Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #11879
View in linear mode

Subject: "LR 5 Installation and catalog mistakes. Help!" Previous topic | Next topic
amszterpeter Registered since 10th Mar 2013Thu 25-Jul-13 01:02 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"LR 5 Installation and catalog mistakes. Help!"

San Antonio, US

I have installed my LR 5 upgrade and later generated a catalog. I chose a wrong time to do it when my thinking was not straight. (I am in a pain management program due to inoperable arthritis and at certain times of the day, after taking my medication, my mind is not clear.)
The installation was fine, however my new catalog is not generated and formatted as I want it. Later, thinking that I can reload my "negatives", I reorganized the original negative data base on my hard drive.

I would like to delete or no longer use my current catalog and load my negatives again into LR 5 using a new set of presets for import/transfer and a create new catalog.
Any suggestions, ideas or solutions are welcomed and appreciated in advance. I promise I will follow and implement the best idea when my head is clear.

Peter Aradi
San Antonio, Texas, USA

Peter Aradi
my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

M_Jackson Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 25-Jul-13 01:40 PM
682 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: LR 5 Installation and catalog mistakes. Help!"
In response to Reply # 0

Jackson, US

Peter,
If you had LR4, it generated a LRCAT file. If you opened that file in LR5, it generated a new LRCAT, probably with a "-2" at the end of the file name. So, if you don't like what you did in LR5 with your database, just reopen the old LR4 catalog and let it make a new one in LR5, probably with a "-2-2" at the end of the filename.

If you are trying to create a new LR catalog and import all of your images again manually, create and save a NEW catalog, then import as you always did.

Also, LR will create a folder that is usually alongside your LRCAT file called Lightroom Settings and another folder for the previews. The Settings version has all of your presets stored in it. The previews folder gets regenerated if it is not found or is deleted.

M. Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY

Blog: www.bestofthetetons.com
Web Site: www.tetonimages.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #11879 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.