Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #11743
View in linear mode

Subject: "moving files between CS5 & LR4" Previous topic | Next topic
mitchfromwagga Registered since 16th Jun 2013Fri 12-Jul-13 12:38 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"moving files between CS5 & LR4"

Al Ain, AE

Hi folks,

I am hoping someone can help me solve my riddle. I am mainly using Lightroom 4 for most of my basic editing and viewing of photos. I also have CS5 and sometimes need to do additional edits in there. My goal is to simply open the file in LR4, right click, press edit in CS5 and do some edits there then save it back again into LR4 again.

Sometimes this works fine but at other times I open the file in CS5, edit it and press save. I have no idea where it goes then. The file in LR4 then does not have the new edits.
Other times it saves in perfectly back in LR4. I am not sure what I am doing wrong.
I am baffled. I thought maybe someone else has had the same problem and solved it.
I really appreciate any help you can give.

Many thanks,

Dave

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

M_Jackson Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Oct 2005Fri 12-Jul-13 04:42 PM
683 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: moving files between CS5 & LR4"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 12-Jul-13 04:45 PM by M_Jackson

Jackson, US

If you are editing a RAW file, it will take you to Photoshop where you do your work. If you click SAVE, it will use the original file name and add -EDIT.tif to the end of the file name and the file should show up in your LR catalog alongside the original.

If you click Save As, you can give it a new file name of choice and it will be saved in the directory you want to save it in, but it should still be added to your catalog.

If you are editing non raw files like, JPG, TIF, or PSD, it will give you three choices before going to Photoshop. One is the choice of applying current LR adjustments, one is to open as a copy, and the last one is to edit the original. Still, any of those should add the edited image to the LR Catalog. But, if you are in a specific LR folder and you save the TIF or PSD file in another folder, LR might not display it while you are still in the original folder.

Also, if you are doing edits out of the "Previous Import", the edited files will not show up there with them. You'd need to navigate to the import folder to see the edited files. I suspect that is most of your issue.

Lastly, I like to use the Export method more than the standard method above. I make export presets to put certain kinds of files in certain places with variables of my choosing. For my copyright submissions, I create a 600px-jpg preset that puts all of the selected files in a specific folder, changed to sRGB at 600 pixels JPG, strips out keywords, and adds copyright info. It gives me the option of adding the resulting files to my catalog or not. For the regular TIF files, I let LR put them in a folder called ProcessedImages at full size, 16 bit, AdobeRGB, with a custom file name, add them to the catalog, and open PS if it is not already open. This way, I always know where to look for the processed files. I can move them around later if desired.

M. Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY

Blog: www.bestofthetetons.com
Web Site: www.tetonimages.com

mitchfromwagga Registered since 16th Jun 2013Sat 13-Jul-13 11:47 AM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: moving files between CS5 & LR4"
In response to Reply # 1

Al Ain, AE

Mr Jackson,

Thanks very much for your help. I will give it a try.

Regards,

Dave.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

barrywesthead Silver Member Awareded for his continued support of the Nikonians community, freely sharing his expertise, particularly in the areas of digital post processing and printing. Nikonian since 07th Nov 2006Sat 13-Jul-13 02:15 PM
1254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: moving files between CS5 & LR4"
In response to Reply # 0

Kleinburg, CA

Just keep doing what you are doing. If you use "Save As" to rename the file PS will write it to the same folder but LR will not know it is there.

In LR right-click on the working folder's name in the left panel then click "Sync Folder". LR will import the new image and show it to you. Right-click the new inage and then click "Go to Folder in Library" and you are back the the working folder.

Barry
http://art2printimages.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #11743 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.