Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #11711
View in linear mode

Subject: "Lightroom 5.0" Previous topic | Next topic
danshep Silver Member Charter MemberTue 09-Jul-13 04:16 AM
1314 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Lightroom 5.0"

Olympia, US

I upgraded to this newest one and ran UPDATE as well.

My question is about printing. How come I cannot change the bottom margin from .56 when all the other sides are .25?

I am using Epon 3800 and have printed from Photoshop forever with no problems.

My goal is a print with uniform margins, so the white space around the photo is not uneven.

"Today is the tomorrow that yesterday you spent money like there was no"

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Lightroom 5.0
pdekman Gold Member
09th Jul 2013
elcee Silver Member
09th Jul 2013
walkerr Administrator
10th Jul 2013
danshep Silver Member
10th Jul 2013
walkerr Administrator
11th Jul 2013
danshep Silver Member
11th Jul 2013
pdekman Gold Member
12th Jul 2013
danshep Silver Member
12th Jul 2013

pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows. Nikonian since 17th Nov 2005Tue 09-Jul-13 11:21 PM
1032 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Lightroom 5.0"
In response to Reply # 0

Swisher, US

I just gave this a try with LR5 and an Epson 3880 without problem. I used 17x22 paper size, typed in 0.25" margins all around, set the image cell to 21.5" x 16.5" and selected Zoom to Fill.

Can you list your settings to see what might be different?

Paul
My Nikonians Gallery

elcee Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Nov 2005Tue 09-Jul-13 11:41 PM
6107 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Lightroom 5.0"
In response to Reply # 0

Albuquerque, US

Maybe Epson/Adobe fielded complaints from users that the bottom of images was being cut off (beyond "printable region").

Or, you're misremembering (hey, I hate that when I do it), and you're using a different feed path than usual.

I base that last theory on this excerpt form the 3800 manual:
"Printable Area
The default margins around the printable area are 0.12 inch
(3 mm) for the top, right, and left, and bottom.
The borderless printing feature allows edge-to-edge printing
on some media (in the auto sheet feeder or rear paper slot)."
http://files.support.epson.com/pdf/pro38_/pro38_pg.pdf

The caveats are "some media" and where you feed it.

~LarryC (eLCee)

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Wed 10-Jul-13 12:10 AM
14456 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Lightroom 5.0"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

It works fine for me with a 3880, so it's not something inherent to all printers and their drivers.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

danshep Silver Member Charter MemberWed 10-Jul-13 10:33 PM
1314 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Lightroom 5.0"
In response to Reply # 0

Olympia, US

When you go into print, which paper do you select, assuming I want an 8x10 image on an 8.5x11 sheet of paper? I chose letter.

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Thu 11-Jul-13 01:12 AM
14456 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Lightroom 5.0"
In response to Reply # 4
Thu 11-Jul-13 01:14 AM by walkerr

Colorado Springs, US

I just tried that with an 8x10 image, and it worked fine. No problems with the margins.

Can you post a screenprint of what you see in the Print module when you try to do this?

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

danshep Silver Member Charter MemberThu 11-Jul-13 08:10 PM
#6. "RE: Lightroom 5.0"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 11-Jul-13 08:10 PM by danshep

Olympia, US

Here is a screen print from my iMac in Lightroom 5.0, including a photo of two nephews and on the right, my menu options.

Please notice I am in printing and it shows the Left, Right, Top margins at .25 and the Bottom margin at .56.

Notice also that the bottom of the photograph has extra white space and it is certainly not even around the picture. When I do not print but save the file and open it in Finder, the photo has the white margin and includes the excess white space.

Thanks for any help!

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows. Nikonian since 17th Nov 2005Fri 12-Jul-13 12:00 AM
1032 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Lightroom 5.0"
In response to Reply # 6

Swisher, US

To get equal 0.25" margins around all sides on an 8.5x11" paper, you'd have to have a cell size of 8x10.5". Use the Zoom to Fill option to avoid having to crop the image exactly to that aspect ratio.

In your example, the height works out exactly for the paper selected.(0.25" top + 0.56" bottom + 10.19" cell = 11.0")

Paul
My Nikonians Gallery

danshep Silver Member Charter MemberFri 12-Jul-13 08:20 PM
#8. "RE: Lightroom 5.0"
In response to Reply # 0

Olympia, US

Thanks Paul, for your response.

That did not solve it, but spending some time researching the Lightroom help, I found it!

According to their site, the solution was: "If you choose Page Setup (or Printer Settings) you can set various properties of your printer. If your printer has an option for "Borderless Printing" then set that in the printer's settings. You should then be able to reduce the margins in Lightroom's Margins settings. (Normal settings would be Scaled Printing with 100% scaling, which prints within the printers page margins, and these will be the minimum values that you can set in Lightroom; however when you choose "borderless printing" in the printer setup, Lightroom allows you to reduce these margins.)".

Thanks all, for your help.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #11711 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.