Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #14199
View in linear mode

Subject: "Moving lightroom 5" Previous topic | Next topic
boblin Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Jun 2010Sat 05-Apr-14 02:33 AM
127 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Moving lightroom 5"

Lincoln, US

I've found tons of information on moving from a computer or laptop to an external drive but little info on moving my catalog and then my photos from one external drive to another external hard drive. What is the simplest way to move everything from one ehd to the other external hard drive?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Moving lightroom 5
JosephK Silver Member
05th Apr 2014
boblin Silver Member
05th Apr 2014
Zareeba Gold Member
06th Apr 2014
boblin Silver Member
06th Apr 2014
Zareeba Gold Member
06th Apr 2014
boblin Silver Member
10th Apr 2014

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sat 05-Apr-14 04:47 AM
4211 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Moving lightroom 5"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

It should be as simple as copying the files.

After you open Lightroom, navigate to the new location of the catalog.

If LR cannot find the photos, navigating to the first photo should trigger an auto-fix on the new paths.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, TC20e3,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

boblin Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Jun 2010Sat 05-Apr-14 05:57 PM
127 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Moving lightroom 5"
In response to Reply # 1

Lincoln, US

Thx Joseph for your response. Since I know very little about computers and I am very new to Lightroom, I need to be spoon fed with step by step detail from start to finish. Do I plug in both ehds to my computer at the same time, do I copy from one ehd and paste to the new ehd, what do I copy, and from where will I copy it, and so on? As you can see, I am a person starting with 0 knowledge of how to do it. It was easier moving LR from the computer to an ehd and as I said there is a ton of information, step by step, on how to do it.

Zareeba Gold Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2008Sun 06-Apr-14 10:23 AM
133 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Moving lightroom 5"
In response to Reply # 2

Stockton-on-Tees, GB

First of all, what platform are you using (i.e. Mac or Windows)? If Windows, I can help you as I've copied pics from one EHD to another numerous times (last time was end of January). I only know Windows though.

If you're using Windows, let me know which version you're using (e.g. Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1) and we'll take it from there.

D4, D800, D300

It ain't so much the things we don't know that get us in trouble. It's the things we know that just ain't so.

Why is this thus? What is the reason of this thusness?

- Artemus Ward

boblin Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Jun 2010Sun 06-Apr-14 05:48 PM
#4. "RE: Moving lightroom 5"
In response to Reply # 3

Lincoln, US

Thx Artemus,
I am using windows 7 on my laptop. I had someone help me move LR 5 to an ehd. I would like to move everything from that ehd to a new 2 terabyte ehd, LR 5 and the pictures folder and all.

Zareeba Gold Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2008Sun 06-Apr-14 07:04 PM
133 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Moving lightroom 5"
In response to Reply # 4

Stockton-on-Tees, GB

OK, here goes. Sorry if I end up telling you things you already know; as you said you were a computer novice I didn't want to assume anything. Your EHD will show up in Windows Explorer (where you can see all your files) - I presume you know what its drive letter is. Your second EHD - the one you want to copy your pics to - will also need to be plugged in. Once that's done you should be able to see both EHDs in Windows Explorer.

To copy your files across is a simple matter of selecting the files you want (presumably everything on your original EHD) and dragging and dropping them onto the new EHD.It may take some time depending on how many files you have; my recent transfer of picture files from one EHD to another involved 29,748 files taking up 657 Gb of disk space (some members on here will have many times that). I can't remember how long it took but I know I had time for lunch!

Do you have a backup of your files just in case something goes wrong? It's not likely that it will, but you never know...

I hope this has helped but if you have any more queries, please do ask - that's what Nikonians is here for...

D4, D800, D300

It ain't so much the things we don't know that get us in trouble. It's the things we know that just ain't so.

Why is this thus? What is the reason of this thusness?

- Artemus Ward

boblin Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Jun 2010Thu 10-Apr-14 05:23 AM
#6. "RE: Moving lightroom 5"
In response to Reply # 5

Lincoln, US

Hi zareeba,

I am presently on a trip and did not bring my ehds with me. When I return home I will try your solution. Thx

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #14199 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.