Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #12398
View in linear mode

Subject: "why use lightroom instead of picasa?" Previous topic | Next topic
geneluck Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Oct 2004Wed 18-Sep-13 10:23 AM
2404 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"why use lightroom instead of picasa?"
Wed 18-Sep-13 10:24 AM by geneluck

Reading, GB

SO far I have used picasa as my file browser for about 5 years. (I have presently around 65000 pictures) I tried lightroom 5 for one month and decided against bying it in the end.
my worflow is very straight forward:
I use picasa to search for the picture I want to process, then open it with CS6, use NIK software as a filter addon if needed then save the modified file from within CS6.

I have read all kinds of things in various forum about lightroom, like lightroom is professional software,it offers very good editing tools,and saves the changes to the pictures.
Yes I can see that the support for lightroom will be much better than Picasa , but I have never experienced any crash with Picasa, so never needed any support.
I found lightroom very slow to start up and not giving me any advantage for searching my pictures. If I do not do any changes to the pictures in lightroom, I do not understand why it takes so long to start.

In terms of photo editing,
I find that CS6 +NIK software is all I need and I would need yet again to learn another package if I wanted to do some of the editing in lightroom.

I organize all my pictures by date + topic, and save a copy if I make a change.
Have I missed some major point which I should have looked at during my trial of lightroom?
Jean-luc

geneluck

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: why use lightroom instead of picasa?
pdekman Gold Member
18th Sep 2013
geneluck Silver Member
18th Sep 2013
PSAGuy Silver Member
18th Sep 2013
quenton8 Silver Member
18th Sep 2013
geneluck Silver Member
18th Sep 2013

pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows. Nikonian since 17th Nov 2005Wed 18-Sep-13 12:51 PM
1031 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: why use lightroom instead of picasa?"
In response to Reply # 0

Swisher, US

First, there is nothing wrong with a workflow that is working for you, so I see no strong reason to change.

Here are a few things I appreciate most using Lightroom:

1. Tremendously faster to edit numerous photos at once. Using selections, sync and autosync LR allows me to process batches of photos in real-time. Many photos from the same shoot share global edits such as WB, sharpening, clarity, etc. Local edits are of course done on individual images.

2. Presets speed your workflow. LR allows presets to be created for most everything - imports, metadata tagging, develop settings, print settings, etc. Once you've created presets for your most used activities, your efficiency significantly rises.

3. The Library module. I keep my images in a date+descriptor directory structure also, but collections, smart collections and filtering allow me further advantage to organize across directories. The publish capability also eases configuration management if you post images.

4. The Print module is fantastic. Truly intuitive and powerful, especially with the ability to create presets for printer/paper combinations. I blaze through my printing tasks.

5. The Develop module and PV2012 are very good. Coupled with the selection and integrated workflow environment, it is again very efficient. You can round-trip to CS6 or Nik very seamlessly, so should not be a big change from your current workflow.

That's off the top of my head. I don't use the book or slideshow module much. The new Map module is pretty cool though. Not sure why LR would start slow - it does need a modern computer with lots of RAM. Getting over the 'must import images' into LR is most people's first hurdle, and that can be a bit slow. I too wish LR could behave as a faster browser in the Import phase.

Paul
My Nikonians Gallery

geneluck Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Oct 2004Wed 18-Sep-13 05:28 PM
2404 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: why use lightroom instead of picasa?"
In response to Reply # 1

Reading, GB

Thank you very much Paul for your really informative response. I might give another trial to look at the points you are making.
I appreciate you taking the time, and yes I can clearly se that it must be a really useful tool in your workflow. I do not tend to have series which need a similar processing, and I have a few recipes in NIK software and actions in CS6 to provide tools for that purpose.
Jean-luc

geneluck

PSAGuy Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Nov 2008Wed 18-Sep-13 01:22 PM
725 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: why use lightroom instead of picasa?"
In response to Reply # 0

Lake Elmo, US

I agree with Paul all the way. Lightroom is a very efficient means of editing large numbers of photos . Their "sync" feature is great for handling this chore.
I can push (and often do) hundreds of photos in an evening through this program and do a great deal more editing than simply adding in a filter effect. LR5 has added additional tools that make it so much better.

I have owned every version since LR2, and I will continue to buy it. I also own CS6, the entire NIK software package, as well as On-One Perfect Photo Suite. I do love Nik's Viveza and use it regularly. But CS6, and the others are opened so infrequently, I sometimes wonder why they are in my tool kit.

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Wed 18-Sep-13 04:43 PM
1218 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: why use lightroom instead of picasa?"
In response to Reply # 2

Toronto, CA

I have not used Picasa for a long time, not since I evaluated packages a few years ago.

However, looking at how they store things, it seems to me that if you wanted to do a keyword or other search over many 1000's of photos it would take a long time, where LR is basically instantaneous.

----
Dennis Smith.

geneluck Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Oct 2004Wed 18-Sep-13 05:35 PM
#5. "RE: why use lightroom instead of picasa?"
In response to Reply # 2

Reading, GB

Thank you Rick for your informative response. Yes I agree that if you have to often process hundreds of pictures in one go, I could imagine that some of the features you mention will help you. It is also interesting to see that you consider the editing capabilities of lightroom on par with CS6.
Jean-luc

geneluck

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #12398 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.