nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #14236
View in linear mode

Subject: "LR 5 not exporting" Previous topic | Next topic
mtalbott Gold Member Nikonian since 17th Jul 2006Wed 09-Apr-14 01:10 AM
74 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"LR 5 not exporting"

Gladstone, US

I am trying to learn LR and the exporting is giving me a problem. I have over 400 shots that I took on a recent trip. I have imported all of them thinking that when I export I will select only the ones I want to work on or email.
I am going by Scott Kelby's book and selecting the photos from the film strip by holding the command key on my Mac and clking on desired photos which number almost 200 to export. When I get finished with the set up to export as JPG and hit export to the computer hard drive, action starts and continues for about 3 minutes, then finishes and I get the message "the following files could not be exported". So I have nothing.

I have tried it on another computer, a PC, with the same results. I know it is me but I don't know how to correct me!

I would appreciate help.

murl talbott

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: LR 5 not exporting
elcee Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his sharing knowledge contributions to the community in addition to his words of encouragement for further advancement
09th Apr 2014
mtalbott Gold Member
10th Apr 2014
FredB D3 Silver Member
10th Apr 2014
Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional.
09th Apr 2014
mtalbott Gold Member
10th Apr 2014
Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional.
11th Apr 2014
MrsNikon Silver Member
10th Apr 2014
quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
11th Apr 2014
mtalbott Gold Member
11th Apr 2014

elcee Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his sharing knowledge contributions to the community in addition to his words of encouragement for further advancement Nikonian since 01st Nov 2005Wed 09-Apr-14 01:56 AM
6837 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: LR 5 not exporting"
In response to Reply # 0

Albuquerque, US

Could it be that your export destination is the folder your files are already in?
(LR5.4 export shown)

~LarryC (eLCee)

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

mtalbott Gold Member Nikonian since 17th Jul 2006Thu 10-Apr-14 01:57 AM
74 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: LR 5 not exporting"
In response to Reply # 1

Gladstone, US

I think I got the files transferred. I the tried to email one photo and it sent the whole photo. I have to try some more. It takes a long time to send one photo. Got to be a better way.
I have a hard time visualizing the work flow. Flow charts in the book would help me.

Larry, I thank you for your help and am oing to try to repeat and remember what I did.
murl

FredB D3 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jun 2008Thu 10-Apr-14 11:35 AM
942 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: LR 5 not exporting"
In response to Reply # 3

Potomac, US

Hi Murl,

Perhaps some additional information/clarification would help.

>I think I got the files transferred.

You can look in the destination location and determine whether the files transferred. The message you received should tell you which ones did not transfer. In any event, a visual inspection can tell you what transferred and what did not. Going along with what my understanding of what Antero said, looking at the original files, are the files that did not transfer different (are they smaller, for example) from the ones that did (assuming that some did transfer), especially as to their (original) sizes?

>I the tried to email one photo and it sent the whole photo.

This I don't understand. If you eMail a photo, I would expect the entire photo to be sent, unless by "entire photo" you are referring to the photo in its original size compared to a smaller (compressed) version exported for eMailing. Can you elaborate on this?

Fred
Maryland, USA

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Wed 09-Apr-14 08:51 AM
2562 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: LR 5 not exporting"
In response to Reply # 0

Vantaa, FI

LR can give this error message ("could not be exported") if your desired JPG file size is too small (exceeds the maximum compression ratio).

Regards, Antero

mtalbott Gold Member Nikonian since 17th Jul 2006Thu 10-Apr-14 02:03 AM
#4. "RE: LR 5 not exporting"
In response to Reply # 2

Gladstone, US

Antero, do I read you right that the fie might be too small ? Small shouldn't be a problem here as I was trying many photos. Unless it was trying to convert just one?
murl

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Fri 11-Apr-14 07:45 AM
2562 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: LR 5 not exporting"
In response to Reply # 4

Vantaa, FI

> "do I read you right that the fie might be too small"

What I meant is the indicated max. size for the resultant JPG file after export. You may (or may not) set max sizes for output resolution (in pixels) and/or file size (in megabytes). For instance, when you export a photo for posting on Nikonians, you have to set the resolution so that the longer edge does not exceed 1200 pixels and the file size does not exceed 300kB (0.3MB). Sometimes, when a photo contains very much small contrasty detail, as the case may be when you have a photo that's sharp everywhere and has a very fine contrasty texture, LR may not be able to compress a photo with 1200 pixels of resolution into 300kB. It just tells you that some of the photos could not be exported, and indicates which ones. But obviously this was not what caused your problem.

Regards, Antero

MrsNikon Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Mar 2009Thu 10-Apr-14 11:49 PM
359 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: LR 5 not exporting"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 10-Apr-14 11:49 PM by MrsNikon

Connecticut, US

You wrote: I have imported all of them thinking that when I export I will select only the ones I want to work on or email.

Murl, are you under the impression that you have to export your images in order to work on them? Why not try working on one image and try to export it to your desktop as a .jpg. Be careful and ensure you have only 1 image selected and not all 200. You you know you have one image selected by looking in the filmstrip area and you will see xxx photos / 1 selected ...

Tammy

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Fri 11-Apr-14 01:39 AM
1385 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: LR 5 not exporting"
In response to Reply # 6

Toronto, CA

My Basic Workflow ...

- import from my camera card (in a reader)
- look at the images in the Library module
- blow them up if needed to look in more detail
- delete the total garbage images
- mark the best as 5-star (maybe 10% of them, maybe fewer)
- edit the 5-star in the Develop module
--- any that need it, edit in Photoshop, creating TIFF's as a result
- what is left are my masters (mostly the 5-star)
- sometimes some non-5-star stand out later and get promoted
- I can now ...
--- view in LR
--- print from LR
--- export if someone else needs them or I need to post/email

The final "export" usually only occurs when I am passing things to others -- LR is my base and where family members and friends look at my photos.

----
Dennis Smith.

mtalbott Gold Member Nikonian since 17th Jul 2006Fri 11-Apr-14 03:17 AM
#8. "RE: LR 5 not exporting"
In response to Reply # 0

Gladstone, US

FRED, I found the transferred photos in "MY LIGHTROOM PHOTOS", labeled by date Shot. In my previous try at email I did send original full size photo instead of thumb nail.but now OK.

TAMMY,, imported 1 photo, massaged it a bit, renamed it Herp.jpg, exported to folder on desktop, then sent email to myself with attachment of Herb.jpg. It worked. You were great help.

DENNIS, I follow your workflow seems simple now. In the future I hope to learn how others can see my photos in LR. That is next.

To each of you, LarryC, Antero, Fred, Tammy and Dennis I give you my heartfelt thanks, even with a 525 page book in front of me I stumble around like a blind hog hunting acorns . Your input caused me to think a little. I still have long way to go. Thanks again.

murl

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #14236 Previous topic | Next topic