Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #14182
View in linear mode

Subject: "LR5 Sharpening Equivalents to CNX2" Previous topic | Next topic
mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Tue 01-Apr-14 12:58 PM
5928 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"LR5 Sharpening Equivalents to CNX2"

Tacoma, US

Capture NX2 uses 3 adjustments for sharpening:

• Intensity on a scale of 0-100%
  • Radius on a scale of 0-100%
  • Threshold on a scale of 0-255

Lightroom 5 uses:
  • Amount on a scale of 0-150
  • Radius on a scale of 0.5-3.0
  • Detail on a scale of 0-100
  • Masking on a scale of 0-100

How can I equate what I am familiar with using in CNX to the LR adjustments? I have a "translation" of Photoshop values, but LR seems to be different and has 4 adjustments instead of 3.

Mick
Web Site: http://www.mickklassphoto.com
Online gallery: http://mickklass.gallery
My nikonians gallery

Puget Sound Chapter Coordinator
Visit Our Gallery

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: LR5 Sharpening Equivalents to CNX2
walkerr Administrator
01st Apr 2014
mklass Platinum Member
01st Apr 2014
walkerr Administrator
01st Apr 2014
mklass Platinum Member
01st Apr 2014
quenton8 Silver Member
01st Apr 2014
Antero52 Silver Member
01st Apr 2014
PBlais Silver Member
02nd Apr 2014

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Tue 01-Apr-14 01:12 PM
14557 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: LR5 Sharpening Equivalents to CNX2"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 01-Apr-14 01:18 PM by walkerr

Colorado Springs, US

You really can't for a few reasons:

- The amount value isn't an absolute, but varies with the camera. In general (there are exceptions), a camera with a weak AA filter will get less sharpening than one with a strong filter, even though both are set to the same value.

- The Detail and Masking parameters don't exist with NX2. The former governs halo suppression and also moves the sharpening toward deconvolution sharpening as you go higher in the value. The latter adapts the sharpening more toward what you are used to with high-pass sharpening as you go higher in value. Lower amounts just suppress sharpening from areas lacking detail. To a certain extent, higher Detail settings align with situations where you'd use a very low threshold amount in NX2 and higher masking amounts align with situations where you would use a higher threshold (like noisy shots), but they're really different things.

I usually find myself using amounts in the 35-60 range, radii in the 0.6 through 1.3 range, detail settings in the 15 through 50 range and masking from 0 to 60 or 70. If you have a specific setting in NX2 that you like with a given camera, let me know and I'll give you a suggestion for a very rough equivalent.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Tue 01-Apr-14 01:16 PM
5928 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: LR5 Sharpening Equivalents to CNX2"
In response to Reply # 1

Tacoma, US

Thanks, Rick.

What is "deconvolution sharpening"?

Mick
My nikonians gallery

Visit Our Gallery

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Tue 01-Apr-14 01:31 PM
14557 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: LR5 Sharpening Equivalents to CNX2"
In response to Reply # 2

Colorado Springs, US

It's good for getting a lot of detail out of blurred images - reading license plates that are a bit blurred out. is a good example It can be quite strong, so you have to be a bit careful using high amounts of detail. For certain subjects where you have a lot of detail that you want to see and the ISO is relatively low, it can work.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Tue 01-Apr-14 05:47 PM
#5. "RE: LR5 Sharpening Equivalents to CNX2"
In response to Reply # 1
Tue 01-Apr-14 05:47 PM by mklass

Tacoma, US

Rick,

These are the default settings that I use in CNX 2 for the cameras that I have. After applying, I will adjust to suit.

D4-General: Intensity 35; Radius 3; Threshold 5
D4-Portraits: Intensity 35; Radius 4; Threshold 1
D800e: Intensity 100; Radius 1; Threshold 1
D7100: Intensity 15; Radius 15; Threshold 5
P7700: Intensity 30; Radius 5; Threshold 1

Mick
My nikonians gallery

Visit Our Gallery

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Tue 01-Apr-14 08:40 PM
1236 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: LR5 Sharpening Equivalents to CNX2"
In response to Reply # 5

Toronto, CA

I found Jeff Schewe's book -- The Digital Negative -- to have a good intro to sharpening -- if you can plow through it all!!

Before I read that, I was sort of guessing.

Note also that LR has two presets for sharpening that give you a start -- I use them to remind me of which slider to move which direction for which type of photo.

----
Dennis Smith.

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Tue 01-Apr-14 01:25 PM
2508 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: LR5 Sharpening Equivalents to CNX2"
In response to Reply # 0

Vantaa, FI

I never think of the values but the results. I start with Masking, with Alt key held down, so that I can see a sharpening mask. Only the white areas are sharpened. With a tight mask, it is possible to drag the Intensity to 100% and beyond, if the object is sharply-defined. With 12 – 18mp sensors, the Radius is typically around 1, with the 36mp sensor of the D800E, the radius can be higher, about 1.5 or 2, because the pixels will not be enlarged as much as they are from sensor with fewer megapixels. I only touch the Details if the result looks unsatisfactory, usually with the Alt key held down so that I can see the effects of the adjustment.

Traditional wisdom says that sharpening should be done at 1:1 preview because 1:1 used to be the only magnification ratio at which Adobe products could approximate the ultimate output. With newer Adobe software and cameras with more megapixels (the D800E), it is possible to sharpen at 1:2, provided that the photos is not significantly cropped. Again, because individual pixels will not be blown up as much as they are with 12 – 18mp sensors, it makes sense to evaluate sharpening at lower magnification.

Amount, Radius and Masking in LR map to Intensity, Radius and Threshold in CNX2. Amount/Intensity and Radius increase the sharpening
effect, Masking/Threshold chokes it. Detail lessens the choking effect near sharp edges.

Regards, Antero

PBlais Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jan 2014Wed 02-Apr-14 01:41 AM
365 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: LR5 Sharpening Equivalents to CNX2"
In response to Reply # 0

Hayes, US

The new Photoshop CC Smart Sharpen has improved a great deal but with all PS sharpening you always always change the blend mode to luminosity because it's the only thing that needs sharpening. The new ability to make is a smart object lets it be nondestructive and you can come back and crank it up more. If you don't change the blend mode you start losing it quicker. I find I don't add much in LR but just a little before printing helps you see the image better in post.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #14182 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.