Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #10833
View in linear mode

Subject: "Saving Defaults" Previous topic | Next topic
danshep Silver Member Charter MemberSat 04-May-13 04:17 AM
1314 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Saving Defaults"

Olympia, US

I'm fairly new to Lightroom, however I have been able to set up some presets and so forth.

In a given set of photos, I may have basically the same sharpening parameters, so I would like to have it preset, so I do not have to keep entering the numbers for the sharpening level, detail, etc.

Is there a way to include the sharpening in any preset?

"Today is the tomorrow that yesterday you spent money like there was no"

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

elcee Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Nov 2005Sat 04-May-13 05:12 AM
6107 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Saving Defaults"
In response to Reply # 0

Albuquerque, US

The easy, not-a-preset way is to adjust an image to your liking, edit>copy, select which settings
you want to copy (one, several, all) select other images (you can select one or several or all), then edit>paste.

The make-a-preset way means you'll collect lots of custom presets, as I am sure every batch will require
different amounts of sharpening, etc.

To create a preset:
1. make your edits in the right panel
2. click on the + sign in the left panel
3. select sharpening and any other setting you want included in your preset
4. name your preset
5, create it

~LarryC (eLCee)

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Sat 04-May-13 10:59 AM
14456 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Saving Defaults"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

You can also have a set of parameters designated as your default for all images taken with a certain camera. Those can include whatever your want, but common things to include in your default setting are sharpening and a color profile. Presuming you want to use this sharpening setting for the majority of your images, you don't need to include sharpening settings in your presets; your new default values will stay set. To create a default for a specific camera, start with an unedited image, go to the Develop module, adjust the sharpening values to whatever you want and any other parameters you want included in your default setting and then select Develop>Set Default Settings>Update to Current Settings. From this point on, those settings will be applied to all images made with that camera when you import them into Lightroom.

There are options you can set for how default settings are used within Lightroom if you want to get fancier. You can have them set by camera model (the default), serial number (if you have multiple camera bodies of the same model that are individually color-calibrated) and by ISO (if you want to apply differing sharpening and noise reduction automatically based on ISO). I tend to keep it simple and just do it based on the camera model.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows. Nikonian since 17th Nov 2005Sat 04-May-13 01:53 PM
1032 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Saving Defaults"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 04-May-13 01:56 PM by pdekman

Swisher, US

I'll add one more method to the good advice you've been given. In the Develop module, select all the images in the filmstrip that you want to share settings with and use the 'Sync...' button to copy settings. Alternatively, toggle the button to 'AutoSync' and then any changes you make to an image will automatically be applied to all images selected in the filmstrip.

With a bit of selection discipline, LR can really speed your post-processing. Good luck!

Reminder - you will make mistakes while learning, use the undo feature to get back to where you were.

Paul
My Nikonians Gallery

danshep Silver Member Charter MemberSun 05-May-13 12:55 AM
1314 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Saving Defaults"
In response to Reply # 0

Olympia, US

Thank, guys. Even more help than I could hope for. I will certainly avail myself of this info.

I already noticed with a couple of things I did to a filmstrip of images, how quickly I could make a change. For someone who was not interested in trying it because I already used and loved Photoshop, I have become a believer!

"Today is the tomorrow that yesterday you spent money like there was no"

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #10833 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.