Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #11384
View in linear mode

Subject: "Syncing your photos from Lightroom to iPad" Previous topic | Next topic
ahubba Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Apr 2009Wed 12-Jun-13 07:06 PM
63 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Syncing your photos from Lightroom to iPad"

North Kingstown, US

What strategies do other people use to sync their Lightroom photos to IPad?

I converted from Aperture a year ago (great decision BTW). But the one downside has been how to get my pictures easily from Lightroom to my IPad.

I know you can export to your hard drive - and sync through iTunes. That's what I'm currently doing - but you lose the album capability. It only allows two levels of folders. I would really like all my collections to end up as individual albums on the IPad.

What do you folks do?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Wed 12-Jun-13 07:24 PM
4910 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Syncing your photos from Lightroom to iPad"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

This is my general workflow for both personal stuff and paid shoots:

• Output web-res images form Lightroom to a new folder on the desktop.
• Import images form that folder into a new Album in iPhoto
• That Album is now available to sync with my iPhone and iPad

Right now on my iPhone and iPad I have twenty-something Albums, some personal pics, some by subject, and some paid shoots.

Another benefit of this method, for those few who may still be using iWeb, is that dragging the iPhoto Album to an iWeb page instantly generates a photo gallery.

This process is very quick. I can get a few hundred images from a client shoot on my portables and my website in an hour.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

gorji Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jan 2007Fri 21-Jun-13 12:48 AM
309 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Syncing your photos from Lightroom to iPad"
In response to Reply # 1

Jamesville, US

I like this very much Jon.
-------------
Please visit my galleries: Reza Gorji Photography

sabbey51 Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jan 2010Sun 23-Jun-13 04:41 AM
573 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Syncing your photos from Lightroom to iPad"
In response to Reply # 2

Saddle river, US

Thanks to another Nikonian, I started using the Publish to Hard Drive service in LR. This allows you to define albums, and add/delete photos from them. LR will sync each album to a subfolder of a folder on your disk and I have this folder defines to iTunes as the place to sync photos from. Each of our iDevices (his & hers phones/pads) can pick up the subfolders desired. I have the export preset so it is optimized for a retina ipad.

I further use keywords and smart selections to define each subfolder; for instance "Cory's Wedding'. This makes it easy to add or delete images from each set.

The big advantage of the Publish service over simple exporting is that it deletes images from the subfolders as well as adding new ones.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #11384 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.