Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #11798
View in linear mode

Subject: "file name on printed photo" Previous topic | Next topic
bobpilot Silver Member Nikonian since 08th May 2007Wed 17-Jul-13 03:25 PM
3226 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"file name on printed photo"

Washington, US

Is there a way to put the file name on each image before it is sent uploaded to a print vendor, such as Mpix?

I want to use some images as samples, and want the file name on the printed photo. I know I can have the same watermark, but I want the file name.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: file name on printed photo
glo Silver Member
17th Jul 2013
bobpilot Silver Member
17th Jul 2013
bobpilot Silver Member
17th Jul 2013
elcee Silver Member
17th Jul 2013
bobpilot Silver Member
19th Jul 2013
Bob Chadwick Silver Member
19th Jul 2013
pdekman Gold Member
17th Jul 2013
bobpilot Silver Member
17th Jul 2013
davepmyoung Gold Member
13th Aug 2013
bobpilot Silver Member
13th Aug 2013
Izzie Gold Member
14th Aug 2013
anymouse73 Silver Member
14th Aug 2013
bobpilot Silver Member
14th Aug 2013

glo Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2005Wed 17-Jul-13 04:00 PM
914 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: file name on printed photo"
In response to Reply # 0

Montgomery, US

Bob:

It wouldn't be automated, but you could add text to the photo using software such as Photoshop. You could also place it anywhere on the face of the photo.

Grady
MY GALLERY

bobpilot Silver Member Nikonian since 08th May 2007Wed 17-Jul-13 04:01 PM
3226 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: file name on printed photo"
In response to Reply # 1

Washington, US

Thank you. I don't often use Photoshop and thus, I'm not skilled with it, I will figure this out, thank you.

bobpilot Silver Member Nikonian since 08th May 2007Wed 17-Jul-13 04:39 PM
#3. "RE: file name on printed photo"
In response to Reply # 2
Wed 17-Jul-13 04:47 PM by bobpilot

Washington, US

I went to a site that shows how to make text and sure enough, I did it! Nice! But now my pointer is stuck as an eyedropper and it just makes a sound when I try to open something else.

I changed the color of the font and now I'm stuck.

elcee Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Nov 2005Wed 17-Jul-13 11:04 PM
6035 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: file name on printed photo"
In response to Reply # 3

Albuquerque, US

Bob, did you click on the checkmark?

~LarryC (eLCee)

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

bobpilot Silver Member Nikonian since 08th May 2007Fri 19-Jul-13 01:54 PM
#7. "RE: file name on printed photo"
In response to Reply # 4

Washington, US

No, I didn't see the checkmark. Somehow, I got past the issue I mentioned, and now I have a procedure for doing this.

I figured out how to do add the text, in this case I'm adding the file number.

I added the text to four images, with 190 to go. I set the text box to 36pt. And yet, on some images the text seems smaller than on the other. When I view the TIFF file, with the text added, in Lightroom, the text on one is smaller. Why is this?

No doubt there is a way to put a block of white behind the text, I don't know how, yet, but I'm sure there is a way.

Bob Chadwick Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006Fri 19-Jul-13 04:23 PM
2022 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: file name on printed photo"
In response to Reply # 7

Norcross, US

Someone asked this question about adding a date yesterday. In addition to this LR function LR2/Mogrify is supposed to be able to do it. I don't use the program for this purpose but for what I use it for, it has a lot of options. Check it out if you can't get this to work.

Visit
My Nikonians Gallery
NorcrossPics.Com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows. Nikonian since 17th Nov 2005Wed 17-Jul-13 11:42 PM
1027 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: file name on printed photo"
In response to Reply # 0

Swisher, US

If you have Lightroom, use the Print module to include photo information and select whatever info you wish. Then, print to JPEG and send those files to your print vendor.

The information will be on the border of the print, not sure if it can be adjusted to overlay the image.

Paul
My Nikonians Gallery

bobpilot Silver Member Nikonian since 08th May 2007Wed 17-Jul-13 11:46 PM
#6. "RE: file name on printed photo"
In response to Reply # 5

Washington, US

Thank you. I'll give this a try.

davepmyoung Gold Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2008Tue 13-Aug-13 07:40 PM
60 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: file name on printed photo"
In response to Reply # 6

Robertsbridge, GB

You could also use the watermark facility, increase the density and put where ever you want as you export the file

bobpilot Silver Member Nikonian since 08th May 2007Tue 13-Aug-13 08:11 PM
#10. "RE: file name on printed photo"
In response to Reply # 9

Washington, US

I ended up typing the file name on each image using the 'Type' tool in PS. The watermark would have to be changed for each image and thus would still involve typing each file name.

Although this was tedious, it might get me some money. The store owner went though the fist group and selected several that she wants; no deal on price yet; I don't know the reason for this. I am acting as a wholesaler in this arrangement.

Izzie Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2011Wed 14-Aug-13 08:05 AM
839 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: file name on printed photo"
In response to Reply # 10

Chesterfield, US

Hmm...there are tutorials on how to make brush styles in Photoshop...Transform your text file into a brush then you do not have to type in the photo for each and everyone of them.

'Hope this helps.

Fly safe, drive safe and keep safe.
G'day and G'lock....
Izzie

GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS
My Nikonians Gallery

anymouse73 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Jan 2013Wed 14-Aug-13 12:40 PM
70 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: file name on printed photo"
In response to Reply # 0

Philadelphia, US

Another option in Lightroom is using the Export function.

During export there is an option to create a filename. You can create a unique custom filename for each file in the export, one at a time.

In the same section, you can also create a custom filename using a combination of data already available and user generated. If this is to be used with multiple images, a sequence number can be automatically added to keep the names unique.

I use the latter method when sending a group of photos out in a specific format.

BTW, this is the same export function that allows you to select the file format, image size and resolution, etc.

Hope this helps,

Bob

bobpilot Silver Member Nikonian since 08th May 2007Wed 14-Aug-13 01:18 PM
#13. "RE: file name on printed photo"
In response to Reply # 12

Washington, US

The Lightroom export feature you refer to changes the file name, right? I don't want to change the file name I want the file name printed on the image.

These images are going into a proof book so the client can select the images she wants and make a list of file names, or turn in the printed images.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #11798 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.