Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #12890
View in linear mode

Subject: "Smart Previews while traveling?" Previous topic | Next topic
KoiGardenGuy Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Sep 2009Sat 16-Nov-13 03:00 PM
149 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Smart Previews while traveling?"

Seattle, US

Hi Guys:
I am upgrading to LR5.2 from LR4.3 and one of the features I was interested in was the Smart Preview. I am going to do some traveling and was hoping to not have to bring my heavy laptop. I was thinking it might be useful to bring a tablet like a surface and make any changes there and then when I get home migrate them to the bigger home machines.

Has anyone used it in that fashion? Any thoughts on it use; the value?
TIA.

Michael Rudinsky
The Koi Garden Guy
http://koigarden.blogspot.com/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Smart Previews while traveling?
BWPaterson Silver Member
20th Nov 2013
walkerr Administrator
20th Nov 2013
barrywesthead Silver Member
21st Nov 2013
KoiGardenGuy Silver Member
07th Dec 2013
Ginsbury Gold Member
08th Dec 2013
llevine Gold Member
09th Dec 2013
Ginsbury Gold Member
09th Dec 2013
sabbey51 Silver Member
09th Dec 2013
Ginsbury Gold Member
10th Dec 2013
danshep Silver Member
10th Dec 2013
Ginsbury Gold Member
10th Dec 2013

BWPaterson Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2009Wed 20-Nov-13 04:38 PM
27 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Smart Previews while traveling?"
In response to Reply # 0

Lansdale, US

I might have misunderstood the use of smart previews, but they are generated when you import into lightroom. The smart previews are in the LR catalog which if you have it on your computing device you have access to the smart preview even if the photo was imported to another device such as an external hard drive. When you reconnect the drive LR syncs your changes made to the smart preview. In your post you indicate that you are going to do some traveling which would lead me to think you still need your computer to do initial import and make smart previews. The purpose of the smart preview is to take with you and do some work. There are ways to work with pic on a tablet with pictures that are in the cloud though I do not think this is what you want to do.

Juilanne Kost has a good 5 minute video on smart previews at adobe.

http://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/lightroom-training-videos

look at Lightroom 5 - Smart Previews

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Wed 20-Nov-13 06:48 PM
14526 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Smart Previews while traveling?"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

I haven't done that because my tablets are iPads whereas you need a tablet device running an operating system like Mac OS-X (which doesn't exist) or Windows 8. Alternatively, something small and light like an 11" Mac Book Air could work (and I have one of those), but I haven't needed to do this yet. You could certainly do what you propose by exporting out a subset of your catalog, along with smart previews of those images in that subset, then importing the changes when you're done. A bit of a pain, but it works.

At present, the feature is really for working out in the field with disconnected drives, but the stated goal is to have the smart previews in the cloud and allow editing and metadata tagging with devices like iPads. We're not there yet, but we're probably not far off either.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

barrywesthead Silver Member Awareded for his continued support of the Nikonians community, freely sharing his expertise, particularly in the areas of digital post processing and printing. Nikonian since 07th Nov 2006Thu 21-Nov-13 02:12 AM
1254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Smart Previews while traveling?"
In response to Reply # 0

Kleinburg, CA

The Surface Pro will run the light room or any other Windows app.

Barry
http://art2printimages.com
bwesthead@art2printimages.com

KoiGardenGuy Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Sep 2009Sat 07-Dec-13 04:13 PM
149 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Smart Previews while traveling?"
In response to Reply # 3

Seattle, US

Thanks for the replies. Apparently I have more to research, I may have misunderstood the functionality in LR

Michael Rudinsky
The Koi Garden Guy
http://koigarden.blogspot.com/

Ginsbury Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2008Sun 08-Dec-13 08:22 AM
342 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Smart Previews while traveling?"
In response to Reply # 4

Netanya, IL

I went down this road in the summer: travelled with an iPad and wanted to be able to select there and then import to my computer on returning home.

Ipads do not allow one to export NEFs, etc.

Before leaving home, I found a program that purported to allow this to happen. I will not name it here in the public domain because I had such a terrible time with it. The support staff did try to help and, eventually, after much heart ache, I managed to rescue my shots - but, with a great sense of relief, I then removed all vestiges of said program from my computer and from the iPad.

Am now exploring two other possibilities:
1) Export to Ipad, view pix in larger size (9.7" as against 3.5") and decide which to delete. Then delete them from the camera card to free up space. Take enough cards for the whole trip.
2) Export to a Hyperdrive ColorSpace and, from there, on return home, export to LR on the computer.

Does anyone have experience with either of these options?

Nathan

PS I saw a video some time back, from which I understood that Adobe is working on an iPad version of LR. If so, I would assume that it will be possible to move the NEFs in LR from the iPad to a computer. This is something where we just have to wait for Adobe to complete development and launch.

llevine Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Jul 2007Mon 09-Dec-13 08:51 PM
372 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Smart Previews while traveling?"
In response to Reply # 5

El Paso, US

I also tried this program and ran into issues of synchronizing what I was doing on the Ipad with my computer running lightroom. I could not get it to work and the last time I had tried it (over a year ago), I don't think that the program can do what i wanted.

Pretty frustrating doing editing on the Ipad and then not being able to get it into the lightroom catalog on the main computer. Sending a JPG to my main computer was not an acceptable work around.

Best deal is to probably get a small laptop, run Lightroom do your editing and then export the catalog and import it to your main computer.

Regards, Lance

http://lancerlevine.smugmug.com/

Ginsbury Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2008Mon 09-Dec-13 09:07 PM
342 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Smart Previews while traveling?"
In response to Reply # 6

Netanya, IL

That would work except it defeats the object of the exercise, which is NOT to be loaded down with a laptop when on the road. The camera equipment is heavy enough for my aging lumbar discs.

We are leaving for a month's trip at the end of this week and what I have decided to do is copy daily to the iPad, examine and select the must-deletes on the larger screen and then delete them from the SD card. That should reduce the volume by at least 25%! Then delete all from the iPad, again on a daily basis.

I have ordered a HyperDrive ColorSpace and will use that for backups. With a 3.5" screen, it will not be able to do the above but will be soothing for my piece of mind (I hope).

Cheers,
Nathan

sabbey51 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Jan 2010Mon 09-Dec-13 11:07 PM
551 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Smart Previews while traveling?"
In response to Reply # 7

Saddle river, US

I didn't have a HyperDrive on my month-long trip last year. With my D7000, I had dual card slots set for backup and relied on simply having an ample supply of cards for the month/day. I planned for 300/day and shot about 100/day. And cards are available everywhere in the developed world, so the capacity risk is low. Amazon and/or B&H will deliver next day in the US as well.

After use, I kept one card in my camera bag and the other in my suitcase, thus reducing the chance of a common mishap destroying or loosing both. I did actually suffer one card failure during the trip, but it was a write failure so I didn't loose any images on it.

While on the trip I used an iPad to view selections from the trip and either post them to a daily blog I kept for friends & family or via email. I used a variety of iPad editing programs for the PP, but of course had to start fresh when I got home 2,700 images and 3,500 miles later.

I was very satisfied with this approach.

Scott

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

Ginsbury Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2008Tue 10-Dec-13 08:27 AM
#10. "RE: Smart Previews while traveling?"
In response to Reply # 8

Netanya, IL

Yes, BTDT but with a D7100 which has two slots. Not all cameras offer that luxury and, with just one slot, there is still the back-up issue. I am hopeful that the HyperDrive will constitute a light weight solution.

Nathan

danshep Silver Member Charter MemberTue 10-Dec-13 05:30 AM
1320 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Smart Previews while traveling?"
In response to Reply # 0

Olympia, US

My experience has been using my iPad with a product called CamRanger.

I own a D4 and D800. On my D4, I connect the Camranger device. There is an app to install on your iPad. Then I can trigger the shutter from my iPad, view shots and delete them.

If I choose a shot to download, I can do that. There is software (Apple's iPhoto) to crop images and do a lot of stuff like retouch, light adjusting, etc.

At least it gives you something to think about. The device runs about $299.

"Today is the tomorrow that yesterday you spent money like there was no."

Ginsbury Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2008Tue 10-Dec-13 08:38 AM
#11. "RE: Smart Previews while traveling?"
In response to Reply # 9

Netanya, IL

Thanks, Dan, for bringing the CamRanger to my attention. I have just looked at a couple of reviews of the product and, as far as I can tell, it does not resolve the issue of moving images that one has played with in, e.g., iPhoto, on the iPad over to a computer with Lightroom, etc.

Apple sells an SD card to Lightning port adaptor for seamlessly moving images from the card to an iPad. Getting said images off the iPad and onto a computer is a whole different ball game. I am told that Apple intentionally and as a matter of policy prevents files being moved from an iPad, other than by sending as email attachments. I can't imagine mailing to myself some 3,000 NEF files!

BR
Nathan

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #12890 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.