Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #11306
View in linear mode

Subject: "Help with watermark in LR4, please!" Previous topic | Next topic
coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 30th Nov 2011Sun 09-Jun-13 09:50 PM
3051 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Help with watermark in LR4, please!"

McEwen, US

I would love to make a watermark like the one that Phil Pound uses. It appears to be an outline font with transparent fill. It's great because it can be put in the center of a photo without being overly obtrusive.

This is an example:

Wildlife Forum contest

The only font variations available in LR4 are bold and italic. No outline option. I've tried pretty much all of the fonts available in LR4 and can't find one with an outline effect.

Any ideas on how to make this style watermark?

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Help with watermark in LR4, please!
blw Moderator
09th Jun 2013
elcee Silver Member
10th Jun 2013
JonK Moderator
10th Jun 2013
coolmom42 Silver Member
11th Jun 2013
JonK Moderator
11th Jun 2013
danshep Silver Member
11th Jun 2013
JonK Moderator
11th Jun 2013
coolmom42 Silver Member
13th Jun 2013
coolmom42 Silver Member
12th Jun 2013
JonK Moderator
12th Jun 2013
coolmom42 Silver Member
13th Jun 2013
blw Moderator
13th Jun 2013
westcoastdave
18th Jun 2013
westcoastdave
18th Jun 2013
coolmom42 Silver Member
20th Jun 2013
westcoastdave
21st Jun 2013

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sun 09-Jun-13 09:59 PM
26720 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Help with watermark in LR4, please!"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

I think this is done with a graphic watermark. I haven't done it myself, but I think this is done by rendering the text into an image file (I'd do it with Photoshop but I'm sure there are other ways). It might need to be saved with transparency - I'm not sure.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

elcee Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Nov 2005Mon 10-Jun-13 12:47 AM
6304 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Help with watermark in LR4, please!"
In response to Reply # 1

Albuquerque, US

It's not intuitive and is not readily found in LR Help. I Googled and the first googlit was this tutorial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n20xOI6MeIs
Yes, a png is required. In fact, LR4 won't let you choose a jpg or tif; they're grayed out.
You'll have to make your logo -- graphic, text or a combination -- in an editing program that saves as png.
Your editing program probably has text effects. Don't worry about transparency; that will be handled in LR.
Steps:

1. create the logo png
  2. in LR4+, In the Library module, select View>Layout Overlay>Select Image.
  3. navigate to your logo folder, select the image. "Hold cmd for options" will display
    (Mac; Windows is Ctrl or Alt (sorry, I don't remember Win commands).
  4. while holding Cmd/Ctrl key, scrubby sliders allow adjustment of Opacity and Matte
    (avoid Matte; you'll see why when you try).

Getting rid of the png, or replacing it?
Replace -- select another png
Delete -- heck if I could figure that out. I faked it by unchecking View>Layout Overlay>Show Layout Overlay.

I hope that helps, Diane!

~LarryC (eLCee)

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Mon 10-Jun-13 12:19 AM
4700 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Help with watermark in LR4, please!"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

I have a background in typography. What you are seeing is not an effect, it's an actual outline font, sometimes called "open". My sample isn't great — I happen to have this font immediately available on my Mac — but I think it's what you are looking for.

There are a dozen or so classic, tradition outline fonts — and thousands of new ones, sometimes free (and frequently ugly).

Your only problem if searching for "outline" font or typeface. "Outline" is also a technical font term (same problem with "open") and a search will return non-hollow fonts. Searching for "hollow" will get you results.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 30th Nov 2011Tue 11-Jun-13 01:01 AM
3051 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Help with watermark in LR4, please!"
In response to Reply # 2

McEwen, US

Thanks, Jon. That's exactly what I was trying to figure out.

So off to look for fonts...

Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Tue 11-Jun-13 12:52 PM
4700 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Help with watermark in LR4, please!"
In response to Reply # 4

New York, US

I'd recommend something sans serif, plain and simple, such as Helvetica Outline. Anything serif or more ornate will probably look like crud over a photo (like my use of an engraver's font above, not one my my most oustanding typographic moments). Helvetica Outline is a generic term; it actually comes in a variety of weights. I suggest Bold or heavier (sometimes called Bold, Heavy, Black, 65, 75, or 85, obviously the outline version).

Jon Kandel

danshep Silver Member Charter MemberTue 11-Jun-13 04:22 PM
1329 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Help with watermark in LR4, please!"
In response to Reply # 5

Olympia, US

So Jon, you advocate arresting the Serif!

"Today is the tomorrow that yesterday you spent money like there was no"

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Tue 11-Jun-13 04:38 PM
#7. "RE: Help with watermark in LR4, please!"
In response to Reply # 6

New York, US

Nah, I'd shoot the Serif…

Jon Kandel

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 30th Nov 2011Thu 13-Jun-13 01:19 AM
#11. "RE: Help with watermark in LR4, please!"
In response to Reply # 7

McEwen, US

Be sure to get the deputy...

Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 30th Nov 2011Wed 12-Jun-13 11:58 AM
#8. "RE: Help with watermark in LR4, please!"
In response to Reply # 5

McEwen, US

>I'd recommend something sans serif, plain and simple, such as
>Helvetica
>Outline.> Anything serif or more ornate will probably look
>like crud over a photo (like my use of an engraver's font
>above, not one my my most oustanding typographic moments).
>Helvetica Outline is a generic term; it actually comes in a
>variety of weights. I suggest Bold or heavier (sometimes
>called Bold, Heavy, Black, 65, 75, or 85, obviously the
>outline version).
>
>Jon Kandel
>A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
>Please visit
my website and critique the
>images!

Thanks Jon. I will look for that.

I accidentally downloaded an annoying little piece of malware called V9, while downloading some fonts. It hijacks the home page of your browser and changes the target on all your screen shortcuts for browsers. Had to do some research and spend some time uninstalling it. I will look for the Helvetica Outline, I like it!

Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Wed 12-Jun-13 06:51 PM
#9. "RE: Help with watermark in LR4, please!"
In response to Reply # 8

New York, US

You can always buy it here from FontShop, one of the major players in the type foundry field.

Jon Kandel

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 30th Nov 2011Thu 13-Jun-13 01:09 AM
#10. "RE: Help with watermark in LR4, please!"
In response to Reply # 9

McEwen, US

Thanks for the link! I'm tempted by some of the others there, too.

Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Thu 13-Jun-13 01:28 PM
26720 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#12. "RE: Help with watermark in LR4, please!"
In response to Reply # 9

Richmond, US

Based on some of my behavior around fonts in the distant past, I'm afraid of clicking on that link!!!

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

westcoastdave Registered since 30th Apr 2013Tue 18-Jun-13 04:43 AM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Help with watermark in LR4, please!"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

You might want to try this Karl Taylor video tutorial on how to create the watermark in Photoshop: http://www.takeabetterphoto.com/free-photography-tips/watermark/ It's pretty straightforward and Karl does a good job walking through the non-intuitive bits. He uses a Sans-serif font but the technique could be used with any font.

If you're on a Mac you might want to check out Photobulk - it's a handy little app for doing batch processing of watermarks, resizing, and/or image resolution. It's really easy to use and supports straight text watermarks or logo/image watermarks as well. Free trial at http://mac.eltima.com/bulk-image-editor.html

I've used the LR watermarking but don't like the lack of quality control on web export in LR. Would prefer to see what the image is going to look like before export. You can adjust the opacity of the LR watermark so that it is more subtle and more transparent.

westcoastdave Registered since 30th Apr 2013Tue 18-Jun-13 04:55 AM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Help with watermark in LR4, please!"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 18-Jun-13 04:57 AM by westcoastdave

CA

Just thinking again that the much easier way to go would be to play around with your opacity of the text watermark. I'm using LR 5, but it was much the same in LR 4

Lightroom>Edit Watermarks...

In the Watermark Editor window choose a Font (I like Santa Fe LET right now
Leave the colour on default white
Check the Shadow box and edit the settings there - I'm currently using:
Opacity 60
Offset 10
Radius 20
Angle -90

Watermark Effects - default opacity is 100 - change that to 30 and you get a nice transparent effect. You might want to go for even more transparency.

Play around with the Size, Inset, Anchor until you get something you like.

Once you're done tinkering, do a "Save Current Settings as a New Preset"

Then when you export your images from LR, select the custom preset you created.

Much easier than the Photoshop process and creates a really nice look.

I've used LR to watermark the images on my site and have gone from 100 opacity to 30 opacity and it makes a big difference in appearance - much more subtle. Check the images at http://IslandNature.ca

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 30th Nov 2011Thu 20-Jun-13 03:02 AM
#15. "RE: Help with watermark in LR4, please!"
In response to Reply # 14
Thu 20-Jun-13 03:03 AM by coolmom42

McEwen, US

Dave, that's what I have decided to do.

The main thing I want to do is discourage someone from lifting and using images I post online on sites like Facebook or another forum I use. But I also want something that is relatively unobtrusive.

I have tentatively settled on "Franklin Gothic Heavy" font, bold, black, no shadow, 10% opacity, size setting "fit", no inset, with the center point anchor.

This puts the watermark in a position where it would be very difficult to remove, and marks the work as mine, but allows the image to be seen.

After reading about Drew Bittel's experience, I am especially hesitant to put images of my family out there without some effort at protection. (Someone lifted her son's images off Drew's blog, and used them to make a website soliciting funds for cancer treatment for a fictional child.)

This is an example of the 10% opacity. For posting this image elsewhere I would increase the opacity, or possibly choose white as the color for the font. I still have some experimenting to do and likely will end up with a selection of opacities and colors to use.

Thanks to all who provided input. It was very helpful to explore the options. Even though I didn't purchase any fonts I learned a lot about what's available.

Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

westcoastdave Registered since 30th Apr 2013Fri 21-Jun-13 08:38 PM
#16. "RE: Help with watermark in LR4, please!"
In response to Reply # 15

CA

I like it! Very subtle and yet makes the image unusable by anyone else. I think that I'm going go back and play around with my watermark a bit more as well.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #11306 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.