Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #11126
View in linear mode

Subject: "LR 3.6 catalogue does not link after foramting & re-ins..." Previous topic | Next topic
PRSS Registered since 10th Apr 2012Sun 19-May-13 02:15 AM
254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"LR 3.6 catalogue does not link after foramting & re-installing"

IN

Hello Everybody

First of all I think this type of question has been answered elsewhere in this forum. I just could pin-pointedly get it. As the info is a bit urgent I am posting this topic.

My son came here from a distant city - and his laptop suddenly developed OS errors. It needed formatting. He is also a photo enthusiast and uses Lightroom 3.6.

Before formatting, I told him to copy all the LR Catalog & Adobe folders from his account's My Pictures Folder in C drive to an external hard disk. Whatever folders were there regarding to LR & Adobe were copied to the external disk.

Now, after formatting and re-installing the OS which is Win 7 64 bit, and after re-installing LR, I told him to rename the new LR / adobe folders found in the same place and then copy the folders from the external hard disk to this place.

So, in fact the computer has all the LR info which it had before at the same place. But now when I open LR, these catalog do not link. When I went to this folder & double clicked on the catalog file itself, it opened in LR and all the thumbnails showed. When I double clicked on the thumbnail it actually opened but said that the original file was not found.

All the original files are in the external hard disk at the same place. Even when the external hard disk is connected, these thumbnails say that the original files could not be found. (Please note all the original files were in the external hard disk only and when they were edited in LR they were imported with the option - "ADD" and not "move" or "copy".

I have to resolve his issue before tomorrow afternoon when he is leaving from here.

Any solution for this?

Thanks in advance & very sorry for asking the same question that someone might have asked here before.

PRSS

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sun 19-May-13 11:22 AM
26657 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: LR 3.6 catalogue does not link after foramting & re-installing"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

In the Library, look for one of the top level folders that is showing the ? missing icon. Click on that, and a "Find missing folder" dialog box should come up. It will tell you where the folder once was. Now navigate to where that folder NOW is, wherever that might be, and select it. Then all the rest of the tree will be reconnected with Lightroom.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sun 19-May-13 11:24 AM
26657 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: LR 3.6 catalogue does not link after foramting & re-installing"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

By the way, it's too late in this case, but I would not have "copied" the files to the external hard drive. Rather, it would have been best to select All Photographs in the Library, then do File->Export As Catalog, and select the include all source files (and possibly all previews) option. Then direct it to use the external hard drive.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

PRSS Registered since 10th Apr 2012Sun 19-May-13 02:13 PM
254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: LR 3.6 catalogue does not link after foramting & re-installing"
In response to Reply # 2

IN

Thank you Brian, for the quick reply. Hope your first post works. I shall try that and post back the results.

With best regards
PRSS

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #11126 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.