Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #12496
View in linear mode

Subject: "How do I unlock an image" Previous topic | Next topic
Bela614 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2004Tue 24-Sep-13 07:09 PM
352 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"How do I unlock an image"
Tue 24-Sep-13 07:26 PM by Bela614

Bellingham, US

Hello,
I am pretty new to photoshop and am trying to get two images side by side. One of the first steps is to unlock the images. Every time I open an image in Photoshop CC it is locked in the layers panel. I have tried dragging the lock down to the garbage can but that does not work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, my hand tool does not seem to work. Up at the top it says that there are no definable presets set for this tool?
Thanks in advance,
Bill

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see" Henry David Thoreau
(1817-62)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: How do I unlock an image
blw Moderator
24th Sep 2013
Bela614 Silver Member
24th Sep 2013
blw Moderator
25th Sep 2013
Bela614 Silver Member
25th Sep 2013
Antero52 Silver Member
25th Sep 2013
Bela614 Silver Member
25th Sep 2013

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 24-Sep-13 11:26 PM
26573 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: How do I unlock an image"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

You need to expand your image size, then you can move it around.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Bela614 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2004Tue 24-Sep-13 11:41 PM
352 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: How do I unlock an image"
In response to Reply # 1

Bellingham, US

Thanks Brian, much appreciated.
Bill

(1817-62)

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Wed 25-Sep-13 03:10 AM
26573 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: How do I unlock an image"
In response to Reply # 2

Richmond, US

actually maybe it's the canvas size. not the image size...?

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Bela614 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2004Wed 25-Sep-13 12:56 PM
#4. "RE: How do I unlock an image"
In response to Reply # 3

Bellingham, US

Hello,
I resized the image and was able to move it around with the hand tool. I called Adobe and they said to unlock an image just to double click on the lock. Seems to work. But I still cannot get two images to locate side by side, at least according to the instructions I have in my books. I will eventually figure it out I think.
Bill

(1817-62)

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Wed 25-Sep-13 02:07 PM
2495 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: How do I unlock an image"
In response to Reply # 4
Wed 25-Sep-13 02:07 PM by Antero52

Vantaa, FI

I think there are two separate questions here. One is how to to convert a locked layer (usually the Background layer) to an unlocked one, and you've figured it out now.

The other question is how to expand the canvas so that there's space for the layer to move. As Brian said, you'll have to expand the canvas. If the images are the same size, you can set the canvas size horizontally to, say, 250 per cent, so that you can move two images side by side and still have space between them.

But perhaps there are still more questions. What exactly do you mean by "image"? Do you have two layers in the same Photoshop document (the layer palette in one PS document shows two layers)? Or do you have two PS documents arranged horizontally on your screen?

If you have two PS documents arranged horizontally on your screen, you need to move the layer of one document to the other document. Here's how: 1. Arrange the documents on the screen. They can overlap, but you can also do "Window/Arrange horizontally/vertically". 2. Check that the layer to be moved to the other document isn't locked. 3. Select the layer to be moved (not only the document but the layer from the layers palette). 4. Drag the layer to the other document. If you shift-drag it, the centers of the existing and new layer will coincide, but that's a non-issue as you will relocate them anyway. 5. Now ensure that both layers are unlocked and you have enough canvas.

Regards, Antero

Bela614 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2004Wed 25-Sep-13 06:20 PM
#6. "RE: How do I unlock an image"
In response to Reply # 5
Wed 25-Sep-13 06:46 PM by Bela614

Bellingham, US

Thank you very much Antero. Your explanation did the trick. I can now put two photos side by side and work on them. Thanks again,
Bill

(1817-62)

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #12496 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.