PSE Organizer, but I'll bet there is a setting that controls this behavior.

Charlie Davis

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Mon 28-Feb-11 08:30 PM
11724 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon D40 / Elements 5.0 problem..."
In response to Reply # 0

McAllen, US

This is a duplicate of another post in the Digital Post Processing Forum which can be found here:

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=196&topic_id=65474&mesg_id=65474&page=

Please respond to the linked thread above. This thread is now locked.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #3947 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.