Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #11406
View in linear mode

Subject: "Notes on LR5 ..." Previous topic | Next topic
quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Thu 13-Jun-13 02:37 PM
1261 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Notes on LR5 ..."
Thu 13-Jun-13 02:38 PM by quenton8

Toronto, CA

Well here are my comments ...

• new spot removal -- great but an ability to feather the edges under clone would be nice. I had to remove a drinking glass from a nice (nice for cloning) background, but the edges using clone were very obvious and I had to do a smaller heal just around the edges. Nice otherwise.
  • upright!! - great -- I tried it on a few images I had already adjusted and the result was improved in all cases, and on one I had not touched I have no idea how it figured out what to do, no good straight lines that I could find.
  • radial graduated -- don't know yet -- I will watch for an opportunity to use it

Overall I think its good and I don't mind $79 just for the two things I noted above.

----
Dennis Smith.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Notes on LR5 ...
mickeyb48 Gold Member
13th Jun 2013
FredB D3 Silver Member
16th Jun 2013
mickeyb48 Gold Member
16th Jun 2013
quenton8 Silver Member
17th Jun 2013
ndtking Gold Member
18th Jun 2013
quenton8 Silver Member
18th Jun 2013
JonK Moderator
19th Jun 2013

mickeyb48 Gold Member Nikonian since 08th Oct 2012Thu 13-Jun-13 10:24 PM
67 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Notes on LR5 ..."
In response to Reply # 0

Dacula, US

I bought the upgrade. I played with a few shots last night. Our staff photographer turn me on to Lightroom 4 last year. He showed me a trick, I really like. In develop module, turn off the color, and use black and white mode first. I turned on show and shadow highlight clipping, adjust contrast, clarity, and what ever other adjustments that need to be done. Make it look as good as possible in the black and white mode, then when done, go back to color mode. I really like the way photos look in LR 5

Mike

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

FredB D3 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jun 2008Sun 16-Jun-13 10:57 AM
868 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Notes on LR5 ..."
In response to Reply # 0

Potomac, US

Okay, my notes. One note, actually, beyond saying I am really liking it overall.

The application freezes, not always, but often enough to be annoying, when rotating image in crop mode. Doesn't seem to happen when rotating using manual lens correction. When app freezes, need to force quit and then restart the app. Using iMac and OS X 10.8.4.

Fred
Maryland, USA

mickeyb48 Gold Member Nikonian since 08th Oct 2012Sun 16-Jun-13 03:34 PM
67 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Notes on LR5 ..."
In response to Reply # 2

Dacula, US

My system is pretty hefty on ram (32 meg and using a solid state drive), running Windows 7

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Mon 17-Jun-13 07:53 PM
1261 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Notes on LR5 ..."
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

I did find a rather unexpected issue with the new spot removal.

I rotated a photo slightly without telling it to constrain to the bounds of the photo, so I got two slivers of white top and bottom corners.

I tried to clone something on top of them, but it won't clone outside of the original photo bounds

----
Dennis Smith.

ndtking Gold Member Nikonian since 16th Jun 2008Tue 18-Jun-13 04:50 PM
213 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Notes on LR5 ..."
In response to Reply # 4

Kitchener, CA

Dennis -

Can't you click constrain crop afterwards? (I'm using LR4, and can constrain before or after the crop.)

As for the slivers, I usually edit those in CS6 (CS5 works, too) - just select and fill with content aware.

Gerry King
Ontarian Nikonian
Flickr Gallery:www.flickr.com/photos/ndtking

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Tue 18-Jun-13 04:52 PM
#6. "RE: Notes on LR5 ..."
In response to Reply # 5

Toronto, CA

In this case I did not want to constrain the crops, I wanted to grow the image just slightly to get what I wanted.

Yes, I have always used CS6 to do expanding crops and clone, just thought I would try LR5.

----
Dennis Smith.

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Wed 19-Jun-13 06:59 PM
4704 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Notes on LR5 ..."
In response to Reply # 4

New York, US

This is, unfortunately, correct. Lightroom can't make the image frame larger. The slivers are outside the defined area of the rendered NEF.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #11406 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.