Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #11454
View in linear mode

Subject: "Lightroom vs CS6" Previous topic | Next topic
Melman59 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2009Sun 16-Jun-13 09:43 PM
312 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Lightroom vs CS6"

Monroe, US

My wife has expressed interest in getting her own computer so she can edit her own pictures instead of me doing them. My questions is this: Would Lightroom as her sole imaging editor be sufficient? It would cost quite a bit less. She would not be doing anything fancy to her photographs. Also, does Lightroom have the ability to soft proof. This is something I do in CS5, and would like her to learn how to do it too. Thanks for any advice you can give me.
Tom

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Lightroom vs CS6
walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
16th Jun 2013
quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional.
16th Jun 2013
Scotty Silver Member
17th Jun 2013
sabbey51 Gold Member
17th Jun 2013
Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional.
17th Jun 2013
Melman59 Silver Member
17th Jun 2013
TiggerGTO Silver Member
17th Jun 2013
walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
17th Jun 2013
scenicshutterbug Silver Member
17th Jun 2013

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 05th May 2002Sun 16-Jun-13 10:19 PM
14803 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Lightroom vs CS6"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

It sounds like a good match for her needs, and it will certainly do quite a bit, including soft proofing.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Sun 16-Jun-13 11:56 PM
1316 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Lightroom vs CS6"
In response to Reply # 1

Toronto, CA

I agree that LR sounds like a good fit.

IF she decides she needs some pixel-editing, she might try PSE which is a scaled-down CS and costs, if I remember right, $99.

----
Dennis Smith.

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Mon 17-Jun-13 02:09 AM
4850 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Lightroom vs CS6"
In response to Reply # 0

Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK

I have both and find I use LR for about 80-90% of all my PP... LR is excellent...

D2Xs + AF20-35mm f2.8 + AF35-70mm f2.8 + AF80-200mm f2.8

Hunger pays a heavy price to the shining Gods of speed and steel

LIKE me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AlexJPScottPhotography

http://alexjpscottphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

Alex

sabbey51 Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jan 2010Mon 17-Jun-13 02:17 AM
581 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Lightroom vs CS6"
In response to Reply # 3

Saddle river, US

I use LR + PS Elements. LR5 has a few pixel editing tools now, although no layers. I'm bad enuf with Elements - I don't think PS CC would improve my images; more likely would just let me waste more time before giving up. M

Seriously - LR is valuable enough on its own Terms that there's little risk in stating there and seeing what gaps develop in what she would like to do. She'll still benefit from having LR.

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Mon 17-Jun-13 02:13 AM
2540 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Lightroom vs CS6"
In response to Reply # 0

Vantaa, FI

With the upgrades offered by version 5, LR does virtually everything that can be expected by anyone who has not done any post-processing, apart from combining content from multiple photos into a single image. And then some. The new gradient (or graduated?) filter in LR5 is simply stunning. It has no equivalent in Photoshop. Imagine defining an oval-shaped center area of a photo. Within the oval, you have attention-grabbing settings, like improved clarity, sharpness, vibration and/or saturation, and outside the oval the photo just fades into the background. With Photoshop, you could emulate that by stacking multiple smart filter layers, linked to the same image mask, but it's so much simpler in LR5, at a fraction of the cost.

Regards, Antero

Melman59 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2009Mon 17-Jun-13 04:56 AM
312 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Lightroom vs CS6"
In response to Reply # 0

Monroe, US

Thanks everyone for your advice. Lightroom it will be. I really want her to learn how to do her editing. We love to journey out into nature and take photographs together. In fact we just got back from Rocky Mountain National Park about two hours ago. But if I make an early departure from this life I would love nothing better than for her to continue taking photographs and to do that she needs to learn the editing part too. Thanks again.
Tom

TiggerGTO Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006Mon 17-Jun-13 01:09 PM
2258 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Lightroom vs CS6"
In response to Reply # 6

Apex, US

When I print an image, usually one of the last things I do is add a simple border. Usually a few pixels of white followed by a few pixels of black. I find that if the mat is cut to leave a white border all the way around the image, these "stroke" borders help to better define the edge of the image. In Photoshop, this simple addition is easy to do by expanding the canvas. I have not yet tried printing from Lightroom. Is there any feature in Lightroom that would allow the addition of a simple border like this?

Danny
A Nikonian in North Carolina

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 05th May 2002Mon 17-Jun-13 01:19 PM
14803 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Lightroom vs CS6"
In response to Reply # 7

Colorado Springs, US

Yes, it's built into the Print module and is called "Stroke Border". You can vary both the width of the stroke and the color.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

scenicshutterbug Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2008Mon 17-Jun-13 09:05 PM
901 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Lightroom vs CS6"
In response to Reply # 0

Richland, US

Perhaps you already have CS5 installed on two machines, but if not, you should be able to install your copy of CS5 on your wife's machine. I believe Adobe's licensing allows for one copy to be activated on two machines. (The caveat is that they are not supposed to be in use at the same time.)

Karen

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #11454 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.