Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #11741
View in linear mode

Subject: "Best LR tutorial?" Previous topic | Next topic
PamWyss Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Oct 2012Fri 12-Jul-13 12:05 PM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Best LR tutorial?"

Seattle, US

Guys, what in your humble opinions is the best hold-my-hand tutorial book or video for someone who is a technophobe and new to LR? (And I mean the "push this button with an arrow to the button" kind of explanations. It needs to assume you know nothing, that you're the after-school-needs-tutoring type.)

I am of course referring to myself. I downloaded the sample, played for a little while with it but did not find it very self-evident. Now it's gone and I still want to learn it but before I buy the full program I know I need to get the best help available ready to use. (The woman on the Adobe site scares me.)

Any recommendations will be most appreciated.

Many thanks,

Pam

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Best LR tutorial?
JonK Moderator
12th Jul 2013
M_Jackson Silver Member
12th Jul 2013
JonK Moderator
12th Jul 2013
Jim Lait Silver Member
26th Jul 2013
teavenson Gold Member
20th Jul 2013
esantos Moderator
20th Jul 2013
Martin Gonn Gold Member
20th Jul 2013
PamWyss Silver Member
21st Jul 2013
Bushido7100
21st Jul 2013
PamWyss Silver Member
21st Jul 2013
Captain Rich Silver Member
26th Jul 2013
BWPaterson Silver Member
30th Jul 2013
kgb144 Silver Member
31st Jul 2013
ggibas Silver Member
31st Jul 2013
PamWyss Silver Member
01st Aug 2013

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Fri 12-Jul-13 02:21 PM
4424 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Best LR tutorial?"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

There are a number of resources, both book and video, for you, and many are freebies on YouTube and Adobe.

For a structured video instruction series, I recommend former Adobe evangelist George Jardine. He has several series: one an overview of Lightroom operation; another specifically on the Develop Module since that's where you will spend most of your Lightroom hours; and a Master Class series.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

M_Jackson Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 12-Jul-13 02:33 PM
676 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Best LR tutorial?"
In response to Reply # 1

Jackson, US

I give a thumbs up for the video tutorials at Lynda.com by Chris Orwig. He's a photography instructor at Brooks and does a great job of taking you through the program. For $25 for a month subscription, you can watch all of the Lightroom videos and ANY other title on ANY program as many times as you want. KelbyTranining.com has similar training courses, but for some reason have lagged on LR5 tutorials this go-around.

M. Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY

Blog: www.bestofthetetons.com
Web Site: www.tetonimages.com

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Fri 12-Jul-13 02:40 PM
4424 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Best LR tutorial?"
In response to Reply # 2

New York, US

I haven't watched those videos, but I too recommend Lynda.com, especially if there are other software apps in which you have interest. Then it is an unbeatable bargain!

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

Jim Lait Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Apr 2013Fri 26-Jul-13 09:43 PM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Best LR tutorial?"
In response to Reply # 1

Burlington, CA

I just want to second the comments about the George Jardine tutorials. I tried them out after reading the recommendation here and they are excellent. I have been using Lightroom for over 3 years,and watched a lot of tutorials. But George's series are the best that I have seen.
Jim

teavenson Gold Member Nikonian since 30th Jun 2006Sat 20-Jul-13 02:16 PM
64 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Best LR tutorial?"
In response to Reply # 0

Covina, US

I think the best tutorials for Lightroom can be found at The Luminous Landscape. One of the contract developers, Jeff Schewe, of much of Lightroom plus one of the principal coders, Eric Chan, provide much of the material. Micheal Reichmann creater of The Luminous Landscape web site is an experienced commerical photographer completes the group for a great learning experience.

Tom

Tom Eavenson
Covina,CA

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Sat 20-Jul-13 04:51 PM
11489 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Best LR tutorial?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 20-Jul-13 04:56 PM by esantos

McAllen, US

I also recommend the video tutorials on the Luminous Landscape website. You will not find a more knowledgeable instructor that Jeff Schewe as he has been a long time consultant and contributor to the development of Lightroom. You can find the videos here:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/videos/lr4_5_bundle.shtml

And as a companion piece I also recommend his excellent book The Digital Negative. While not a step-by-step "how to" book per se it is an experts view as to a philosophy of sorts on image preparation. I think it is one of the best books on camera raw processing available today.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

Martin Gonn Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jun 2013Sat 20-Jul-13 11:43 PM
153 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Best LR tutorial?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 20-Jul-13 11:44 PM by Martin Gonn

Portland, US

Hi Pam,

I know exactly how you feel. I'm new to digital and finding the software the toughest part. I just downloaded the LR trial version last night, played with it a little, but have to work with it more to see is it goes smoothly. I've also tried Nikon View/Capture and Phase One Capture One and have hit major roadblocks with each. If I come across something that I find really helpful I'll be sure to let you know. I'd love to hear how you make out. So for what it's worth. you're not alone.

Martin

PamWyss Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Oct 2012Sun 21-Jul-13 04:53 AM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Best LR tutorial?"
In response to Reply # 6

Seattle, US

Thanks Martin and thanks everyone. I'm looking at the options now. I wish Luminous Landscape showed you a peek preview. Has anyone heard of Phil Steele? I've now run across him, as well. Going to have to decide on one and just do it, I think.

Bushido7100 Registered since 03rd Jun 2013Sun 21-Jul-13 05:20 AM
51 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Best LR tutorial?"
In response to Reply # 7

US

I have used Scott Kelby's book on Lightroom 4. It is detailed and provided step by step for ALL of lightroom's capabilities. He also supplies all the photos he uses so you can check if you performed the steps properly . Since I have multiple monitors I use the Kindle version on one screen and Lightroom on the other.

http://www.amazon.com/Photoshop-Lightroom-Digital-Photographers-Voices/dp/0321819586/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1374384036&sr=1-1&keywords=scott+kelby+lightroom+4

Amazon indicates that his book on Lightroom 5 will be released on 8/1

PamWyss Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Oct 2012Sun 21-Jul-13 04:01 PM
#9. "RE: Best LR tutorial?"
In response to Reply # 7

Seattle, US

My mistake. I found a sample tutorial for Luminous Landscape: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/lr4_preview.shtml. Martin take note!

Thank you for the Scott Kelby recommendation but I am by far a better see-and-learner than I am read-and-learner. I need to be shown so I can follow along by doing.

Thank you Nikonians!!

Captain Rich Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Fri 26-Jul-13 09:33 PM
1179 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Best LR tutorial?"
In response to Reply # 9

Savannah, US

The Kelby videos are also excellent. I recently installed LR4 and was struggling with the whole thing. After watching Scott Kelby's LR video on travel post processing using LR4, I had a revelation about what I was doing wrong, and it's been pretty smooth sailing since then.

Rih

BWPaterson Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2009Tue 30-Jul-13 06:36 PM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Best LR tutorial?"
In response to Reply # 10

Lansdale, US

I have found Victoria Brampton's Adobe Lightroom 5 the missing FAQ to be an excellent resource. I bought her LR 4 and as soon as she did 5 I ordered it. There are two ways to get this book in pdf or hard copy. If you buy from her web site you can get one or the other or both. Amazon has the book and you can go to her web site and get PDF version.

It is nice to have PDF version with you and it also is in color while book is in B&W.

I too like the Kelby stuff though I like having a PDF version on my lap top when traveling.

kgb144 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2007Wed 31-Jul-13 08:32 AM
95 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Best LR tutorial?"
In response to Reply # 12

Ayrshire, GB

Also try Serge Ramelli, a French photographer who has great tutorials in English.

Kind regards,

ft

My Nikonians Gallery

Ayrshire, Scotland

ggibas Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2011Wed 31-Jul-13 01:02 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Best LR tutorial?"
In response to Reply # 13

Vernon Hills, US

Hi Pam,
I'm also new to Lightroom, and I have just completed the George Jardine Lightroom Library series of tutorials. I found them very helpful, and I have purchased the Develop series and may get the Catalog Management series too.

Another person to check out would be Tim Grey. I used George Jardine because of recommendations from this forum.

Regards,
Gary

PamWyss Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Oct 2012Thu 01-Aug-13 02:17 AM
#15. "RE: Best LR tutorial?"
In response to Reply # 14

Seattle, US

You guys continue to amaze me. THANK YOU for all this feedback.

Pam

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #11741 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.