Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #11358
View in linear mode

Subject: "Lens correction question" Previous topic | Next topic
arnnad Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Aug 2006Tue 11-Jun-13 09:45 PM
38 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Lens correction question"

Anacortes, US

Hi. I have a D7100 and 16-85 VR lens and am puzzled by a seeming omission in CS6. In ACR, my lens is recognized and a geometric correction is applied. However, it's not quite right and I've tried again in PS>Filter>Lens Correction. There's no 16-85 lens in the list, which is odd, given that it's listed in ACR and it's not a new lens. Clicking on Adobe to locate the lens didn't help.
Using manual helps some but I had hoped for better results.

Is there some way of installing the lens profile in PS?

Thanks

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Lens correction question
RBHJr
12th Jun 2013
arnnad Silver Member
12th Jun 2013
blw Moderator
13th Jun 2013
blw Moderator
13th Jun 2013
arnnad Silver Member
13th Jun 2013
arnnad Silver Member
13th Jun 2013
blw Moderator
14th Jun 2013

RBHJr Registered since 26th Mar 2013Wed 12-Jun-13 05:09 PM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Lens correction question"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I had a similar problem in Lightroom 4 with the same lens and a D7k. After doing a bit of research I discovered that the lens correction algorithm sometimes get's tripped up if you're not working with RAW images. In my case I was trying to use lens correction on a jpeg image and the 16~85 lens was not listed. LR was instead insisting that my lens was a (guessing here) 14~35.

--Ron

arnnad Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Aug 2006Wed 12-Jun-13 08:41 PM
38 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Lens correction question"
In response to Reply # 1

Anacortes, US

Hopefully, attachment posted. Uncorrected is straight raw. Corrected is from Lens Correction, ACR. Still doesn't look right. Maybe it's my astigmatism, cataracts, glaucoma...........or just my age.

Thanks for any input.

PS. This is Temple of Zeus, Pergaman, Turkey

Attachment #1, ( file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Thu 13-Jun-13 01:34 PM
26546 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Lens correction question"
In response to Reply # 2

Richmond, US

Hard to tell for sure here, with no reference lines, etc, but I agree that the corrected version does look likely overcorrected for distortion. It's much better than the uncorrected one, though.

I always do this in LR4, so I don't know how it works in ACR/CS6, but in LR, there's an amount slider for both vignetting and distortion. I know I use the distortion slider for a rectangular fisheye all the time. If I correct a shot from a 10.5/f2.8 or my Sigma 15/f2.8, it removes the fisheye distortion by default. So I dial the distortion correction back to zero and I get my fisheye shot back. Assuming that ACR/CS6 has such a slider, you should be able to dial the correction back slightly to get more accurate results.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Thu 13-Jun-13 01:48 PM
26546 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Lens correction question"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

I should read your post better...

You see no 16-85 in the list? That seems odd to me, because there certainly is a 16-85 listed in LR4. That caused me to do some additional digging... in my CS6, I was unable to get it to show me D7100 as a camera option in the Lens Correction module. I'm not sure why - I had a D2x file open, but it let me try D300, D3x and some others, but certainly not a D7100. When I told it D2x (the correct source), I *do* see the 16-85/f3.5-5.6 listed. OK, that was with a file that I opened from LR via "edit in cs6" - which would be a TIF.

So then I just opened the NEF file directly from CS6, and I see the 16-85 in the list there too, although in this case it seems to have detected the D2x and not given me options there.

The conclusion I'm drawing is that there's something not quite right about your CS6 installation. It may not know about D7100 (although that seems unlikely), or perhaps you are working with a JPG file? Certainly there do exist Adobe profiles for the 16-85VR lens though, so it's a matter of getting the software configured to find and use them.

My CS6 did just update earlier this week, by the way. I'm running 13.0.5 x64 on a Mac. My ACR seems to be 8.1 CS.

_____

arnnad Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Aug 2006Thu 13-Jun-13 04:27 PM
#5. "RE: Lens correction question"
In response to Reply # 4

Anacortes, US

Thanks for your replies. I suspect your right about the CS6 installation. I believe deleting "preferences" does a reset in PS. If that doesn't do it I'll submit the issue to Adobe forums.

arnnad Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Aug 2006Thu 13-Jun-13 11:57 PM
#6. "RE: Lens correction question"
In response to Reply # 5

Anacortes, US

I made the mistake of taking the "easy" route and deleting Preferences. Result: no change to the missing Lens Correction information. When I went to the Adobe forum I discovered a year old thread c/o similar issues with Canon's and some confusion about synchronization, or lack of it, between ACR and PS. Adobe's response was typically unhelpful. i.e. recommending a third party product.

Anyway, despite the distortion @16mm of a difficult subject I'm very pleased with the lens.

Thanks all

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Fri 14-Jun-13 09:34 AM
#7. "RE: Lens correction question"
In response to Reply # 6

Richmond, US

Well, to me it does not look like synchronization between between CS6 and ACR, or between LR and CS6, because on my system I can see the 16-85 profile in all cases, meaning LR4, CS6/ACR and CS6/LensCorrection. They seem to be very much in sync in this regard. What may be unusual on my system is that I don't see support for D7100. Then again since I don't have a D7100, nor do I even have a single D7100 file, it could well be the case that I'm not supposed to see that option.

_____

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #11358 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.