nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) Adobe Post-Processing (Public) topic #14216
View in linear mode

Subject: "LR 5 Lens Correction" Previous topic | Next topic
greyface Gold Member  Acushnet, US  Nikonian since 30th Jul 2008 Mon 07-Apr-14 02:05 AM
1601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"LR 5 Lens Correction"

We were discussing workflow in the Develop Module in LR5. A friend says he does the Lens Correction, checking the Enable Profile Corrections box, last. He claims that doing it first causes his computer to slow down when using the sliders in the Basic, Tone Curve and other Modules. I do the Enable Profile Corrections as a preset when importing and have seen no slow down when continuing the work flow.
Has anyone experienced this?

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: LR 5 Lens Correction JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit.
07th Apr 2014
Reply message RE: LR 5 Lens Correction Luke_Miller Silver Member
07th Apr 2014
Reply message RE: LR 5 Lens Correction Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional.
14th Apr 2014
Reply message RE: LR 5 Lens Correction walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Master Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art and science of photography
07th Apr 2014
Reply message RE: LR 5 Lens Correction Bump57 Silver Member Awarded for his high skill level in Landscape and Nature Photography and willingness to share his learning experiences to help others. Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Laureate Ribbon awarded as a winner in a Nikonians Best of Images Annual Photo Contest
07th Apr 2014
Reply message RE: LR 5 Lens Correction coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire”
07th Apr 2014
Reply message RE: LR 5 Lens Correction greyface Gold Member
07th Apr 2014
Reply message RE: LR 5 Lens Correction Chris Platt Silver Member
08th Apr 2014

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit.   Seattle, WA, US  Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006 Mon 07-Apr-14 06:38 AM
5436 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: LR 5 Lens Correction"
In response to Reply # 0

I cannot say I have noticed any slow downs with the lens correction turned on, but I also have a rather beefy computer.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, TC20e3,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

Luke_Miller Silver Member  Rural Virginia, US  Nikonian since 19th Apr 2006 Mon 07-Apr-14 01:29 PM
1561 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: LR 5 Lens Correction"
In response to Reply # 0

Back in the day when I had much slower computers and a graphics card that lacked a GPU - I had to be careful of the order of processing. There was no lens correction feature then, but sharpening and particularly noise reduction would really slow down all of the other adjustments. I don't see it anymore with a reasonably fast PC and good graphics card.

Places We Have Been

www.peppermill-multimedia.com

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional.   Vantaa, FI  Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009 Mon 14-Apr-14 07:13 AM
2583 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: LR 5 Lens Correction"
In response to Reply # 2
Mon 14-Apr-14 07:16 AM by Antero52

> "I had to be careful of the order of processing ... sharpening and particularly noise reduction would really slow down all of the other adjustments."

If I may offer a suggestion, it's not the order of adjustments that causes sharpening/noise reduction to slow down development. Even if you don't add any sharpening/de-noising, LR still uses some default settings. Key here is deactivating the entire sharpening/de-noising panel while you work with the other adjustments. When you are done, you can re-activate the sharpening/de-noising panel. It's the half-black, half-white rectangle, like a slider that's either in the up or down position.

If you want to do sharpening/de-noising first, for example to check if a photo is worth working on, you can do so, then deactivate the panel until you complete all the other adjustments, and then re-activate the sharpening panel.

Regards, Antero

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Master Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art and science of photography     Colorado Springs, US  Nikonian since 05th May 2002 Mon 07-Apr-14 01:33 PM
15264 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: LR 5 Lens Correction"
In response to Reply # 0

I enable the lens profile corrections as part of my camera defaults and don't have problems on either of my computers, both of which are about four years old.

Rick Walker

My photos:

GeoVista Photography

Bump57 Silver Member Awarded for his high skill level in Landscape and Nature Photography and willingness to share his learning experiences to help others. Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Laureate Ribbon awarded as a winner in a Nikonians Best of Images Annual Photo Contest   US  Nikonian since 01st Apr 2007 Mon 07-Apr-14 01:41 PM
6741 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: LR 5 Lens Correction"
In response to Reply # 0

I too enable the lens profile corrections as part of my image import defaults along with remove chromatic aberration under lens correction. I have seen no slow downs on a 3-4 year old box.

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire”   McEwen, US  Nikonian since 01st Dec 2011 Mon 07-Apr-14 11:12 PM
3405 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: LR 5 Lens Correction"
In response to Reply # 4

>I too enable the lens profile corrections as part of my image
>import defaults along with remove chromatic aberration under
>lens correction. I have seen no slow downs on a 3-4 year old
>box.

Ditto. Can't remember the processor speed just offhand--it's nothing spectacular-- but my PC has 8 GB RAM, not a super-computer for sure.

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

greyface Gold Member  Acushnet, US  Nikonian since 30th Jul 2008 Mon 07-Apr-14 07:29 PM
1601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: LR 5 Lens Correction"
In response to Reply # 0

Thank you everyone for your replies.
The person in question has the same iMac, 27" screen, that I have. I think it might be a RAM issue, not sure how much is installed. I have 16 GB, the max, in mine.

Chris Platt Silver Member  Newburg, US  Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012 Tue 08-Apr-14 07:10 PM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: LR 5 Lens Correction"
In response to Reply # 0

It may depend on the type of corrections you're applying and how many you have applied. Some are more resource intensive than others. Adobe does suggest an order of operations to optimize performance.

Order of Develop operations
The best order of Develop operations to increase performance is as follows:

1 Spot healing.
2 Geometry corrections, such as Lens Correction profiles and Manual corrections, including keystone corrections using the Vertical slider.
3 Global non-detail corrections, such as Exposure and White Balance. These corrections can also be done first if desired.
4 Local corrections, such as Gradient Filter and Adjustment Brush strokes.
5 Detail corrections, such as Noise Reduction and Sharpening.

Note: Performing spot healing first improves the accuracy of the spot healing, and ensures the boundaries of the healed areas match the spot location.

http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/performance-hints.html?sdid=KBQWU

Visit my gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) Adobe Post-Processing (Public) topic #14216 Previous topic | Next topic