Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #12324
View in linear mode

Subject: "Photoshop alternatives?" Previous topic | Next topic
poc Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2008Fri 13-Sep-13 08:52 PM
265 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Photoshop alternatives?"

Glenview, US

As Lightroom keeps improving with each version, I find that I need photoshop less, except for a few things: pano stitching, layers, removing objects.

For me, photoshop is a beast which is tough to master. I would love to find other alternatives for those 3 functions. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

POC

http://cabreraphoto.smugmug.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Photoshop alternatives?
blw Moderator
13th Sep 2013
quenton8 Silver Member
14th Sep 2013
Ginsbury Gold Member
14th Sep 2013
poc Silver Member
15th Sep 2013
Ginsbury Gold Member
15th Sep 2013

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Fri 13-Sep-13 08:59 PM
26540 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Photoshop alternatives?"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Doesn't Photoshop Elements do all of that?

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Sat 14-Sep-13 12:54 AM
1211 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Photoshop alternatives?"
In response to Reply # 1

Toronto, CA

I worked with Elements for a few versions, likely about 4 years.

Mostly I found it pretty much as complex as Photoshop, but less expensive.

Photoshop does have a number of features that will likely never be in Elements, but if you want a less expensive editor, try Elements for a while and see if it does everything you want. If it does, great -- if not, then my call would be Photoshop.

But so far as ease of use is concerned, assuming you use pretty much the same features, I don't see much to choose between the two.

----
Dennis Smith.

Ginsbury Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2008Sat 14-Sep-13 07:20 PM
331 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Photoshop alternatives?"
In response to Reply # 0

Netanya, IL

Have you looked at the new Version 8 due from OnOne in November? Their site has some video clips demonstrating possibilities.

Pre-ordering by Sep. 19 entitles one to a discount so it is worth looking there now.

Nathan
(Not associated with OnOne in any way other than as a user)

poc Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2008Sun 15-Sep-13 12:09 PM
265 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Photoshop alternatives?"
In response to Reply # 3

Glenview, US

Thank you Brian, Dennis and Nathan.

Nathan, I just looked at Onone and I am intrigued. This may be the alternative I am looking for.
How does this work with Lightroom? Is this a plug in or do you click the tab for "Edit in" and then return your image back to LR?

Again, thank you all.

POC

http://cabreraphoto.smugmug.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Ginsbury Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2008Sun 15-Sep-13 12:49 PM
331 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Photoshop alternatives?"
In response to Reply # 4

Netanya, IL

Peter - It's a plug-in, but works seamlessly. When the module you chose has done its thing - and you get to select from a large number of presets, but do not have to use any of them - you are returned to LR. In the filmstrip and Grid view, both the before and after versions are available.

I have not yet learned all the modules but very much like what I have played with so far. Version 8 promises to be even better.

BR
Nathan

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #12324 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.