Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #11287
View in linear mode

Subject: "Something Scary happened in my LR4 ..." Previous topic | Next topic
quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Fri 07-Jun-13 03:26 PM
1211 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Something Scary happened in my LR4 ..."

Toronto, CA

My main photo folders are on an external USB-3 drive.

It seems that for the last 2 months, my photos have been being imported to "My Documents/..." instead of the external drive.

I presume I must have somehow changed the target location, but certainly had not intended to.

I seem to remember this happening way back when I first got LR3, but I didn't know what I was doing back then, so I kind of forgot about it.

This is really scary as my backup copies from one external drive to 2 others, and it was only by glancing at the log of this backup and seeing nothing much copied recently that clued me in.

It would be nice if you could somehow "lock in" some settings.

I guess one just has to be watching all the time.

----
Dennis Smith.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

elcee Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Nov 2005Sat 08-Jun-13 04:27 AM
6031 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Something Scary happened in my LR4 ..."
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 08-Jun-13 04:30 AM by elcee

Albuquerque, US

I'm going to go ahead and say something real stupid, Dennis (won't be the first time).
I haven't used Windows since XP, having gone over to Appleville 6 years ago.
But my experience with Win was that when one unplugged a drive, drive letters get rearranged.
When the path to the new drive is gone (e.g., x:\photostorage), Windows defaults to c:\My Dox.

~LarryC (eLCee)

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Sat 08-Jun-13 03:11 PM
1211 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Something Scary happened in my LR4 ..."
In response to Reply # 1

Toronto, CA

It does not appear to be as bad in Windows 7.

I have a number of drives I plug and unplug, often at the same time (I mean more than one will be unplugged at for the same period of time).

Also, it went from writing to my K:\ drive which as a USB-3, to writing to my "My Documents" folder on my C:\ drive.

At least I was able to recover -- I will remember to watch my backup logs -- it was the lack of anything to back-up in the last 2 weeks that caught my eye.

----
Dennis Smith.

pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows. Nikonian since 17th Nov 2005Sat 08-Jun-13 05:33 PM
1027 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Something Scary happened in my LR4 ..."
In response to Reply # 0

Swisher, US

>
>It would be nice if you could somehow "lock in" some
>settings.
>

Create an import preset (not a develop preset to be applied during import) and the file location 'should' remain locked in. I use them, but have not tested with external drives.

Paul
My Nikonians Gallery

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #11287 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.