Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #11246
View in linear mode

Subject: "LR 4 setup" Previous topic | Next topic
boblin Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Jun 2010Tue 04-Jun-13 01:55 AM
127 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"LR 4 setup"

Lincoln, US

Hi,
I am a total novice to lightroom 4 but want to learn how to use it. I bought the program and installed it on my windows lapbtop. The laptop has no photos on it. I also bought a copy of Scott Kelby's LR book. I have tried to follow his directions of creating a new sub folder under MY Photos folder. I am having no luck in creating the new sub folder. Here are the steps I have taken:

Open LR click on "import" to begin
Click import under catalog > "Please select source"
Click on My Pictures folder> "No photos found"
Click on + to left of source>drop down box states, "Add network Volume

Obviously, Kelby left out some info for us newbies. What do I need to do? Remember I am a novice. Your help would be appreciated.

Bob

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: LR 4 setup
kgb144 Silver Member
04th Jun 2013
boblin Silver Member
04th Jun 2013
AAHNikon Gold Member
05th Jun 2013
SteveInReno
07th Jun 2013
Gamecocks Silver Member
08th Jun 2013
Scotty Silver Member
08th Jun 2013
rwwright Platinum Member
08th Jun 2013

kgb144 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2007Tue 04-Jun-13 05:53 AM
95 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: LR 4 setup"
In response to Reply # 0

Ayrshire, GB

Bob,

I suggest that you Google Serge Ramelli who is a French photographer and has very good videos on Lightroom 4. His English is excellent and his tutorials are easy to follow.

Highly recommended.

Kind regards,

ft

My Nikonians Gallery

Ayrshire, Scotland

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

boblin Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Jun 2010Tue 04-Jun-13 07:39 AM
127 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: LR 4 setup"
In response to Reply # 1

Lincoln, US

Thanks, ft.
After wondering around for the better part of the day in a daze and frustrated, I think that it is becoming clearer.
In his book, Kelby doesn't say directly to create the new folder in the source or destination "My Pictures" folder. I have gone back and reread what he has written and now I think I understand that he means to create the new folder as a sub folder under the "My Pictures" folder in the destination folders. That way I can create the same name folder on an external hdd.
I will give it a go tomorrow.

AAHNikon Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2009Wed 05-Jun-13 05:04 PM
75 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: LR 4 setup"
In response to Reply # 2

Tempe, US

Boblin,

Something else to consider. I am on a volunteer team of photographers for my church and when I PP any of my shots, I have created a couple of folders (Work / Finished) in Drop Box. LR4 recognizes Drop Box which I can Import downloaded photos, PP then Export finished photos to Drop Box for the church's media team to access. This way I don't have to take up room on my hard drive since everything I shoot for the church belong to the church. Just an idea.

Does it hurt when shot by a Nikon?

SteveInReno Registered since 18th May 2013Fri 07-Jun-13 05:10 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: LR 4 setup"
In response to Reply # 3

Reno, US

I'd just add that when starting with a new library, it's IMPORTANT to make sure that the location the RAWs are being stored is someplace YOU want them to be put in. When I first started with LR I ASSUMED hat it would put the RAWs in the Lightroom catalog folder (or a subfolder therein), but SURPRISE! it dropped them in a My Pictures folder: then exact LAST place I needed them. One of these days I'll go through the effort to actually re-organize my folder structure, but right now I honestly don't have the time to mess around with it. Unfortunately it's not as simple of an issues to move source files around as Adobe would have us believe.

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Sat 08-Jun-13 01:28 AM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: LR 4 setup"
In response to Reply # 4

Joanna, US

I had the same surprise, Steve. Finally added a LR subfolder followed by a 2013 subfolder and then named subs for pictures taken this year. When I started my LR I wasn't thinking that it would automatically pick My Pictures and then folders under it. Thankfully, not many files and certainly no harm done as I just ignore everything before my change. Perhaps I just missed the steps at the start up?

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Sat 08-Jun-13 04:19 PM
4817 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: LR 4 setup"
In response to Reply # 5

Ely, Cambridgeshire, GB

The first Chapter in Kelby's book states from the beginning that LR automatically chooses the My Pictures folder to put imported images into and recommends you make your own, where you want it an then set this before clicking on import.

I am teaching myself LR with this book and find it a mine of information, incredibly useful and worth every penny. You have to get used to his style but once you do his books are excellent...

D2Xs + AF20-35mm f2.8 + AF35-70mm f2.8 + AF80-200mm f2.8

or

FE + Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AIS

Hunger pays a heavy price to the shining Gods of speed and steel

Check out my website...
http://alexjpscott.wix.com/photography

LIKE me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AlexJPScottPhotography

Follow my blog...

http://alexjpscottphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

Look me up on Flickr...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alex_jp_scott/

Alex

rwwright Platinum Member Nikonian since 23rd Feb 2003Sat 08-Jun-13 04:44 PM
594 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: LR 4 setup"
In response to Reply # 0

Fairview, TX, US

agree with most of above.

you should decide where you want your photos to reside. then create a directory at that place. then set that directory as the default in import.

for example i do not put any photos on the c drive. it is a small fast fixed memory disk. all my photos go on my 2 terabyte disk drive D:/xxx/photos.

My Gallery

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #11246 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.