Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #11315
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7100 Print Size" Search result list | Previous match | Next match
Dawnn Silver Member Charter MemberMon 10-Jun-13 12:37 PM
86 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7100 Print Size"

New Castle, US

I have photo taken with my D7100 that I need to print an 8x10 of. Unfortunately, I was very close to my subject and cannot crop to size. Are there any good methods to resize the photo to 8x10 without cropping? I am using Photoshop Elements 11.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7100 Print Size
quenton8 Silver Member
10th Jun 2013
aolander Silver Member
10th Jun 2013
Dawnn Silver Member
10th Jun 2013
quenton8 Silver Member
10th Jun 2013
aolander Silver Member
10th Jun 2013
mfphoto1
10th Jun 2013
Dawnn Silver Member
10th Jun 2013
barrywesthead Silver Member
11th Jun 2013
Chris Platt Silver Member
11th Jun 2013
ericbowles Moderator
12th Jun 2013

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Mon 10-Jun-13 12:58 PM
1254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7100 Print Size"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

Once in a great while I need to increase one of the dimensions (height or width) on a photo. If its not by TOO much, you can "crop" letting the crop border go outside the actual photo.

Then you can use "clone" to try and build the missing parts -- depends on what the edges are. Sky is usually simple, as is grass. More complex will take more time and effort.

I am assuming you don't want to skew the subject be dragging it larger vertically or horizontally you can do that too via one one of the transform options.

I use CS6, been a while since I used PSE, but it should have all the abilities to do either.

----
Dennis Smith.

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Mon 10-Jun-13 12:59 PM
3257 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7100 Print Size"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

You can clone in background on the long sides if the image will allow that.

Alan

Dawnn Silver Member Charter MemberMon 10-Jun-13 01:04 PM
86 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7100 Print Size"
In response to Reply # 2

New Castle, US

I need to make the photo smaller to fit the 8x10 size. Unfortunately, that would mean cropping off needed parts of the photo. I know how to crop to size but do not want to crop any of it. I also know better than to shoot people at so close a range but it just happened. Right place, right time, just too close.

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Mon 10-Jun-13 01:10 PM
1254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7100 Print Size"
In response to Reply # 3

Toronto, CA

>
>
> I need to make the photo smaller to fit the 8x10 size.
>Unfortunately, that would mean cropping off needed parts of
>the photo. I know how to crop to size but do not want to crop
>any of it. I also know better than to shoot people at so
>close a range but it just happened. Right place, right time,
>just too close.

Which is why I suggested cropping the OTHER dimension larger, keeping the one you don't want to make smaller at the full size.
You will get black areas at the top and bottom (or left and right whichever you make larger), and use the clone tool to fill them in.

If you have never used the clone tool, this might be a time to start learning it.

----
Dennis Smith.

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Mon 10-Jun-13 03:33 PM
3257 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7100 Print Size"
In response to Reply # 3
Mon 10-Jun-13 05:41 PM by aolander

Nevis, US

You don't need to make it smaller, you need to change the aspect ratio, i.e. the ratio of the width to height. Out of the camera the ratio is 2:3. You want 4:5 (8:10). 4:5 is wider the on the short side than 2:3. You need to add to the short side.

Alan

mfphoto1 Registered since 29th Oct 2005Mon 10-Jun-13 01:26 PM
733 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: D7100 Print Size"
In response to Reply # 0

Cincinnati, US

Did you try just changing the image size to 8x10, sometimes the distortion is not to bad.

I have cs6 with content aware scale. Does elements 11 have content aware scale? If not try downloading the trail version of cs6.

You could also just leave a border on either side of the picture.

"Step into my world and see as I see"

My Nikonians Gallery

Dawnn Silver Member Charter MemberMon 10-Jun-13 01:45 PM
#6. "RE: D7100 Print Size"
In response to Reply # 5

New Castle, US

I shot weddings for a few years and am more familiar with the cloning tool than I want to be! I will just crop it to size and call it a day. Thanks for the replies!

barrywesthead Silver Member Awareded for his continued support of the Nikonians community, freely sharing his expertise, particularly in the areas of digital post processing and printing. Nikonian since 07th Nov 2006Tue 11-Jun-13 09:50 AM
#8. "RE: D7100 Print Size"
In response to Reply # 0

Kleinburg, CA

Elements may not have Content-Aware-Scale but if it does this can do an amzing job on most but not all images when in comes to changing aspect ratio.

Barry
http://art2printimages.com

Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012Tue 11-Jun-13 04:33 PM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D7100 Print Size"
In response to Reply # 0

Newburg, US

Have you tried the Recompose Tool?

Visit my gallery.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Wed 12-Jun-13 10:55 AM
8687 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D7100 Print Size"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

Essentially what you want to do is add canvas to the desired dimensions, then stretch or clone the background space to fill the added canvas. The area being cloned or stretched works much better if it is neutral - a smooth background rather than something people can recognize. You might want to add a vignette or similar technique to darken and soften the added area.

This is a common technique for canvas wraps. It can be used to mirror edges or simply to stretch. I like the mirror approach for prints. You can combine mirror and stretch steps if needed.

Here is a video of the technique.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELJRb6jJgzY

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #11315Search result list | Previous match | Next match

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.