Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #11640
View in linear mode

Subject: "Need some more magic from the PS magic wand" Previous topic | Next topic
s2sailorlis_nikon Registered since 19th Jun 2012Fri 28-Jun-13 06:20 PM
529 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Need some more magic from the PS magic wand"
Fri 28-Jun-13 06:21 PM by s2sailorlis_nikon

US

I started using this tool in CS2 (yes I still use CS 2 so pls no commentary...;>) was wanting to alter a landscape shot by darkening the sky without impacting rest of scene.

When I do this my boundary pixels (where magic wand selection ends) are not taking my changes. See below and appreciate any thoughts.

Thank you.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

excuse typos...via iPad....

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Need some more magic from the PS magic wand
esantos Moderator
29th Jun 2013
quenton8 Silver Member
30th Jun 2013
barrywesthead Silver Member
30th Jun 2013
noneco Silver Member
30th Jun 2013
s2sailorlis_nikon
30th Jun 2013
cogrady Silver Member
07th Jul 2013
HenkB Silver Member
14th Jul 2013

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Sat 29-Jun-13 07:08 PM
11512 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Need some more magic from the PS magic wand"
In response to Reply # 0

McAllen, US

It is very difficult (and tedious) to make a selection of the sky in an image like this. There are so many small details jutting into the blue sky that you will almost always end up with some area excluded. The best way to deal with uneven, broken horizons is to shoot in HDR.

You might want to try a different approach in post processing. Instead of using the Magic Wand try darkening the image globally by using Levels on an adjustment layer. Now add a layer mask and paint the foreground back in using the Brush (B) tool set to black. By changing the brush size, softness, and opacity when painting near the edge of the rock formations you can probably get a pretty believable image with a little practice and a lot of patience.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Sun 30-Jun-13 12:02 AM
1222 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Need some more magic from the PS magic wand"
In response to Reply # 1
Sun 30-Jun-13 12:03 AM by quenton8

Toronto, CA

I have been learning over the last year or so to use layer copies, modified for an effect and the masked.

Initially, and partly because of what I had read, I was trying to work with selections, but I found that the masked layer was way easier to work with, and I find I am going that direction more and more.

I tried both on this photo and found that the masked layer was WAY easier to use.

----
Dennis Smith.

barrywesthead Silver Member Awareded for his continued support of the Nikonians community, freely sharing his expertise, particularly in the areas of digital post processing and printing. Nikonian since 07th Nov 2006Sun 30-Jun-13 11:57 AM
1254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Need some more magic from the PS magic wand"
In response to Reply # 2

Kleinburg, CA

Have you tried Select>Modify>Expand and Select>Modify>Feather?

Expand followed by Smooth and then Contract might also give an improved result.

The Quick Selection Tool with Refine Edges is a better approach but I think it was introduced in CS3?

Barry
http://art2printimages.com

noneco Silver Member Nikonian since 12th May 2009Sun 30-Jun-13 06:24 PM
181 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Need some more magic from the PS magic wand"
In response to Reply # 3

Vancouver, CA

I’ve been playing with channels lately – not an expert! Try selecting for colour. I'm using CS6 but I 'think' this is doable in CS2.

- I copied your JPG into PS and selected only the blue channel – turned off Red & Green,
- Control-Click on the Blue Channel,
- Control-D to deselect all to remove the marching ants from the rocks,
- Magic wand through the sky, blue
- select a Levels Adjustment to produce a Layer with the sky selected in a Mask,
- darkened the blue sky with the Level Adjustment.

Obviously too much (could use the Opacity Slider to reduce the effect) but the point is to show the effect and the edge problem. It might work with the original image to give you a better edge at the sky/rock interface.

Cal

Visit http://www.365.acdsee.com/user/Cal/

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

s2sailorlis_nikon Registered since 19th Jun 2012Sun 30-Jun-13 11:19 PM
529 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Need some more magic from the PS magic wand"
In response to Reply # 4

US

ALL....Thans much for the advice. When I get my new computer set up this week I'll test these different techniques.

excuse typos...via iPad....

cogrady Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jan 2009Sun 07-Jul-13 01:54 PM
555 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Need some more magic from the PS magic wand"
In response to Reply # 5

Salt Lake City, US

I realize you said you wanted to do this using a selection with the magic wand, but I think a better approach is to use the color balance to bring up the blue and cyan (take down red and yellow), and then use a soft edged brush to mask off the foreground. This took me about a minute to edit. I find it much easier than trying to make selections.

Cheers!
Claudia

www.one-eye-closed.com
www.lastlightphotographicstudios.com

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

HenkB Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2004Sun 14-Jul-13 06:10 PM
536 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Need some more magic from the PS magic wand"
In response to Reply # 0

Wayland, US

You may be running into a problem with the sharpening applied to the skyline. The lack of color information in the very distinct sharpening halo makes selection based on not-land difficult. If you can back up your edits to before you have applied any sharpening you might have more success. I don't recall if CS2 is before the refine selection edge feature made it into the tool set. One can always set a slight gaussian blur to the layer mask and paint it away where the effect is inappropriate.

Some of the methods mentioned in other answers are fine stand-ins for the magic wand (& in later versions the quick selection tool). A third would be Select/Color Range which can select the sky. Put the eyedropper in the sky and either adjust the sensitivity with the fuzziness slider or shift-click to increase the number of colors under the selection. As with any other selection method, choosing an adjustment layer will populate the mask with the current selection.

Best,

Hendrik

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #11640 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.