Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #14163
View in linear mode

Subject: "Creating Camera Profiles in Lr 5 ?" Previous topic | Next topic
chesterdawg Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jul 2010Thu 27-Mar-14 09:41 PM
209 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Creating Camera Profiles in Lr 5 ?"

Commerce, US

Though I've been using Lr for years I don't know how to create profiles for my D7100 & Fuji X100s.

Thanks,

Steve

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

cchoc Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, most notably in Landscape Photography Charter MemberThu 27-Mar-14 09:52 PM
4568 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Creating Camera Profiles in Lr 5 ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Marietta, US

The Adobe instructions explain it better than I can.

Charlie...
stalking light

Nikonians Team Member

Ferguson Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004Fri 28-Mar-14 12:23 AM
3612 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Creating Camera Profiles in Lr 5 ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Cape Coral, US

You can also use something like this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/651253-REG/X_Rite_MSCCPP_ColorChecker_Passport.html/BI/4775/KBID/5289/

I've heard mixed results, but I was quite pleased, and made profiles for both the D800 and D4, and felt it substantially improved the colors, not (just) more true but significantly more saturated for some colors, i.e. better balanced. And the two cameras matched better afterwards also. You can use Adobe's software with it to make the profile, or you can use the included XRite software. I could see no difference in the result (though the Adobe software does let you manually edit dozens of things that I had no clue about -- another reason I liked the relatively choice-free XRite )

Did it once, took about 20 minutes (17 of which was reading the instructions and figuring out where to put the resulting profile), and never did it again (be sure to include it in whatever preset (etc) you apply on import).

Linwood

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://www.captivephotons.com

odenthal Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Oct 2006Mon 07-Apr-14 01:45 PM
41 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Creating Camera Profiles in Lr 5 ?"
In response to Reply # 2

Solingen, DE

Hello Linwood,

Do I understand it correctly that you use only a single camera profile? Which color temperature did you use? I'm currently experimenting with the X-Rite Color Checker Passport. I thought it to be necessary to create different profiles at least for different color temperatures.

Wolfgang

Ferguson Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004Mon 07-Apr-14 04:58 PM
3612 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Creating Camera Profiles in Lr 5 ?"
In response to Reply # 3

Cape Coral, US

>Do I understand it correctly that you use only a single camera
>profile? Which color temperature did you use? I'm currently
>experimenting with the X-Rite Color Checker Passport. I
>thought it to be necessary to create different profiles at
>least for different color temperatures.

This is what I've understood from reading, but hopefully someone more scientific will chime in...

As I understand it, in principle you need only one, but can have many. I made one for the awful lights in a gym, and one for incandescent, and one for daylight. Then I mis-applied them, using daylight in the gym, incandescent in daylight, etc. and it made very little difference between them, but made a large difference compared to Camera Standard which I had used before.

It's like (at least my impression) the sensor may need red boosted, and blue muted a bit, and green raised in temperature to be right. And it needs that regardless of which ambient light temperature.

The profiles can be very complex, you can have dual temperature profiles (for example), and they can be twisted or not (to change hue slightly based on intensity - here's a reference http://dcptool.sourceforge.net/Hue%20Twists.html).

But what I found was that one daylight one made a big difference for me, and I use it on most things, except I did make one for the gym. Then I plugged the profile into the develop preset I use for that gym and it's automatically applied on ingestion, so I never think about it again.

And I did one for the D4 and one the D800 and found that afterwards their images look a lot more like each other, e.g. in a shoot I now can't tell in a glace which was which.

Linwood

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://www.captivephotons.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #14163 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.