nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #14302
View in linear mode

Subject: "LR5 Import menu" Previous topic | Next topic
Wingnuts Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Apr 2014Sat 19-Apr-14 11:53 AM
195 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"LR5 Import menu"

Burmarrad, MT

Trying to decide if I should set my D800 to Neutral or Standard picture control now that I am using LR5 and trying to understand what happens on Import.
Normally I have the camera set to Neutral prior to opening in Capture NX2.

I have a test folder with two NEF images on it one taken in Neutral and one in Standard,I want to develop in LR without changing to any of the picture controls.In other words to process a RAW file as in CNX2 where the idea was that a Neutral file was most suitable where extra editing was to be expected.

At the Library stage immediately after import are those two files still as taken or has LR already converted them to Adobe Standard?
If so and I go to the develop section and I select Neutral or Standard in that menu will I be as close to my camera settings as possible?

Thanks for any help and please tell me if I am looking at this incorrectly.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Sat 19-Apr-14 01:47 PM
3389 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: LR5 Import menu"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 19-Apr-14 01:48 PM by aolander

Nevis, US

The Picture Control to which you set your camera will mean nothing to Lightroom. Lightroom will adjust images to whatever you've selected as the profile in the Develop Module which will probably be close to what you want.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Wingnuts Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Apr 2014Sat 19-Apr-14 02:49 PM
195 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: LR5 Import menu"
In response to Reply # 1

Burmarrad, MT

Thanks, so can I set Neutral as the default in LR instead of going there every time to change it from Adobe Standard?

pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows. Nikonian since 17th Nov 2005Sat 19-Apr-14 09:47 PM
1035 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: LR5 Import menu"
In response to Reply # 2

Swisher, US

LR's default settings are fully adjustable. You can create a global default for all images (by camera), or tune the default settings based on the ISO value of the image.

You can also create a preset to apply during import.

Paul
My Nikonians Gallery

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Sat 19-Apr-14 07:24 PM
5202 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: LR5 Import menu"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

As stated by Alan, the Picture Control setting in camera has no effect on Lightroom. That said, there are considerations to how the camera is set. To the extent that you use the LCD and histograms to judge exposure, bear in mind that you are viewing a JPG processed from the RAW data — and that processing uses the in-camera settings. So the Picture Control setting, notably Contrast, affect your exposure adjustments. I use Neutral (Standard is similar) to minimize clipping and maximize full range data capture. This produces a somewhat flat image — but I counter that on import to Lightroom with a boost in Contrast, Clarity, and Vibrance.

That brings up a point about Lightroom. The profiles in Lightroom are similar to but that identical to the Picture Controls in your camera. To me, this does not matter: A Picture Control or a profile is a starting point; most images benefit from a bit — or a lot — of tweaking.

I frequently take an image, especially if it is representative of an entire shoot, and run it through all the profiles to find the best start, and then I'll apply it to the the rest of the shoot. Now the images are in the ballpark I want. Image evaluation and rating is more accurate and selection of keepers more efficient.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #14302 Previous topic | Next topic