Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #14306
View in linear mode

Subject: "i need photoshop advice" Previous topic | Next topic
scouserhunter Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Apr 2014Sat 19-Apr-14 07:29 PM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"i need photoshop advice"
Sun 20-Apr-14 12:05 AM by scouserhunter

AU

i havent been doing photography long and im about to attempt some photoshop work for the first time

i like landscapes and ive learned a bit about a few of the tools in photoshop but im not quite sure about what to look for in my photos to polish my shots, or even if they need much processing work at all

what im thinking at the moment:
in the first photo i think i will just sharpen the base of the tree where it is slightly out of focus

in the second photo i want to lighten the branches just slightly to bring it out of the background a bit more, but without losing the dark mood of the photo, and i will get rid of the tree leaves in the bottom left hand corner

these are the jpeg's straight from the camera so i know i will have to adjust white balance etc in the raw file, but any other suggestions and advice would help me learn as i experiment and get to know my style

D5200
nikkor DX 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6 VR

photo 1: 16mm f/7.1 30sec ISO100
photo 2: 22mm f/3.8 10sec ISO100

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Zareeba Gold Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2008Sun 20-Apr-14 07:17 PM
142 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: i need photoshop advice"
In response to Reply # 0

Stockton-on-Tees, GB

These are lovely pics! It's really up to you how much if any postprocessing you do. Much of it is a matter of taste, although almost every pic will benefit from at least a bit of postprocessing. I presume from your comments you shoot in RAW? If not I'd make copies of your pics in PSD format, as jpegs will deteriorate the more you work on them.

To make the changes you want is actually quite easy in Photoshop, but you do need to learn (if you haven't already) about layers and layer masks. These will enable you to make the changes you want on just the areas of the photos you want to change.

If you haven't already got one of them I'd recommend Scott Kelby's Photoshop books (I haven't said which one because I don't know what version of Photoshop you're using - he's done one for all the recent releases of Photoshop). He will give you the basics of Photoshop techniques, and you can build on what you learn there. I'd also recommend Matt Kloskowski's 'Photoshop's Layers' - he gives you a very good introduction to layers and masks, with some great examples.

D4, D800, D300

It ain't so much the things we don't know that get us in trouble. It's the things we know that just ain't so.

Why is this thus? What is the reason of this thusness?

- Artemus Ward

scouserhunter Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Apr 2014Sun 20-Apr-14 11:26 PM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: i need photoshop advice"
In response to Reply # 1

AU

thanks a bunch! ive seen some of karl taylors photoshop videos which has been a good intro for me but yes ive heard good things about the scott kelby books.

i need a camera raw update so i played around with the jpeg and this was what i ended up with, i think it looks more natural but without losing too much warmth from the ambient street lighting

i sharpened the base of the tree slightly, any more and it looked too un-natural so im happy with it. i also got rid of some slight flare i noticed in the sky on the right and the bottom

this stuff is good fun!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #14306 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.