nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #11697
View in linear mode

Subject: "Half the megs from RAW to JPG" Previous topic | Next topic
francine Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jun 2007Sat 06-Jul-13 02:52 PM
904 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"Half the megs from RAW to JPG"
Sat 06-Jul-13 03:12 PM by francine

Thornton, US

I have a RAW file that is about 27 megapixels and no matter what I do it changes to about 12-15 when saved to JPG. Is that normal or am I missing a setting I should change. The problem I am comming up with is when I send to Costco to print the quality is not as good as when I had my old D90. I have the D7100. In my computer it is sharp and when I crop in Costco the picture quality isnt as good I used to crop all the time with D90 and never had a problem. I know they changed the download and I was told you do not get to download the total megs anymore, there is a limit. I am also thinking of going someplace different but love there prices. Any helps or suggestions would help me out of my insanity.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Half the megs from RAW to JPG
Isonychia
06th Jul 2013
aolander Silver Member
06th Jul 2013
francine Silver Member
06th Jul 2013
blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
06th Jul 2013
aolander Silver Member
06th Jul 2013
francine Silver Member
06th Jul 2013
coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire”
07th Jul 2013
francine Silver Member
07th Jul 2013
PerroneFord Silver Member
09th Jul 2013
ajdooley Gold Member
07th Jul 2013
JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography
09th Jul 2013
francine Silver Member
09th Jul 2013
PerroneFord Silver Member
10th Jul 2013
francine Silver Member
11th Jul 2013
spencejm Silver Member
12th Jul 2013
francine Silver Member
12th Jul 2013
PAStime Silver Member
15th Jul 2013

Isonychia Registered since 19th Apr 2009Sat 06-Jul-13 03:24 PM
38 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Half the megs from RAW to JPG"
In response to Reply # 0

Huntington, WV, US

I'm sure others know the nuances of this better than I, and can fill you in accordingly, but the bottom line is that JPG is a compressed format. When a file gets converted from RAW to JPG, the software throws away a slew of data to compress the file into the JPG format.

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Sat 06-Jul-13 03:35 PM
3357 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Half the megs from RAW to JPG"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

The D7100's resolution is 24 megapixels and the file size is around 20 to 28 megabytes, so your RAW is probably 27 megabytes not megapixels. A JPEG would be around 12 megabytes or less depending upon the compression, so what you're seeing (12-15MB) would be about right. That's normal.

Somewhere along the process of printing through Costco, the image may be losing quality because of resizing and/or compression. To make smaller prints, you don't need the full 24MP (6000 x 4000 pixels) which would make a 20 x 13.3 inch print if printed at 300 ppi. Perhaps you should do all of your resizing and cropping (pixel dimensions) and quality (compression) changes in your own image editor so you're not depending upon Costco's system to do that. For example if you crop an image and then resize it to print a 10 x 8, you would only need an image that was 3000 x 2400 pixels in dimensions. You could then set the quality to compress it to fit Costco's MB requirements, if necessary. (Don't get MP mixed up with MB.)

Alan

francine Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jun 2007Sat 06-Jul-13 03:49 PM
904 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Half the megs from RAW to JPG"
In response to Reply # 2

Thornton, US

Thanks for all thee info.
I do all my own editing in CS6 RAW. I picked up pictures from Costco the other day and many of the pictures are not as sharp as they are on my computer. That has never happened before.
One more think if you go into cs6 RAW and adjust the sharpness do you have to apply some how or does it attach once you open to photoshop?

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sat 06-Jul-13 05:00 PM
26893 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: Half the megs from RAW to JPG"
In response to Reply # 3

Richmond, US

Sounds like the file is being downsampled by Costco, although I couldn't prove that. Try one of the quality-oriented services, such as White House Custom Color - you don't need to switch permanently, just try it. If you follow their directions I bet you'll get really excellent output, meaning that it's something having to do with Costco, not the D7100.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Sat 06-Jul-13 04:58 PM
3357 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Half the megs from RAW to JPG"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

What size prints do you usually have printed? What are the pixel dimensions of the images you send to the printer? Output sharpening is recommended after final resizing for printing.

Alan

francine Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jun 2007Sat 06-Jul-13 11:25 PM
#6. "RE: Half the megs from RAW to JPG"
In response to Reply # 4

Thornton, US

I went back to costco today and they are bending over backwards to help me. They know me and have my order on the counter before I reach it. Love that. They check the files and for some reason they are downloading as KB which is way to small especially when I am cropping. They are calling the techs to find out what happened. I will let you know what happens.
I Just started reading Scott Kelby's CS6 book and I am learning so much but after all this I thought maybe I am doing to much in Post processing. I finally learned how to get rid of noise and it is so easy and works great. I also am uping vibrance and clarity but not sure how far to go yet. Does most people change the camera profile in RAW third button from the right

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 01st Dec 2011Sun 07-Jul-13 05:19 AM
3098 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Half the megs from RAW to JPG"
In response to Reply # 0

McEwen, US

If they are somehow downsizing your file from a large number of megabytes to a low number of kilobytes, that is some serious compression, and your image will get trashed in the process.

But do pay attention to the distinction between bytes and pixels. It is confusing if people don't speak carefully. Pixel dimensions limit the size print you can get at any given resolution. File size is a function of how the file is compressed---you can have an image with adequate pixels that is so highly compressed that the quality is degraded. I suspect that is what is happening to your files.

That is the first issue I have ever heard of with Costco photo processing.

I did look at their info about supported browsers. There is a "quick uploader" for Internet Explorer, that is apparently new to their photo service. I'd be willing to bet that downsizes your files substantially. Shutterfly has a similar option. Either one is fine if you have mediocre photos and want a 4x6 print. I doubt that is what you have! Be sure you're not using it.

I did find a list of their minimum & optimum pixel dimensions for their print products, HERE. However, it says nothing about file size.

On this page it says that your storage is unlimited as long as you have an active account. So file size should not be a concern from that regard.

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

francine Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jun 2007Sun 07-Jul-13 01:18 PM
#8. "RE: Half the megs from RAW to JPG"
In response to Reply # 7

Thornton, US

I think it is a bug in the system right now. I am very picky about my pictures. I now professionals that use them and they have great results.
I have never had a problem before and I guess we need to get the bugs fixed.

PerroneFord Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011Tue 09-Jul-13 03:19 PM
2641 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Half the megs from RAW to JPG"
In response to Reply # 8

Tallahassee, US

>I think it is a bug in the system right now.

Perhaps.

>I am very picky about my pictures.

Ok.

>I now professionals that use them and they
>have great results.

If I found that any pro I hired was printing my work at Costco, I'd fire them on the spot.

When I want a great steak, I don't go to Golden Corral. When I want a great drink, I don't go to mom & pop's bar, and when I want pro level results from my photo prints, I don't take them to Costco.

Send your prints to Millers, WHCC, Bay Photo, BWC, Black River, or any one of the other top shelf photo printers in this country. It could well be that your local Costco fired the one competent photo employee they had, or that person had some ambition and moved on with their life. Who knows. But continuing to take your work to the lowest common denominator printer because they are a few cents cheaper is likely going to continue to cause these kinds of issues.

The old adage of "you get what you pay for" seems appropriate here.

------
Webpage: http://www.ptfphoto.com

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Sun 07-Jul-13 01:35 PM
1957 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Half the megs from RAW to JPG"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 07-Jul-13 01:36 PM by ajdooley

Waterloo, US

Francine -

I agree with your last observation. It is much more likely to be a problem at COSTCO than with your camera or processes. Unfortunately, many economy retailers who process pictures do so with employees with only the barest of skills. They are basically button pushers, and if there is an error in their process, they simply duplicate it time and time again. Most people don't notice -- you are apparently the exception! They should pay you to QC their processes! Good luck.

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Tue 09-Jul-13 05:03 PM
5076 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Half the megs from RAW to JPG"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

While I wouldn't let Costco off the hook just yet, if the downsizing problem occurs mostly (or always) when you crop, check to see if you inadvertently have a number (a low one) in the "resolution" setting of the Crop tool. You may be accidentally downsizing the cropped image.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

francine Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jun 2007Tue 09-Jul-13 11:06 PM
#12. "RE: Half the megs from RAW to JPG"
In response to Reply # 11

Thornton, US

It is definitely Costco. I have been using them for many years. I like to print out the best pictures to show friends and put some on my wall. I have been happy with the results. Sometimes It is hard to get the exact results that is on the computer and I learned you cant because of the lighting. Costco is priced right for my obsession, if I was to sell or publish I would go to a professional lab. It is the same crew that has worked there since I started at this Costco 6 years ago and they are doing everything they can to help me. Costco started this change to allow less megabytes because some people were abusing the limit with extremely large files and not flattening out the layers. That is what i was told.

PerroneFord Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011Wed 10-Jul-13 03:33 AM
2641 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Half the megs from RAW to JPG"
In response to Reply # 12

Tallahassee, US

Jpegs don't have layers. And even if they use large files, they can be deleted when the job is complete. Now the part about them using less megabytes is probably true and that is what is likely accounting for the differences you see.

Seems you have a choice to make. Stick with the new crappy quality at Costco, or go somewhere else that doesn't destroy your files.

Best of luck.

------
Webpage: http://www.ptfphoto.com

francine Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jun 2007Thu 11-Jul-13 04:40 AM
#14. "RE: Half the megs from RAW to JPG"
In response to Reply # 13

Thornton, US

I agree I might have to find an alternative. Now thinking you are right it could not have been layers so nobody knows what is going on. I guess it was a way to increass the bottom line

spencejm Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Jul 2004Fri 12-Jul-13 04:49 AM
146 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Half the megs from RAW to JPG"
In response to Reply # 14

Columbia, US

Check out MPIX. They are a division of Millers that is geared towards the amateur market. They do very high quality work for what I feel is a reasonable price. In fact, everything I've ordered from them has actually been shipped from Millers.

I am struggling with my inner adult

francine Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jun 2007Fri 12-Jul-13 02:18 PM
#16. "RE: Half the megs from RAW to JPG"
In response to Reply # 15

Thornton, US

Thanks I am going to

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Mon 15-Jul-13 02:52 AM
2670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Half the megs from RAW to JPG"
In response to Reply # 16
Mon 15-Jul-13 02:53 AM by PAStime

Kingston, CA

I think you guys are being too quick in bashing Costco. Sure, they aren't professional printers, but they have some decent printers in their photo centers.

When the OP writes:

"I have a RAW file that is about 27 megapixels and no matter what I do it changes to about 12-15 when saved to JPG. Is that normal or am I missing a setting I should change."

and

"when I crop in Costco"

it suggests to me that there is an insufficient understanding of the fundamentals of file formats, pixel dimensions, etc. So we don't really know what is going on.

Printing seems to have worked previously for the D90 and now it doesn't for the D7000? That's a lead to investigate.

Costco has an 8 MB image file size limit. That's plenty of data for up to 8x10 for most applications.

What's the pixel dimension and file size prior to upload? After upload?

Peter

Peter

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #11697 Previous topic | Next topic