nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #13957
View in linear mode

Subject: "Thoughts on the future???" Previous topic | Next topic
CK Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Apr 2004Fri 14-Mar-14 07:43 PM
1803 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Thoughts on the future???"

Mississauga, CA

Hi again all,
I've been following the discussion about CNX2, LR, PSCS6, and the future of processing NEF files over on the Nikon software forum and was wondering if I could get a personal reflection from some of you? I am in th process of considering my next steps and wondered what your thoughts are on Adobe's current direction regarding leasing software. I know the advantages that Adobe claims, but wondered if there were any concerns re future pricing, ability to access altered files if one had to discontinue leasing the program for whatever reason, etc. Your thoughts?

In addition, I' m wondering about your opinion on a variety of options. I currently own LR 4, Elements 8, and have dabbled somewhat with CS6 (I particularly like layers, masks, content aware, and actions, and look forward to the easier dust detection method ). So, I've listed some options below and wondered what advice you might offer.

Oh, by the way, I will soon be turning 61, so only have about 30-40 years of post-processing ahead of me.

Here are the options I'm considering:
- purchase LR 5 and CS 6 (about $425 + tax with discounts on journeyed.com)
- purchase LR5 and Elements 12 (about $250?)
- lease LR5 and CS from the Creative Cloud ($120 US for the first year, after that ???)
- purchase LR5 and an entirely different editing package such as OnOne's Perfect Photo Suite 8 or the Nik package (any preference there?)
- go entirely non-Adobe and non-lease: Photo Mechanic and either the Nik or OnOne packages?

Take care, and thanks in advance.
CK
Nikonian in Ontario, Canada

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Thoughts on the future???
jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
14th Mar 2014
walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
14th Mar 2014
TonyJ Silver Member
14th Mar 2014
quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
14th Mar 2014
tekneektom Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
14th Mar 2014
Chuckster902 Silver Member
15th Mar 2014
esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian.
15th Mar 2014
CK Silver Member
20th Mar 2014
robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
20th Mar 2014
PBlais Silver Member
08th Apr 2014

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Fri 14-Mar-14 08:28 PM
7088 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Thoughts on the future???"
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

CK, it's really all a gamble with no guarantees.

If you had polled Nikonians a few years ago on whether they trusted Nikon or Adobe to support Nikon cameras with software into the indefinite future, a lot would have said, Nikon. Maybe a majority would have. And how did that work out?

To know for sure, you would have to be able to predict the conditions of a complex and ever-changing marketplace into the future. Good luck.

What you can say with some degree of certainty is that the more widely used a system is, the more incentive there will be for someone to find a way to make it work if the people currently providing it stop doing so.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 05th May 2002Fri 14-Mar-14 09:58 PM
14880 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Thoughts on the future???"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

I can't tell you with any certainty what will happen, but I can tell you what decision I made: I have had a Creative Cloud Subscription since it first started with CS6 releases. I would still do that today.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

TonyJ Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Sep 2004Fri 14-Mar-14 10:06 PM
1330 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Thoughts on the future???"
In response to Reply # 0

Boulder, US

I own photoshop CS5 and Lightroom 5.3. I'll probably stick with Photoshop CS5 until something breaks. I'll continue to upgrade Lightroom as long as it's available standalone. They both do pretty much everything I need. If the raw/dng format changes enough to hurt my results, I'll rethink.

D800e l D600 l D700 l Nikon 1 V1 l N90s l AF-S 16-35 f4 l AF-S 24-85 f3.5-f4.5G VR l AF-S 70-200 f2.8G VRII l AF-S 50 f1.8G l AF-S 300 f4 l TC-14EII l TC-20EIII l 2x SB600 l Autometer IIIF.
http://tonyjohnsonphotos.com
https://www.facebook.com/tony.johnson.photography
My Nikonians Gallery

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Fri 14-Mar-14 11:51 PM
1347 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Thoughts on the future???"
In response to Reply # 3

Toronto, CA

As to whether NEF will continue to be supported, by Nikon and/or Adobe -- you probably don't really care -- I certainly don't.

I keep NEF's -- if it comes to NEF's no longer being supported by someone I can, at that point, convert to DNG's or TIFF's or ...

The "existing" support won't go away, so if you can read your NEF's at the point NEF's look like they are going away, you convert then.

Personally, I don't see them going away anytime soon.

I use LR5 and CS-CC, I have a subscription which costs me $10/month -- I don't see any issues in support of NEF's from those, and certainly DNG's into the future.

I am not the last bit worried about any of it.

----
Dennis Smith.

tekneektom Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Fri 14-Mar-14 11:57 PM
1911 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Thoughts on the future???"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

I have LR 4 & 5 and I also have PSE 9. I went through much of the same mental anguish and then simply decided to lease CC LR and CC PS. I'm quite pleased to date. I don't know what will happen after the first year, but I still have LR5 and believe I can salvage my CC LR images if they blow the doors off of pricing (I don't believe they will).

I like the idea of always having the latest Adobe release at hand and the convenience of updates.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Chuckster902 Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Nov 2005Sat 15-Mar-14 01:31 PM
99 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Thoughts on the future???"
In response to Reply # 5

Scotia, US

I loved Capture NX and was never happy with ACR. When the news about CNX-D I decided to give the trial version of LR and PS a try. After using it for one week I was converted. I miss some things about CNX but love the additional tools of LR and PS. No regrets. Wish I has done it sooner and would we willing to pay more if the $9.99 cost goes higher in the future.

Chuck S.

"Life is Messy."

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Sat 15-Mar-14 04:29 PM
11883 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Thoughts on the future???"
In response to Reply # 0

McAllen, US

I've been a long time Adobe user going back to PS 6. Today I use PSCC, Lightroom 5 (occasionally), and Photo Ninja. I am not the least concerned about the future of post processing. I am more concerned about the life of DSLR's more so than anything else, with all the advances in mirrorless technology and the proliferation of cell/smart phones and a whole generation that considers DSLR use not cool.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

CK Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Apr 2004Thu 20-Mar-14 01:51 AM
1803 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Thoughts on the future???"
In response to Reply # 0

Mississauga, CA

Once again, thanks everyone. Nikonians rock!!
I really appreciate the time and guidance you were all so quick to offer. I'm thinking I'll be going for the $10/month LR/PSCC combo.

Oh by the way, Moose Peterson, over on his Gear Head Wednesday blog here:

http://www.moosepeterson.com/blog/2014/03/19/gearhead-wednesday-14-10/

responded to my question about what plug-in for black-and-white he would recommend if a person was on a limited budget
Take care,
CK
Nikonian in Ontario, Canada

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Thu 20-Mar-14 03:25 AM
13291 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#9. "RE: Thoughts on the future???"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 20-Mar-14 03:28 AM by robsb

San Jose, US

I have been a Photoshop user since CS and bought every upgrade though in later years I did it through Production Suites as I got great discounts through NAPP that made that cheaper than buying a stand alone CS5 or CS6 version of Photoshop. So I have a perpetual CS6 Suite License. I do not own LR and most likely never will. Looking at your situation I am not sure if you already have a copy of CS6 or you just played with a trail. I'll assume the latter as you list purchasing CS6 and LR5. You already own LR4 and Elements 8. I also don't know if you owned CEP 3.0 for CNX2 when you were using CNX2. If you did you will save a bundle.

So since you already have LR4 and PSE 8, why don't you start with that and see if it meets your needs? If you had the CEP 3.0, you can download the full NIK (Google) Suite for free! It will work with both LR4 and PE8.

As you progress, if you then think you want more then if I were you I would get the CC package for $10/month. Why do I say that when I myself never plan to do that? It is the cheapest entry into the latest Sw and you can rent for 4 years and get continuous new updates before you would reach the cost of a stand alone package, which will not have the new features. At that point you can look at the landscape and reevaluate. In 30-40 a lot can change. Heck we might not even need post processing SW at that point.

I have both the OnOne Perfect Suite 8 and NIK package. The NIK package is not as well integrated into Adobe as it was in CNX2 but it is a full package that will give you great power even if you only stick with LR. OnOne is an easy to use package that can be used standalone and it does layers. It can also be used as a plug in in PS or LR, and it is reasonably priced. The NAPP folks seem to like the synergy it has with LR.

So any of the choices can be a mix and match that only you can decide if it meets your needs.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

PBlais Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jan 2014Tue 08-Apr-14 03:14 PM
960 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Thoughts on the future???"
In response to Reply # 0

Hayes, US

If you are a digital photographer you are already into a commitment to technology. Photography always has been heavily based in technology. This is a technology business and you are in it up to your neck no matter what. Turning away won't serve your future.

Some people adapt to technology better or worse than others. The best move on as technology changes and others stand still and just do what they already know. Nothing right or wrong except where you'll be in some years ahead. Some of it's fun and some of it takes extra work to learn. Learning and changing never gets easier. A little each day is less pain.

Using software means you can't buy one solution and be done for the rest of your life. Nothing lasts and NEF files are nothing magic when you consider all the other raw formats are proprietary. It's nothing to feel loyalty for that is for sure. Nikon won't kiss you goodbye when they change it. NEF files are not the end product you need. It's just the way to start.

If you look at a workflow that delivers what you need to produce then it gets a lot easier to come up with an answer that works and has a future. Having been in the software biz 30 years I can tell you sticking with old software has a bump in the road ahead that will hurt bad. The rate of change in this business is expanding not the other way around.

I know a lot of folks don't like subscriptions but it's the way it's going and it's not about if you like it or not. It's also going across the board not just Adobe! It's going that way for the software business as a whole. Don't be stuck running old applications with no support that eventually won't run on new computer hardware and maybe new cameras. If you cost average you get more features sooner for about the same price.

Camera bodies are the least expensive thing you own. I wouldn't let the tail wag the dog. Nobody can predict the future with accuracy but you can look at trends and take a course that has something with some future you like. Consider what you are doing with your images and how new ways to deliver them will change how you take them.

For the Adobe track the "CC" is the future and they won't be going back. PS6 is already very old even if it is cheap. It clearly is a totally dead end track. I sure wouldn't start there though some folks may be there and will need to change or deny the future.

Lightroom is still retail or through CC. If it's all you need it's a good deal and will get updates and you'll pay again when version 6 comes out. It's the cheap route that works with a future. If you need a place to begin it has a bright future and low entry price. Taking that first step might be all you need to do now. You have to do things one at a time even if you move along fast.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #13957 Previous topic | Next topic