Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #14146
View in linear mode

Subject: "Postprocessing when using a x10 stop ND filter advice" Previous topic | Next topic
Leighgregory Registered since 08th Sep 2006Wed 26-Mar-14 11:32 AM
1599 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Postprocessing when using a x10 stop ND filter advice"
Wed 26-Mar-14 04:54 PM by jrp

Swindon, GB

Hello everyone,

I’m after some advice regarding PP when using a x10 stop filter.

I used a custom white balance setting for this photo which when uploaded to my computer was far too cold. I played with various white balance setting, opting to select the clouds as a white point for the custom white balance setting in NX.

I’ve added 4 colour control points in NX to come up with this version.

I also tried to process in Lightroom but was unable to make it look any better.

If anyone has any advise on how best to process I’d be very grateful, all the images I make using my 10 stop filter as a nightmare to PP.

D700 24-70 F2.8 – 5 minutes F11 iso 400

CPL & x10 stop high tech ND filter

Thanks

Leigh

A Nikonion in Swindon, UK.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: x10 stop ND filter advice
esantos Moderator
26th Mar 2014
Reply message RE: Postprocessing when using a x10 stop ND filter advi...
clickhans
26th Mar 2014
Leighgregory
27th Mar 2014
walkerr Administrator
27th Mar 2014
esantos Moderator
27th Mar 2014
walkerr Administrator
28th Mar 2014
klm Silver Member
27th Mar 2014
Leighgregory
28th Mar 2014

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Wed 26-Mar-14 01:03 PM
11598 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: x10 stop ND filter advice"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 26-Mar-14 05:23 PM by esantos

McAllen, US

Hi Leigh,

If it's the Lee 10-stop Big Stopper you are referring to, yes it tends to give you a blue cast. And it tends to concentrate in the center of the image. It does require a little more post processing to correct - I have found it is best to make a global correction in WB first and then a second correction to bring the center in line with the edges. This can either be done in Photoshop using a mask or using a local adjustment in LR or ACR.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

clickhans Registered since 10th Jul 2012Wed 26-Mar-14 05:48 PM
1161 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Postprocessing when using a x10 stop ND filter advice"
In response to Reply # 0

UM

When using my Lee Big Stopper I have to crank up the Kelvin in manual white balance between 7140 to 8330 K to get what equals 5260 K.
I still have to adjust in PP, using control points in Color Efix works best for me.

best
hans

Leighgregory Registered since 08th Sep 2006Thu 27-Mar-14 02:44 PM
1599 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Postprocessing when using a x10 stop ND filter advice"
In response to Reply # 2

Swindon, GB

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies, very helpful.

I was considering buying the Lee filter system but am unsure now if you still have the WB issues I have with the high tech filter.

On a side note do you see the Lee filters in the frame when shooting wide? On my 24 - 70 I need to zoom in to about 28mm to eliminate the filter holder which is very annoying...

Thanks

Leigh

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Thu 27-Mar-14 03:25 PM
14543 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Postprocessing when using a x10 stop ND filter advice"
In response to Reply # 3

Colorado Springs, US

The Lee Big Stopper definitely has a nasty color cast. The Singh-Ray Mor-Slow filters are much better in that respect, but not as available in some markets.

One thing that you may already know is that it's very important to either close the viewfinder blind or find something to cover it up. If not, you'll get light leakage that can create strange color shifts in portions of the image.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Thu 27-Mar-14 03:30 PM
11598 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Postprocessing when using a x10 stop ND filter advice"
In response to Reply # 4

McAllen, US

I'm living proof that what Rick is pointing out is true about the light leakage.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Fri 28-Mar-14 01:13 AM
14543 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Postprocessing when using a x10 stop ND filter advice"
In response to Reply # 5

Colorado Springs, US

Ditto. Even when you know to do it, you'll sometimes forget.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

klm Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Dec 2003Thu 27-Mar-14 11:26 PM
78 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Postprocessing when using a x10 stop ND filter advice"
In response to Reply # 4

US

I do a lot of LE photography and I keep some gaffer tape on my tripod for this purpose. Though, on my D200, I don't think it matters if I'm in manual exposure mode.

Visit my Flickr page.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Leighgregory Registered since 08th Sep 2006Fri 28-Mar-14 06:13 AM
#8. "RE: Postprocessing when using a x10 stop ND filter advice"
In response to Reply # 6

Swindon, GB

Thanks for the additional comments all,

I do remember to close the view finder sometimes although I very rarely do. Thanks for the clarification Rick, I need to get this LE photography to an acceptable level before my trip to Yosemite later in the year.

Thanks again for all the input guys,

Leigh

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #14146 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.