nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #11766
View in linear mode

Subject: "Currently feeling very stupid: can't export selections ..." Previous topic | Next topic
lukaswerth Registered since 24th May 2012Mon 15-Jul-13 02:34 PM
388 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Currently feeling very stupid: can't export selections from masking into files in Photoshop CS6"
Mon 15-Jul-13 02:41 PM by lukaswerth

Lahore, PK

I used to do this in PS 5, but somehow it just doesn't function right now:
My aim is to get a selection of an image into a separate file to re-import it as a separate layer. For this, I create a new layer, say, curves, from the selection made, and then click on \file\scrips\export layers to files, safe as psd or tif (tried both), all what I get is the background as one fime and an empty canvas as another one, without any selecion.
I am flabbergasted. This procedure used to give me, if memory serves, along with the background a file with the selected area on an otherwise empty canvas which I could import into another picture.
What am I doing wrong? In other words, how do I export just the selected area of an image in PS6?

Lukas

Trying to be a keeper of the light

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lukaswerth/

also see my Nikonians gallery:
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/member.php/uid/444897

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

M_Jackson Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Oct 2005Mon 15-Jul-13 11:24 PM
683 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Currently feeling very stupid: can't export selections from masking into files in Photoshop CS6"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 15-Jul-13 11:52 PM by M_Jackson

Jackson, US

Lukas,
I will take a stab at this, assuming I understand what you are trying to do.

>>>My aim is to get a selection of an image into a separate file to re-import it as a separate layer.<<<

If all you want to do is make a new layer in an existing document with selected areas, all you have to do is hit Control-J (that's new layer via copy). Delete the background if desired. Save with new file name.

Or...copy the selection. Control-N for a new File with the dimensions of the current selection and Control-V to paste the info in a new document. Delete the background if desired. Save with new file name.

If the goal is simply to get a selection from one image into another image on a new layer, just make the selection, copy to the clipboard, change to the new document, and paste. Alternatively, you can drag a selection from one document to another document using the Move tool. Holding down the Shift key will drop it in the center of the receiving document.

M. Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY

Blog: www.bestofthetetons.com
Web Site: www.tetonimages.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #11766 Previous topic | Next topic