Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #15357
View in linear mode

Subject: "LR wothout CC?" Previous topic | Next topic
limeyzen Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Aug 2011Mon 04-Aug-14 01:56 PM
365 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"LR wothout CC?"
Mon 04-Aug-14 02:00 PM by limeyzen

Waynesville, US

I have LR 5.5 installed but never used - yet. Bought it from Laura Shoe and just received her newsletter wherein she says that one can use LR without subscribing to CC but one loses access to certain modules. Actually she phrases it as "starting with LR 5.5 if you discontinue your subscription to CC you can continue to use LR but lose access to Develop and Map modules, sync to mobile devices... ."(paraphrased)

I'm confused (not hard to do since I am technology challenged). When I bought LR I thought it could be used in it's full functionality as a stand alone and separate from CC. This seems to say not. Help!!

Geoff

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: LR wothout CC?
esantos Moderator
04th Aug 2014
limeyzen Silver Member
04th Aug 2014
walkerr Administrator
04th Aug 2014
limeyzen Silver Member
04th Aug 2014
PSAGuy Silver Member
04th Aug 2014
esandy Silver Member
04th Aug 2014
MarkM10431 Silver Member
26th Aug 2014
walkerr Administrator
04th Aug 2014
limeyzen Silver Member
04th Aug 2014
jbloom Gold Member
04th Aug 2014
limeyzen Silver Member
04th Aug 2014
aolander Silver Member
05th Aug 2014
limeyzen Silver Member
05th Aug 2014
JonK Moderator
05th Aug 2014
PSAGuy Silver Member
01st Oct 2014
Pythagoras345 Silver Member
01st Oct 2014

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Mon 04-Aug-14 02:08 PM
11726 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: LR wothout CC?"
In response to Reply # 0

McAllen, US

If you purchased a perpetual license version of Lightroom (stand alone) you will continue to be able to use all modules. The catch is that once Adobe stops updating that version you will be left with a stagnant program. That is not necessarily a bad thing but if you like to stay up with the technology you are at a dead end. If you purchase the monthly subscription for LR and Photoshop this will never happen.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

limeyzen Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Aug 2011Mon 04-Aug-14 02:36 PM
365 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: LR wothout CC?"
In response to Reply # 1

Waynesville, US

Thank you for the prompt response Ernesto. Actually I was mistaken in my original in that I now remember that I purchased the instructions from Laura Shoe and the software from B&H as a special offer. No matter.

Just so I am clear, are you saying that if Adobe comes out with version 6 then I am at "a dead end"? Just want to make sure I understand what a "version" is!

Geoff

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Mon 04-Aug-14 03:30 PM
14699 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: LR wothout CC?"
In response to Reply # 2

Colorado Springs, US

LR 6 will be a new version, and you will need to buy a new license unless you're enrolled in CC.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

limeyzen Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Aug 2011Mon 04-Aug-14 03:32 PM
#4. "RE: LR wothout CC?"
In response to Reply # 3

Waynesville, US

Thank you.

Geoff

PSAGuy Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Nov 2008Mon 04-Aug-14 03:49 PM
1056 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: LR wothout CC?"
In response to Reply # 3
Mon 04-Aug-14 03:50 PM by PSAGuy

Lake Elmo, US

Interesting....so Rick...you mean LR6 will still be a stand alone version that I can buy ? It will be fully functional ?
I love LR and have had every version since the beginning.
I hate subscriptions however and want programs that reside on my machine.

Thanks

esandy Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2011Mon 04-Aug-14 04:13 PM
281 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: LR wothout CC?"
In response to Reply # 5

Wichita Falls, US

I too am trying to avoid the subscription model for as long as I can and according to Adobe, a LR stand alone version would be available for the forseeable future. So when LR6 comes out we should be able to buy a full or upgrade version.

Ed

MarkM10431 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Apr 2013Tue 26-Aug-14 01:27 AM
467 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: LR wothout CC?"
In response to Reply # 6

jacksonville, US

I tend to skip editions of software anyway, and sometimes I won't upgrade till I need to do something the program won't do. that said, if LR ever goes subscription, I'll buy a mac and move to whatever the mac software is.

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Mon 04-Aug-14 04:58 PM
14699 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: LR wothout CC?"
In response to Reply # 5

Colorado Springs, US

Yes, you will.

>Interesting....so Rick...you mean LR6 will still be a stand
>alone version that I can buy ? It will be fully functional ?
>I love LR and have had every version since the beginning.
>I hate subscriptions however and want programs that reside on
>my machine.
>
>Thanks

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

limeyzen Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Aug 2011Mon 04-Aug-14 05:27 PM
#8. "RE: LR wothout CC?"
In response to Reply # 7

Waynesville, US

This seems to fly in the face of what I interpreted Laura Shoe to be saying. I have sent her an e-mail asking for clarification and will post upon response since I surely do not, in my ignorance, want to misrepresent her.

Geoff

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Mon 04-Aug-14 06:47 PM
6836 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: LR wothout CC?"
In response to Reply # 8

Wethersfield, US

Geoff, I think you are misinterpreting what she said.

There are two ways of licensing LR:

1) Perpetual. A one-time payment that requires no subscription but that gives you no program updates beyond the current major version (5).

2) A CC subscription that is paid periodically and includes major-version updates.

What has changed is that formerly, if you had the subscription and allowed it to expire, LR became entirely nonfunctional. Now, it will remain functional but in a hobbled state, with some modules disabled. Again, this applies ONLY to LR licensed under the subscription model. Nothing has changed for those like you who have the perpetual license.

At least, that's my understanding.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

limeyzen Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Aug 2011Mon 04-Aug-14 07:33 PM
#10. "RE: LR wothout CC?"
In response to Reply # 9

Waynesville, US

Jon, yes that makes sense especially when you draw out the perpetual vs CC subscriptions comparison. I did revisit her site and what seems to be missing, at least to my search, is that comparison but perhaps it is reasonable, given the topic, to assume that the reader will understand that only the CC environment is being discussed. I will be interested to see her response. Thanks again for the clarification.

Geoff

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Tue 05-Aug-14 11:49 AM
3301 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: LR wothout CC?"
In response to Reply # 5

Nevis, US

"want programs that reside on my machine"

It does reside on your machine.

Alan

limeyzen Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Aug 2011Tue 05-Aug-14 01:24 PM
#12. "RE: LR wothout CC?"
In response to Reply # 11

Waynesville, US

Here is the reply from Laura Shoe. It is clear that absent the comparison that Jon drew out, I misunderstood so all is well.

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

Here's my post that you referred to. The forum respondents are correct - Adobe has stated that they plan to continue to offer the stand-alone version. Whether it's clear or not, my post is intended to address the concerns of people who do subscribe to the CC version.

Best regards,

Laura

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Tue 05-Aug-14 03:14 PM
4878 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: LR wothout CC?"
In response to Reply # 5

New York, US

RIck, when you subscribe to an Adobe CC product, you download it and it resides on your machine. You need not be on the internet to use it. Once in a while it needs to log into the mothership to ensure that you are still a subscriber and to check for updates.

Functionally it is the same as the stand-alone version, residing on your hard drive.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

PSAGuy Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Nov 2008Wed 01-Oct-14 06:21 PM
1056 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: LR wothout CC?"
In response to Reply # 13

Lake Elmo, US

Jon.... Ahhhh got it. Makes perfect sense. Thanks
The difference is whether I pay for a perpetual license up front and get a static version....or pay the subscription and get all updates seamlessly as they come out .

Makes sense now.
Thanks

Pythagoras345 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Mar 2006Wed 01-Oct-14 06:18 PM
63 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: LR wothout CC?"
In response to Reply # 0

Amsterdam, NL

I have the same problem. Last year I bought LR5 and 2 months later I enrolled in the CC program. This month stopped the subscription and suddenly LR5 development is not available anymore. The chat with adobe on this issue is a worthless comment from computer "Leena". So I will not use Adobe anymore, I'm using CaptureOne, which is btw much better!!

BrightLight!,

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #15357 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.