nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #15472
View in linear mode

Subject: "LR 5.6 vs 5.4" Previous topic | Next topic
westcoast Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Jan 2007Fri 15-Aug-14 08:47 PM
818 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"LR 5.6 vs 5.4"
Fri 15-Aug-14 08:51 PM by westcoast

California, US

I updated to v5.6 recently and it seems less stable. Has anyone else noticed this. I had no issues using 5.4, and in trying to play with some video clips this morning I had several errors. I finally decided to just go back to version 5.4. Did the exact same things with the same files in the older version with out any issues.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: LR 5.6 vs 5.4
JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
15th Aug 2014
elcee Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his sharing knowledge contributions to the community in addition to his words of encouragement for further advancement
15th Aug 2014
James_F Silver Member
16th Aug 2014
IainD Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
16th Aug 2014
dwr857 Silver Member
16th Aug 2014
westcoast Silver Member
16th Aug 2014
elcee Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his sharing knowledge contributions to the community in addition to his words of encouragement for further advancement
16th Aug 2014
westcoast Silver Member
16th Aug 2014
MarkM10431 Silver Member
26th Aug 2014
rorywquin Silver Member
01st Sep 2014
JECoutre Silver Member
18th Aug 2014
westcoast Silver Member
18th Aug 2014

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Fri 15-Aug-14 10:33 PM
5198 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: LR 5.6 vs 5.4"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

I find version 5.6 rock solid.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

elcee Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his sharing knowledge contributions to the community in addition to his words of encouragement for further advancement Nikonian since 01st Nov 2005Fri 15-Aug-14 11:46 PM
6838 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: LR 5.6 vs 5.4"
In response to Reply # 1

Albuquerque, US

I hadn't edited any video since v5.4, so I went back to those folders in my catalog. They played fine.
What kind of errors are you seeing, Jim?

~LarryC (eLCee)

James_F Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2007Sat 16-Aug-14 02:37 AM
435 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: LR 5.6 vs 5.4"
In response to Reply # 0

Prescott, US

No problems with LR5.6 and PS 2014 CC under OSX 10.9.4

Jim F. from Prescott, AZ
http://jamesfarrell.smugmug.com

IainD Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 21st May 2013Sat 16-Aug-14 03:24 AM
192 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: LR 5.6 vs 5.4"
In response to Reply # 3

Canterbury, AU

Working well for me, so far!
IainD

dwr857 Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Aug 2014Sat 16-Aug-14 03:29 AM
577 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: LR 5.6 vs 5.4"
In response to Reply # 4

Winston Salem, US

Samw here I have encountered no issues!

Don

westcoast Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Jan 2007Sat 16-Aug-14 04:54 AM
818 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: LR 5.6 vs 5.4"
In response to Reply # 5

California, US

Videos play, just making a few changes to tone or white balance, then going back and forth between the slide show and library resulted in the app hanging and or an error message. The only way to fix it was to close LR and then reopen, this did not and does not happen with v5.4. At least you can go backwards version wise and the catalogue still has everything I did in 5.6.

elcee Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his sharing knowledge contributions to the community in addition to his words of encouragement for further advancement Nikonian since 01st Nov 2005Sat 16-Aug-14 05:54 AM
6838 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: LR 5.6 vs 5.4"
In response to Reply # 6
Sun 17-Aug-14 04:26 PM by elcee

Albuquerque, US

Jim, don't overlook your Preferences. I'm fairly sure LR5.6 doesn't use the Preferences file from 5.4.
Compare the Preferences in each version.

Try unchecking the 'Limit video cache size' box in Preferences>File Handling.

Check out
http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/performance-hints.html

~LarryC (eLCee)

westcoast Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Jan 2007Sat 16-Aug-14 03:19 PM
#8. "RE: LR 5.6 vs 5.4"
In response to Reply # 7

California, US

Thank you for the link, I'll read through it and see if some settings may help.

MarkM10431 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Apr 2013Tue 26-Aug-14 02:24 AM
572 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: LR 5.6 vs 5.4"
In response to Reply # 6

jacksonville, US

i will occasionally get a memory error if I export a large number of Jpgs, but that's all

rorywquin Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Apr 2006Mon 01-Sep-14 03:53 AM
85 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: LR 5.6 vs 5.4"
In response to Reply # 11

AU

Mine has crashed a few times but, I've also had a problem with Norton (now fixed) so will see if that was not the issue.

JECoutre Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2008Mon 18-Aug-14 03:31 AM
338 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: LR 5.6 vs 5.4"
In response to Reply # 0

Concord, US

I've found 5.6 unstable compared to 5.4, specifically the adjustment brush does not always apply the adjusted features. I switched back to v5.4 and no problems. I've been traveling and haven't had time to investigate further.

D4 & D800E images using LR on a Win 8.1 Pro.
Jim

westcoast Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Jan 2007Mon 18-Aug-14 07:03 PM
#10. "RE: LR 5.6 vs 5.4"
In response to Reply # 9

California, US

I have decided to stay on 5.4 for now, I have older bodies so I don't have a need to switch. My video cache was set to 3 GB, so I don't think that was an issue. May be Adobe will release one more upgrade.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #15472 Previous topic | Next topic