Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #12537
View in linear mode

Subject: "Adobe CustomerData hacked!" Previous topic | Next topic
robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Fri 04-Oct-13 12:44 AM
12254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"Adobe CustomerData hacked!"

San Jose, US

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101085685?__source=xfinity|mod&ticket=ST-85078-rmsTJeV6g1De55ImJknydAjFZEbuRcufttK-20&rememberMe=null

Has anyone heard more about this from Adobe? Is this all customers who ever bought Adobe products or just the new CC products?

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Adobe CustomerData hacked!
quenton8 Silver Member
04th Oct 2013
robsb Platinum Member
04th Oct 2013
DaddySS Gold Member
04th Oct 2013
RiverWader Silver Member
04th Oct 2013
quenton8 Silver Member
04th Oct 2013
dagoldst Silver Member
04th Oct 2013
Lolrogge Silver Member
04th Oct 2013
walkerr Administrator
04th Oct 2013
mwhals Silver Member
05th Oct 2013
dwaycie Silver Member
04th Oct 2013
dagoldst Silver Member
04th Oct 2013
quenton8 Silver Member
04th Oct 2013
dagoldst Silver Member
05th Oct 2013
JonK Moderator
05th Oct 2013
timpsm Silver Member
05th Oct 2013
mwhals Silver Member
05th Oct 2013
timpsm Silver Member
05th Oct 2013
Sixmileman
05th Oct 2013
timpsm Silver Member
05th Oct 2013
walkerr Administrator
05th Oct 2013
dagoldst Silver Member
05th Oct 2013
smkunder Silver Member
07th Oct 2013
gkaiseril Gold Member
10th Oct 2013
grosander Silver Member
08th Oct 2013
KellyZ Silver Member
08th Oct 2013
quenton8 Silver Member
08th Oct 2013
KellyZ Silver Member
10th Oct 2013
gkaiseril Gold Member
10th Oct 2013
gkaiseril Gold Member
10th Oct 2013
Sixmileman
10th Oct 2013
gkaiseril Gold Member
11th Oct 2013
King Nothing Gold Member
11th Oct 2013
Sixmileman
11th Oct 2013
robwig Gold Member
11th Oct 2013

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Fri 04-Oct-13 03:30 AM
1157 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Adobe CustomerData hacked!"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

I have a CC subscription, as well as a CS6 and LR4/5 license -- I have not heard anything from Adobe -- so far.

----
Dennis Smith.

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Fri 04-Oct-13 06:56 AM
12254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: Adobe CustomerData hacked!"
In response to Reply # 1

San Jose, US

I do not have CC but have a CS6 Production Suite License and Adobe sent me a message tonight telling me about the problem and that they have reset passwords. You need to create a new one and they suggest that if you used the same ID and password on another site to change that as well. They also suggest monitoring all your accounts as you credit card could also have been compromised.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

DaddySS Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2006Fri 04-Oct-13 10:32 AM
758 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Adobe CustomerData hacked!"
In response to Reply # 0

Woodcliff Lake, US

Adobe makes impressive software but their account systems leave a lot to be desired. I got the message, followed the reset instructions and am stuck in a permanent loop - reset password, go to sign in and get a message that you must reset your password, reset password, go to sign in and get a message.....

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

RiverWader Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2010Fri 04-Oct-13 12:00 PM
79 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Adobe CustomerData hacked!"
In response to Reply # 0

Gardner, US

I received notice this morning and went through the password reset instructions without problems.

-Pat

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Fri 04-Oct-13 03:04 PM
1157 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Adobe CustomerData hacked!"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

Got my notification this morning.

First attempt updating my CC password, it kept asking me to do it again. Left home went to work, reset it again and now it seems fine.

----
Dennis Smith.

dagoldst Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2012Fri 04-Oct-13 03:13 PM
1818 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Adobe CustomerData hacked!"
In response to Reply # 5
Fri 04-Oct-13 03:34 PM by dagoldst

Little Rock, US

>Got my notification this morning.
>
>First attempt updating my CC password, it kept asking me to do
>it again. Left home went to work, reset it again and now it
>seems fine.

guys,

Word of caution...Make sure these are valid pw changes. Your info was stolen and fake reset emails could be sent. I would go to Adobe via normal links and log in.

I got one from them as well, but being a network infrastructure nerd, I did not click through, (I tell people not to do that all the time, LOL). I went to Adobe and just logged in.

Maybe a bit overcautious, but...

David

"Sawed that board three times and it is still too short... "

Lolrogge Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Apr 2012Fri 04-Oct-13 03:39 PM
262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Adobe CustomerData hacked!"
In response to Reply # 6

Ayden, US

The email link I received was a valid notice from Adobe. After resetting, I went to Adobe's website and verified my account. Every thing seems to be working fine.

Laverne

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Fri 04-Oct-13 03:42 PM
14178 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Adobe CustomerData hacked!"
In response to Reply # 7

Colorado Springs, US

If you're worried about clicking on a link in an e-mail (which is a valid concern), simply go to adobe.com and log-in to your account. The system will automatically take you through a mandatory password reset and change. It worked fine for me.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

mwhals Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2004Sat 05-Oct-13 11:27 AM
1638 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Adobe CustomerData hacked!"
In response to Reply # 8

Winfield, US

>If you're worried about clicking on a link in an e-mail
>(which is a valid concern), simply go to adobe.com and log-in
>to your account. The system will automatically take you
>through a mandatory password reset and change. It worked fine
>for me.

That is what I did when I received the email. I never click links in emails. I always go to the web page. I have discovered a couple of phishing emails by going directly to the website and finding no mention of the problems mentioned in the fake emails.

Shoot nature with respect and don't trample it or startle its inhabitants.

dwaycie Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Nov 2008Fri 04-Oct-13 04:32 PM
248 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Adobe CustomerData hacked!"
In response to Reply # 0

Buffalo Grove, US

I'm not a CC customer and got the message, so it appears to be everyone.

Dave

dagoldst Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2012Fri 04-Oct-13 07:59 PM
1818 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Adobe CustomerData hacked!"
In response to Reply # 9

Little Rock, US

>I'm not a CC customer and got the message, so it appears to
>be everyone.
>

I am thinking the access to Adobe's customer database was obtained through the CC webservers that were not fully locked down - there must of been a way to jump off from there into their back end production network.

David

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Fri 04-Oct-13 08:38 PM
#11. "RE: Adobe CustomerData hacked!"
In response to Reply # 10

Toronto, CA

Not sure why it would more likely to be through the CC servers than the other servers -- they have had customer accounts on their servers for years.

----
Dennis Smith.

dagoldst Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2012Sat 05-Oct-13 12:15 PM
#16. "RE: Adobe CustomerData hacked!"
In response to Reply # 11

Little Rock, US

>Not sure why it would more likely to be through the CC
>servers than the other servers -- they have had customer
>accounts on their servers for years.

They probably installed new webservers and applications for cc - that could have led to something as basic as an incorrectly configured firewall policy or an admin account that should have been deactivated. Frankly, there are a lot of possibilities under a new service rollout for anything one does on the Internet. For example, I have seen devices come under login attack within minutes after being connected to the Internet due to a single incorrect route in an ip routing table.

David

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Sat 05-Oct-13 01:27 AM
4200 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Adobe CustomerData hacked!"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

I received several of the Adobe emails due to both legacy and CC accounts, both business and personal. Accounts are accounts, what products you buy with an account doesn't matter.

Of concern is that encrypted credit card numbers may have gotten out. The encryption might last two or three days…

That said, Adobe joins a long list of merchants, both web and brick and mortar, who have either been hacked, hard a hard drive stolen, or had their system tapped from the parklot next door…

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

timpsm Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Sep 2010Sat 05-Oct-13 02:54 AM
341 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Adobe CustomerData hacked!"
In response to Reply # 0

Salt Spring Island, CA

Are they going to continue to refuse to sell the product - and insist on on-line cloud access only to new products - when they can't protect customer accounts?

tim

mwhals Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2004Sat 05-Oct-13 11:29 AM
1638 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Adobe CustomerData hacked!"
In response to Reply # 13

Winfield, US

>Are they going to continue to refuse to sell the product -
>and insist on on-line cloud access only to new products - when
>they can't protect customer accounts?
>
>tim

This is why I am sticking with CS6 and refuse to go the cloud route.

Shoot nature with respect and don't trample it or startle its inhabitants.

timpsm Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Sep 2010Sat 05-Oct-13 02:36 PM
341 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Adobe CustomerData hacked!"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 05-Oct-13 02:40 PM by timpsm

Salt Spring Island, CA

No email from Adobe, yet I am a registered CS5 user. Possibly only the newest accounts or newest products have been compromised? I haven't been logged in or in touch with them in three years now.

Maybe David's CC Webserver theory is correct - Adobe may have held only the CS6 and CC account information available to the CC Servers. Older accounts may not have been needed by those servers and so were not there to be stolen . . . pure speculation . . . should finish my coffee first.
tim

Sixmileman Registered since 06th Mar 2013Sat 05-Oct-13 03:03 PM
112 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Adobe CustomerData hacked!"
In response to Reply # 17

US

I acquired CS6 early this year, but I have not received an e-mail from Adobe.

timpsm Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Sep 2010Sat 05-Oct-13 03:27 PM
#19. "RE: Adobe CustomerData hacked!"
In response to Reply # 18

Salt Spring Island, CA

Hummmm, okay there goes that theory. Let's fall back to the "chaos reigns inside Adobe as they stagger from the attack" theory.

And of course they couldn't go off-line while diagnosing/fixing the attack because that would explode their business model of "always on" cloud computing.

tim

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Sat 05-Oct-13 03:48 PM
14178 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Adobe CustomerData hacked!"
In response to Reply # 19

Colorado Springs, US

These programs don't run in the cloud. They continue to run even when servers are off-line.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

dagoldst Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2012Sat 05-Oct-13 07:01 PM
#21. "RE: Adobe CustomerData hacked!"
In response to Reply # 17
Sat 05-Oct-13 07:07 PM by dagoldst

Little Rock, US

>
>Maybe David's CC Webserver theory is correct - Adobe may have
>held only the CS6 and CC account information available to the
>CC Servers.

Actually, nobody that knows what they are doing keeps customer info on a webserver. It is maintained in a database server behind at least 2 firewalls and is passed through the FW with special rulesets to allow Internet facing webservers to make calls to those databases.

The idea is if the webserver gets hacked, the info is not on those servers in what is known as the DMZ, (yes, just like you thought, a demilitarized zone, ). There is an Internet facing firewall <-> Webserver <-> production facing firewall <-> internal network <-> database server/s. The database that was stolen is probably common to both CC and their regular customer accounts but the security hole was on the CC webservers/firewalls.

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/lock-it-down-implementing-a-dmz/

David

smkunder Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Aug 2008Mon 07-Oct-13 08:35 PM
135 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Adobe CustomerData hacked!"
In response to Reply # 21

Highland, US

I am going into a Adobe rant, like many of you I am part of this hacking mess, I was told by Adobe that it would take up to two weeks for them to supply me with credit card monitoring by Experian ( their answer too this mess). I have asked to talk with a representative from the US, that I am able to understand. They say there is no way I can do this, seems kind of strange that I can talk to someone in US when I am purchasing, but not when there is a problem. This is really a poor situation, and not a way to treat their customers when they have a concern. When I asked if Adobe was going to take full responsibility for any thing that happens during this two week waiting period , they did not answer. Anyone have any ideas on how to talk with someone with Adobe in US?

Looking to learn as much as possible

Steve

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 10-Oct-13 03:37 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: Adobe CustomerData hacked!"
In response to Reply # 22

Chicago, US

Why should Adobe be any different from the U.S. Government. They have caused or allowed the release of my SSN to the general public. At one time sole practitioner tax preparers were required to put their SSN on every tax return they prepared. The U.S. Military used the SSN as a members serial number. The SSN is used as the Medicare account number.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

grosander Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Feb 2009Tue 08-Oct-13 06:48 AM
188 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Adobe CustomerData hacked!"
In response to Reply # 0

Lancaster, US

Adobe is typical of companies that are hacked for the first time. Minimize the problem statements and don't provide any real customer links so you can talk to a real knowledgeable technician.

My questions are:
1) Did I get hacked?
2) What got stolen?
3) When did it get stolen.
4) Who in Adobe can I talk to by name and phone number to confirm the damage?
5)What is Adobe doing to provide me with monitoring services for my credit card?
6) Which Adobe VP lost their job for allowing this incident?
7) Have the bad guys been identified?

My guess Adobe does not know the answer, or does not want to take responsibility to fix the problem.

KellyZ Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2013Tue 08-Oct-13 01:05 PM
81 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Adobe CustomerData hacked!"
In response to Reply # 23

Levant, US

If you think this is bad, part of Obamacare calls for all medical records to be digitized and available to medical professionals.

This is not a rant against Obamacare, just a heads-up on what will inevitably become nothing more than a target rich environment for even so-so hackers.

There isn't any need to store customer's sensitive info; business can be conducted virtually, then allowed to "evaporate" into thin air. A new business model needs to be conceived wherein your local hot dog vendor doesn't get to store your credit card info or social security number.

End rant. I'm sticking with CS6.

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Tue 08-Oct-13 03:20 PM
#25. "RE: Adobe CustomerData hacked!"
In response to Reply # 24

Toronto, CA

You don't need to store a CC number to bill it. The bank will setup a tag number which only YOU can bill (you the supplier of ...), and then its the bank that takes care of security. The tag can even span new credit cards etc. I have no idea why companies insist on storing CC numbers, we don't -- just the tag which is a link between the supplier and the client (CC owner).

----
Dennis Smith.

KellyZ Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2013Thu 10-Oct-13 01:17 PM
81 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: Adobe CustomerData hacked!"
In response to Reply # 25

Levant, US

>You don't need to store a CC number to bill it. The bank
>will setup a tag number which only YOU can bill (you the
>supplier of ...), and then its the bank that takes care of
>security. The tag can even span new credit cards etc. I
>have no idea why companies insist on storing CC numbers, we
>don't -- just the tag which is a link between the supplier and
>the client (CC owner).
>
Interesting, but this seems that it's for something like monthly billing?

I was referring to one-time transactions for online purchase after which the vendor thinks it necessary to retain your info. Case in point is Amazon.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 10-Oct-13 03:32 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: Adobe CustomerData hacked!"
In response to Reply # 25

Chicago, US

The Adobe ID account is more than just an accounting control method. It is used as the login and authorization for the various Adobe forums and special sites, like pre-release.

Further since many use a limited number of userIDs and passwords once a persons password for one site has been cracked, it might provide the password for other sites or provide an insight to how an individual creates or generates a password.

Many users like the one click buy and ship convenience.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 10-Oct-13 03:38 PM
#29. "RE: Adobe CustomerData hacked!"
In response to Reply # 24

Chicago, US

HIPPA will take care of that. Your family cannot find out about your medical condition but the drug company rep can.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Sixmileman Registered since 06th Mar 2013Thu 10-Oct-13 06:06 PM
112 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: Adobe CustomerData hacked!"
In response to Reply # 29

US

Today, some 5(?)-days or more after this problem was initially identified by Adobe I finally get an e-mail! I am a registered user of CS6, but not yet in the cloud.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 11-Oct-13 02:33 PM
#31. "RE: Adobe CustomerData hacked!"
In response to Reply # 30

Chicago, US

I got multiple early emails because I tried posting to one of the multiple forums I post to hosted by Adobe. I did some checks and reset my password. This worked for all but 1 Adobe site, but because of DND, Do Not Disclose, I will say no more.

Adobe has posted this message from the start. With a worldwide customer base it can be difficult to send out a large mass of emails and keep the email server working. There is no question Adobe customer service could be better. But their response might not be the best, but it is miles ahead of their customer service on technical software issues or just basic licensing.

I only buy my software from brick an mortar stores because it helps the local economy and my neighbors.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

King Nothing Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Dec 2011Fri 11-Oct-13 04:52 PM
110 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#32. "RE: Adobe CustomerData hacked!"
In response to Reply # 30

Cranbrook, CA

I just got a change password email too. All I have is Lightroom. I don't have CC and I'm not interested in it. They sure are taking their sweet time with notifying everybody.

Sixmileman Registered since 06th Mar 2013Fri 11-Oct-13 05:24 PM
#33. "RE: Adobe CustomerData hacked!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I have only a CS6 license (I had no previous releases) and I am not in the cloud. I got an e-mail yesterday telling me to change my PW.

robwig Gold Member Nikonian since 25th Nov 2007Fri 11-Oct-13 05:33 PM
97 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#34. "RE: Adobe CustomerData hacked!"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, US

I wondered why I hadn't received notification from Adobe yet. I finally checked the spam folder (gmail) and found it there. Good reminder to occasionally review the email spam folder.

Bob

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #12537 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.