Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #11723
View in linear mode

Subject: "Lightroom 5 (CC) is now slow moving files and adding ke..." Previous topic | Next topic
M_Jackson Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 10-Jul-13 04:43 AM
683 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Lightroom 5 (CC) is now slow moving files and adding keywords"
Wed 10-Jul-13 04:49 AM by M_Jackson

Jackson, US

I switched to Lightroom 5 right after it came out. For the most part, it is working fine.

However, I have having trouble moving files and adding keywords now.

It will eventually do both processes, but it is taking about 30 seconds for each move and again for adding keywords. When I try to close LR, I regularly get a message saying LR is still writing metadata and I have to wait for it to finish.

I have a fairly robust PC system with Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, 12 gigs of ram, fast video card, and plenty of USB 3 hard drive space and USB3 hubs and cables. It all worked fine with Lightroom 4.

When I first started noticing the problem, I suspected my hard drive might be malfunctioning. I optimized it and I ran a registry cleaner on the system. I found that I could move files with no problem at quick speeds if I used the file manager. It also works quickly if moving files while in Nikon View NX2. So, the drive is working fine.

I regularly test the integrity and optimize the LR catalog. Right now, the master catalog I use for my photos has a little over 187,000 images in it. That may be the problem, but I was told LR could handle this kind of large number.

It is taking around 30 seconds to move a D800 image from one folder on the same hard drive to another folder. Outside LR, I can move 40-50 image raw files in the same amount of time. LR imports the files to the drive quickly, too.

My catalog is located in a convenient folder on my D drive and is backed up regularly on my S drive. Individual image files are backed up on pairs of 3 TB USB3 drives.

My preview files are set to Standard/Low and my preview images are set to delete after a week.

This problem happens even after I reboot my system and am running only Lightroom 5 without having Photoshop running and taking resources.

So, in short, my system is the same, but LR has been updated to 5 through CC. I checked for updates already, too. My S drive is working fine, but moving files while in LR is a terribly slow process now. If anyone else is experiencing the same issue, please post here and if anyone has suggestions, I'd like to hear them.

Thanks in advance,
M. Jackson

M. Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY

Blog: www.bestofthetetons.com
Web Site: www.tetonimages.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Lightroom 5 (CC) is now slow moving files and addin...
EpicDan Silver Member
12th Jul 2013
JonK Moderator
12th Jul 2013
walkerr Administrator
12th Jul 2013
M_Jackson Silver Member
12th Jul 2013
JonK Moderator
12th Jul 2013
walkerr Administrator
12th Jul 2013
JonK Moderator
12th Jul 2013
M_Jackson Silver Member
12th Jul 2013
walkerr Administrator
12th Jul 2013
d200man
16th Jul 2013
M_Jackson Silver Member
16th Jul 2013
M_Jackson Silver Member
19th Jul 2013

EpicDan Silver Member Charter MemberFri 12-Jul-13 12:13 PM
703 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Lightroom 5 (CC) is now slow moving files and adding keywords"
In response to Reply # 0

St. Paul, US

It sounds like it is a catalog update issue. I had smartlists that killed performance. In 3 or 4 (can't recall) I had a smart list with +/- 100 people's names on it. Everytime I added a key word LR ended up scanning the table and was horribly slow. I dropped the list and LR became fast. You may have a similar issue.

Daniel McGowan
Visit my Nikonians gallery.

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Fri 12-Jul-13 02:26 PM
4885 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Lightroom 5 (CC) is now slow moving files and adding keywords"
In response to Reply # 1

New York, US

I vaguely recall that Smart Collections sometimes caused a similar performance hit.

FWIW, I am having no issues with LR5.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Fri 12-Jul-13 03:10 PM
14702 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Lightroom 5 (CC) is now slow moving files and adding keywords"
In response to Reply # 2

Colorado Springs, US

Ditto on both counts. I don't use Smart Collections often (and usually only temporarily), so I didn't see an impact with either this version or the previous one.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

M_Jackson Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 12-Jul-13 03:16 PM
683 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Lightroom 5 (CC) is now slow moving files and adding keywords"
In response to Reply # 1

Jackson, US

Hi Daniel,
I don't recall seeing anything in Lightroom regarding Smart Lists. I did a search in the LR help menu and it didn't come up with any results. If you can be more specific, it might help me.

Knowing my LR catalog has over 187,000 images, and that I've been fairly consistent about giving keywords to all of them, my keyword list is now huge. I've never heard any warnings about adding too many keywords but it might be coming back to haunt me.

Back when I started building my LR catalog, I was told (mainly at the Adobe Forums) to go ahead and keep all of my image files in one large catalog, vs worrying about trying to split them up. At one time, I had them split up and it was a pain in the rear. I eventually merged them.

I've always had lots of Smart Collections, but that never seemed to be an issue with LR4.

My LRCAT file is now 3 gigs, so if it is having to rewrite that file constantly with every small change, I can see how it might start lagging. Still, I think this a LR5 issue or bug that needs fixing.

M. Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Fri 12-Jul-13 03:40 PM
4885 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Lightroom 5 (CC) is now slow moving files and adding keywords"
In response to Reply # 4

New York, US

Smart Lists are, I believe, a a filtering routine based on groups of keywords. I assume that the performance hit is similar that of Smart Collections — where Lightroom is in effect continually monitoring and occasionally updating the data based on what I am doing at the time. Like Rick, I only use Smart Collections on a limited basis.

Jon Kandel

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Fri 12-Jul-13 03:43 PM
14702 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Lightroom 5 (CC) is now slow moving files and adding keywords"
In response to Reply # 4

Colorado Springs, US

I think he meant Smart Collections. There definitely were people who had performance problems when they migrated to LR4 and when they deleted their smart collections, the problems went away. I don't know if they were then able to recreate them without problem. If it's not too painful for you, this is one of the things I would definitely try. BTW, I don't believe it's due to the volume of keywords you're using - just their use in a Smart Collection (potentially).

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Fri 12-Jul-13 03:50 PM
#7. "RE: Lightroom 5 (CC) is now slow moving files and adding keywords"
In response to Reply # 6

New York, US

Suppose an existing Smart Collection is based on a keyword. I wonder if every time you ingest new images and are adding new keywords, Lightroom is going to reassess every image in the Library each time you add a keyword, almost a repeating loop. That might bog down performance.

Jon Kandel

M_Jackson Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 12-Jul-13 08:32 PM
#8. "RE: Lightroom 5 (CC) is now slow moving files and adding keywords"
In response to Reply # 6
Fri 12-Jul-13 08:34 PM by M_Jackson

Jackson, US

Rick,
Of the people having this problem, are they suggesting the issue is how many smart collections, or how many images are being referenced in the smart collections they have? (or both?)

I just went in and deleted eight or nine smart collection sets which included maybe 40 smart collections. Some of those were test entries I never deleted and some are redundant based on how I organized my folders and subfolders. Missing them won't affect me at all.

I'll report back if it speeds things up.

As far as I can tell, this started in LR5 and worked with no major speed issues in LR4.

Is there anything on any Adobe site that addresses this kind of issue?

Thanks in advance,

M. Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Fri 12-Jul-13 10:10 PM
#9. "RE: Lightroom 5 (CC) is now slow moving files and adding keywords"
In response to Reply # 8

Colorado Springs, US

Since I never experienced the problem, I'm not an expert in the precise circumstances that led to the performance issues, but I believe the complexity of the smart collections (how many terms) and the span of them drove the problem. I believe it also showed up in Adobe forums, but it's been long enough that I don't recall for certain. I would imagine that it's something in the database migration process that exacerbates the problem, but that's a guess. I would also be tempted to leave the program up for an extended time without doing anything, just in case there's something running in the background that hasn't completed.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

d200man Registered since 06th Feb 2011Tue 16-Jul-13 05:25 PM
42 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Lightroom 5 (CC) is now slow moving files and adding keywords"
In response to Reply # 0

Vancouver, US

Review AVG pc tunup. Do a search for it on the internet. Before running the installed program turn off all the AUTOMATIC functions and READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. Be aware, Customize Windows function will change the look of windows on your monitor. I spent a lot of time getting my monitor back to the original format. I disabled this fuction. But AVG pc tuneup did speed up my computer.

Bob

M_Jackson Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 16-Jul-13 08:52 PM
#11. "RE: Lightroom 5 (CC) is now slow moving files and adding keywords"
In response to Reply # 10

Jackson, US

Updates:

I tried making a copy of my LRCAT file into a new directory on the same drive as my original catalog. I renamed it and opened that catalog in LR5. I deleted all of my Smart Collections and Smart Collection Sets. The collection itself still has roughly 187,000 images in it.

I then tried moving 135 D4 images by selecting them and creating a new folder with the included images. It was still very slow. I'd guess it moved one file every 30-40 seconds.

Then, I went outside LR to Nikon View NX2 and dragged all 135 image files from the new folder back to the old folder. NX2 did this task in a matter of a couple of seconds. This tells me my system is working fine. I have Norton 360 loaded on this machine and it is constantly defragging and tuning up my computer.

I went back to LR and synchronized my two folders. I performed that task within a few minutes.

So, I don't think is an issue with my computer system, nor an issue noticeably associated with having a lot of Smart Collections. I still have to point back at LR5 and its ability to handle the large catalog.

M. Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY

M_Jackson Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 19-Jul-13 07:19 PM
#12. "RE: Lightroom 5 (CC) is now slow moving files and adding keywords"
In response to Reply # 11

Jackson, US

One more test:

I closed my current master catalog and opened one of my other catalogs that contain only 4,000 images. In that catalog, I could add new keywords in a snap and move files from folder to folder in what I remember being normal speed.

When I changed back to the catalog with 188,000 images, it was slow again on previewing images, moving images from folder to folder and adding keywords and metadata.

M. Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #11723 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.