Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #11430
View in linear mode

Subject: "Drives being relettered and LR not finding" Previous topic | Next topic
dgillilan Silver Member Nikonian since 15th May 2006Sun 16-Jun-13 01:10 PM
2530 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Drives being relettered and LR not finding"

Williamsburg, US

Hi,
I have photos on three external hard drives and it seems that my PC assigns letters to them that are not always the same letters, i.e., drive "E" may be drive "G" next time I get on my PC.
My LR 4.4 catalog therefore cannot find the photos on drive E which is now thought of as drive G, etc. It is a real problem.
Is there a way in Windows 7 to assign and stick, the letters assigned to external hard drives, so LR can stick to those letters?

Thanks, Debra

Visit My Nikonian Gallery: http://www.nikonians-images.com/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=94067
My Zenfolio Gallery: http://debragillilan.zenfolio.com/

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Sun 16-Jun-13 01:39 PM
1275 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Drives being relettered and LR not finding"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

Some applications will find the drive based on a drive named assigned to the drive itself -- LR is not one of those

Yes in Windows-7 you can assign a drive letter -- lots of steps to get there, so rather than enumerating them, here is a link I found quite good ...
http://www.howtogeek.com/96298/assign-a-static-drive-letter-to-a-usb-drive-in-windows-7/

----
Dennis Smith.

polarpics Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Jan 2013Sun 16-Jun-13 02:07 PM
236 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Drives being relettered and LR not finding"
In response to Reply # 1

Ontario, CA

Thanks Dennis - this is good info as I also have this problem.

Bill

Bill

Cold weather photography makes a VR lens your best friend. Think violent shivering.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

dgillilan Silver Member Nikonian since 15th May 2006Sun 16-Jun-13 03:34 PM
2530 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Drives being relettered and LR not finding"
In response to Reply # 1

Williamsburg, US

Thanks Dennis, I am using this method shown in your post and I am hoping it clears up my LR4 problems and "sticks".
I hope to update soon to LR5 and plan to, just have some other updates I am doing now, a new printer coming next week(Canon ipf 6400) so the LR5 update can wait a couple months.

Thanks again for your help,
Debra

Visit My Nikonian Gallery: http://www.nikonians-images.com/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=94067
My Zenfolio Gallery: http://debragillilan.zenfolio.com/

EpicDan Silver Member Charter MemberThu 20-Jun-13 12:11 PM
703 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Drives being relettered and LR not finding"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 20-Jun-13 12:17 PM by EpicDan

St. Paul, US

My external drives have an initial folder into which everything is placed. As a result I only have to find the root folder to fix mappings for all the sub-folders.

My sub-folders are also uniquely numbered so Feb comes after Jan and I can see if I'm missing a folder on a backup. Most folders are named for the major event they contain.

In this example I only have to find two folders: Photos and Photos 2.

F: (or whatever it uses this time)
\Photos 2
.\2013
..\0121 Jan
..\0122 Feb
..\0123 Mar Snow storms forever
..\0124

G:
\Photos
.\2009
..\0001 New camera
..\0002 Camp Ripley
..\ etc . . . . .
.\2010
..\0023 More stuff
..\0024 Sarajevo

Updated to add leading '.' because my display doesn't show lines with leading spaces.
Daniel McGowan

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #11430 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.