Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #11769
View in linear mode

Subject: "NX2 and Lightroom 5 interaction" Previous topic | Next topic
helmdr Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Nov 2012Mon 15-Jul-13 03:12 PM
290 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"NX2 and Lightroom 5 interaction"
Mon 15-Jul-13 03:20 PM by helmdr

Houston, US

I import my nef files to Lightroom5. Recently I have started to use NX2 and find that In my opinion the sharpening in NX2 is better than LR (maybe it is just easier for me). I also like the White Balance adjustments better.

Question Since these fotos are in lightroom, when I make changes to them in NX2, what happens to them in LR? I was able to answer my own question LR does not bring the changes that NX2 makes into the photo. Is there a way of making LIghtroom do this? My first thought would be the rename that file and reimport into LR, but that would be a pain.

thanks for the help

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: NX2 and Lightroom 5 interaction
helmdr Silver Member
15th Jul 2013
walkerr Administrator
15th Jul 2013
helmdr Silver Member
15th Jul 2013
walkerr Administrator
15th Jul 2013
helmdr Silver Member
15th Jul 2013
walkerr Administrator
15th Jul 2013
llevine Gold Member
16th Jul 2013
walkerr Administrator
16th Jul 2013
phil711 Silver Member
20th Jul 2013
walkerr Administrator
20th Jul 2013
Captain Rich Silver Member
26th Jul 2013

helmdr Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Nov 2012Mon 15-Jul-13 03:44 PM
290 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: NX2 and Lightroom 5 interaction"
In response to Reply # 0

Houston, US

Well, I have done some further investigation and I guess there is no way that the NX2 changes can be transfered into Lightroom . If I want to use NX2 on some photos, I am going to need to relook at my PP processes.

Anyone else use these two programs and in that case what do you do?

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Mon 15-Jul-13 04:27 PM
14683 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: NX2 and Lightroom 5 interaction"
In response to Reply # 1

Colorado Springs, US

I used to use NX2 years ago, but migrated to LR as I think it works better for me. While it's possible to integrate the two, you have to generate TIFFs or JPEGs in NX2 and then import them into LR. BTW, I think you'll find that LR actually has more sophisticated and powerful sharpening routines than NX2, but you'll need to do a little research on how to harness them. Don't just use the default values - create new ones after you do that research.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

helmdr Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Nov 2012Mon 15-Jul-13 05:33 PM
#3. "RE: NX2 and Lightroom 5 interaction"
In response to Reply # 2

Houston, US

Thanks Rick for the reply. Creating tiff's or jpg's is not an option for me. I have enough trouble keeping up with my NEF's. I do use tiff and psd when exporting from PS when I use it but that is with only about 10% of the time. Mostly I use LR. I wil investigate the sharpening. I do use it in LR but it takes me awhile to get where I want with it. thanks again.

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Mon 15-Jul-13 07:22 PM
14683 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: NX2 and Lightroom 5 interaction"
In response to Reply # 3

Colorado Springs, US

What type of photography do you primarily do and what's your main camera body? I may be able to suggest some revised sharpening defaults.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

helmdr Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Nov 2012Mon 15-Jul-13 08:27 PM
#5. "RE: NX2 and Lightroom 5 interaction"
In response to Reply # 4

Houston, US

would appreciate that Rick, My main body is the D800 I mostly do landscape and trying to do more and more wildlife (planning trip to Krugar and just returned from Galapagos and Island) any help would be appreciated

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Mon 15-Jul-13 09:14 PM
#6. "RE: NX2 and Lightroom 5 interaction"
In response to Reply # 5

Colorado Springs, US

Try this combination of settings:

Intensity: 50
Radius: 0.7
Detail: 35
Masking: 10

For higher ISO shots (800 and higher), try this instead:

Intensity: 35
Radius: 1.2
Detail: 20
Masking: 50

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

llevine Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Jul 2007Tue 16-Jul-13 05:27 PM
392 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: NX2 and Lightroom 5 interaction"
In response to Reply # 6

El Paso, US

Rick,

Would these settings also apply to the D4 landscape shots?

Regards, Lance

http://lancerlevine.smugmug.com/

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Tue 16-Jul-13 05:35 PM
#8. "RE: NX2 and Lightroom 5 interaction"
In response to Reply # 7

Colorado Springs, US

Sure - they should be fine. Unlike NX2, LR or ACR's sharpening settings automatically adjust depending on the strength of the anti-aliasing filter in the camera. Sometimes some slight tweaks need to be done with specific cameras, but those should work fine with a D4.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

phil711 Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jun 2008Sat 20-Jul-13 12:38 AM
118 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: NX2 and Lightroom 5 interaction"
In response to Reply # 8

Williams, US

Hi Rick,

Would your suggested settings work also with the D800E -- with no anti-aliasing filter?

Phil

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Sat 20-Jul-13 10:30 AM
#10. "RE: NX2 and Lightroom 5 interaction"
In response to Reply # 9

Colorado Springs, US

No - I would back off the intensity amount by 10-15 points.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

Captain Rich Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Fri 26-Jul-13 09:36 PM
1193 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: NX2 and Lightroom 5 interaction"
In response to Reply # 10

Savannah, US

And the D700? (sorry to beat a dead horse)

Rich

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #11769 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.