Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #12334
View in linear mode

Subject: "Make Individual Pictures A New And Separate Layer" Previous topic | Next topic
Bela614 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2004Sat 14-Sep-13 01:39 PM
437 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Make Individual Pictures A New And Separate Layer"
Sat 14-Sep-13 01:43 PM by Bela614

Bellingham, US

Hello,
I am watching a Utube video on how to make a Photoshop panorama. I have a series of 5 photos that I would like to stitch together. I am using Photoshop CC on a PC.
The method he uses is easy except for one part I don't understand. I was hoping you could help me.
His first step is to make each individual picture a separate layer, so that under the layer box each individual picture is a layer. What I am trying to get is my 5 separate pictures into 5 different layer boxes. I don't know how to do this.
Can you help me out.
Thanks in advance,
Bill

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see" Henry David Thoreau
(1817-62)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Make Individual Pictures A New And Separate Layer
HenkB Silver Member
14th Sep 2013
Bela614 Silver Member
14th Sep 2013
Antero52 Silver Member
19th Sep 2013
Bela614 Silver Member
19th Sep 2013
esantos Moderator
14th Sep 2013
Bela614 Silver Member
14th Sep 2013

HenkB Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2004Sat 14-Sep-13 03:25 PM
540 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Make Individual Pictures A New And Separate Layer"
In response to Reply # 0

Wayland, US

If you are not using Bridge or Lightroom, open all your pictures individually, choose one as your target and start dragging the other background layers into the target. Each newly imported image will be on its own layer.

From Bridge, select all the files you wish to merge and then go Tools/Photoshop/Photomerge...

From Lightroom, select all files, and then go Photo/Edit In/Merge to Panorama in Photoshop

Best,

Hendrik

Bela614 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2004Sat 14-Sep-13 03:55 PM
437 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Make Individual Pictures A New And Separate Layer"
In response to Reply # 1

Bellingham, US

Thank you Hendrik, it worked wonderfully. Much easier to do than the Utube video.
Thanks again,
Bill

(1817-62)

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Thu 19-Sep-13 05:19 AM
2517 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Make Individual Pictures A New And Separate Layer"
In response to Reply # 1

Vantaa, FI

> "start dragging the other background layers into the target"

Ha, it's never too late to learn something new. In some other version(s) of Photoshop or Elements, BG layers couldn't be dragged before renaming them to something else. I used to rename them before dragging, out of habit. In CS6 this restriction no longer applies.

Yet another way to open multiple photos as layers is File | Scripts | Load Files into Stack. If you want to load the component images into layers and then start the Panorama process, you can go to File | Automate | Photomerge | and then Browse or Add Open Files.

Regards, Antero

Bela614 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2004Thu 19-Sep-13 02:24 PM
#6. "RE: Make Individual Pictures A New And Separate Layer"
In response to Reply # 5

Bellingham, US

Thank you Antero. I tried making some panoramas and they came out great except when I tried using the "painterly" process in Photomatics. This "painterly" process pre processes the pic into a semi abstract finished product. I thought if I did the same Photomatic process on all 5 photos it would work. It did not, there were stitching lines. When I used the "natural" process in Photomatics the panoramas came out great.

Thanks again,
Bill

(1817-62)

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Sat 14-Sep-13 05:40 PM
11659 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Make Individual Pictures A New And Separate Layer"
In response to Reply # 0

McAllen, US

I stitch all my panos in Photoshop. Here is my method:

1. Open all the images of the panorama in Adobe ACR. In left preview pane select all the images by Alt-clicking each one or Shift-clicking the first and last image.

2. Make all your adjustments on the one image that you feel more closely represents the right exposure and color. It is easier to adjust this image than any in the series that may have less than ideal exposure/color.

3. Once your image edits in ACR are complete open them in Photoshop. Now, create a blank canvas (File -> New) the approximate length and height of the finished panorama adding some room for arranging the images. So, if your images are at a resolution of 2,000 pixels high by 3,000 pixels wide and the series contains 4 images then I'll make the canvas 4,000 pixels high by 15,000 pixels long. When creating the new canvas make sure you select the same ppi, bit color depth, and color space as the panorama source images.

4. Now, beginning from the left drag and drop each image of the panorama onto the blank canvas. Each time you do this Photoshop will place the image on a new layer on the canvas.

5. Align each image to the prior one, again starting from left to right. Once you have them all aligned then using a layer mask you can then blend the seams using a small brush setting.

6. Once all the images have been stitched, flatten the canvas, correct any horizon issues (straighten), crop, and then size if necessary.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

Bela614 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2004Sat 14-Sep-13 06:04 PM
#4. "RE: Make Individual Pictures A New And Separate Layer"
In response to Reply # 3

Bellingham, US

Thank you Ernesto.
I will definitely give this method a try. I can't tell you how long I have been trying to figure out how to make a panorama on my own. You guys are the best.
Thank you again,
Bill

(1817-62)

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #12334 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.