Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #10807
View in linear mode

Subject: "Advanced Lightroom Tutorials?" Previous topic | Next topic
GaryPk Silver Member Nikonian since 01st May 2012Tue 30-Apr-13 08:23 PM
491 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Advanced Lightroom Tutorials?"
Tue 30-Apr-13 09:50 PM by GaryPk

Bailey, US

I use Lightroom 4. Many of the photographers who's work I admire use Photoshop, and many of those offer "for-fee" eBook tutorials on how to best use such things as Luminosity Masking, for example.

Here is a Flickr Group who's members frequently present the post-processing style I wish to learn to emulate in Lightroom. I am aware, of course, that all of this has to start with a great image and these people are exceptional in my book.

www.flickr.com/groups/wonders_of_nature/

I use Lightroom 4, Nik, and Elements. Are there advanced Lightroom tutorials available that offer techniques to get similar image popping Landscape results? So far all I can find are Presets and the basics. Thank you..

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Advanced Lightroom Tutorials?
quenton8 Silver Member
02nd May 2013
GaryPk Silver Member
02nd May 2013
Toby01 Silver Member
02nd May 2013
blw Moderator
07th May 2013
Gamecocks Silver Member
13th May 2013
ndtking Gold Member
07th May 2013
GaryPk Silver Member
07th May 2013
Roger Thomson
12th May 2013
SteveInReno
19th May 2013
kgb144 Silver Member
04th Jun 2013
quenton8 Silver Member
04th Jun 2013
Cookies35 Silver Member
04th Jun 2013
GaryPk Silver Member
06th Jun 2013
alandb
10th Jun 2013
GaryPk Silver Member
10th Jun 2013

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Thu 02-May-13 01:34 AM
1288 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Advanced Lightroom Tutorials?"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

I have been waiting to see one of our experts answer this. So let me guess why they have not ...

Most of the LR training videos, texts etc -- which I have seen are more technical reference types, and not examples of the wonderful things you can do. Examples - yes, but examples to show and explain the technical aspects.

Personally, I learned mostly from "George Jardine's" videos (http://mulita.com/blog), but I have not seen many others mention them. They are, as noted above, mostly technical in nature and don't provide great examples like what you seem to be after, other than to explain the technical items.

----
Dennis Smith.

GaryPk Silver Member Nikonian since 01st May 2012Thu 02-May-13 02:46 AM
491 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Advanced Lightroom Tutorials?"
In response to Reply # 1

Bailey, US

Hi. Thank you ...I will look at the link you provided. Just thought I must have missed something since there are so very many Photoshop tutorials and eBooks out there that offer training on a particular style of processing, just like there are with HDR processing. Regards ...

Toby01 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2012Thu 02-May-13 11:04 PM
229 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Advanced Lightroom Tutorials?"
In response to Reply # 1

El Sobrante, US

Hi, Dennis.

I wanted to give you a great big "Thank You" for pointing out George Jardine's LR tutorials. I had watched many of the free ones from Adobe/Julianne Kost and learned the basics there, but George's stuff is taking me to another level. After following your link, I watched the freebie George offers on the Tone Control in his Develop series. That was good enough that I purchased the Develop module set and am working my way thru them now. So far, I am very pleased. Once again: Thanks.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 07-May-13 12:56 PM
26801 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: Advanced Lightroom Tutorials?"
In response to Reply # 1
Tue 07-May-13 12:58 PM by blw

Richmond, US

> "George Jardine's" videos

Wow, I am seriously impressed with those videos. I've read a few books and done some of the more advanced courses, and his stuff just blows them out of the water. Highly recommended. Thanks to Dennis for bringing them up!

In the context of this thread, check out the Image Correction series. I have one beef with them: I don't think of this as "correction" at all, although some of it is. It's about Image Interpretation to me - and this is an excellent series on that subject.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Mon 13-May-13 02:31 AM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Advanced Lightroom Tutorials?"
In response to Reply # 1

Joanna, US

Dennis,

I saw your post regarding the Jardine videos so I ordered some and must say they are very good. His method of showing how things are done is real easy to follow. I have the Evening book and, being a slow reader, it took some time to finish. Martin does a good job yet sometimes it is a little difficult to understand what he is saying. Incorporating both the videos and book has stepped up the learning process. With that said, if I was given a choice between the two I'd have to go with the videos because the visual examples are so clear to follow and they take you from the start to the end. Thanks for sharing the info.; although it did cost me.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

ndtking Gold Member Nikonian since 16th Jun 2008Tue 07-May-13 12:24 PM
213 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Advanced Lightroom Tutorials?"
In response to Reply # 0

Kitchener, CA

Gary -

I have found the various tutorials on lynda.com to be very good. There are lots to choose from. There are tutorials on all kinds of software, not just photographic, and there are tutorials on general photography that you will find useful and inspiring.

You can browse the site and view a few of the tutorial videos for free. A monthly subscription (I very much recommend getting it for at least one month) is $25 and it gives you access to every course on site (there are hundreds just in photography alone). After that, you can get yearly pricing if you want, or just go month by month.

One of the best techniques is just to get in to LR and start making adjustments - you can always go back to any point. One of the things I find useful is to make virtual copies of an image and to do several different versions of the processing - you can then compare them with the compare tool. I find LR very user friendly and very forgiving.

Gerry King
Ontarian Nikonian
Flickr Gallery:www.flickr.com/photos/ndtking

GaryPk Silver Member Nikonian since 01st May 2012Tue 07-May-13 02:10 PM
#6. "RE: Advanced Lightroom Tutorials?"
In response to Reply # 4

Bailey, US

Thank you ... Gary

Roger Thomson Registered since 12th May 2013Sun 12-May-13 03:03 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Advanced Lightroom Tutorials?"
In response to Reply # 6

glasgow, GB

Another thumbs up for George Jardine.

SteveInReno Registered since 18th May 2013Sun 19-May-13 05:57 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Advanced Lightroom Tutorials?"
In response to Reply # 0

Reno, US

Good morning!! I've been using LR since the beta release of the first version, and it's the cornerstone of my workflow! There are a lot of great Lightroom resources out there from a lot of people and software companies, but here's a few I'd start out with:

Google+ : Yeah, I know, who needs another social "thing"! But G+ has a HUGE photography community, and there is always something new to learn from company (Adobe, Nik/Google, OnOne Software, Kelby Media, etc), pro photogs (Kelby, Ratcliff, Sammon, Nicole Young, etc), and others on software, gear, techniques, etc... If you're interested look me up on G+ (http://www.steveongplus.com) and I'll share my photography circle with you.

Adobe TV: http://tv.adobe.com/show/learn-lightroom-4/

Lightroom Secrets: http://lightroomsecrets.com/

The tools I tend to use the most are LR (of course), OnOne PhotoSuite (lots of presets from the company and supporters on G+), Photomatix, and SilverEfex, with Photoshop occassionally thrown in for the heavy lifting. In general, LR does most of everything I need in the post-processing department.

kgb144 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2007Tue 04-Jun-13 10:13 AM
99 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Advanced Lightroom Tutorials?"
In response to Reply # 9

Ayrshire, GB

Hi All,

Can I suggest that you look at Serge Ramelli a french photographer (speaks excellent English) who does what you are looking for. I learned more in one weekend from him than I did from all the books I have read on lightroom.

Kind regards,

ft

My Nikonians Gallery

Ayrshire, Scotland

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Tue 04-Jun-13 01:40 PM
1288 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Advanced Lightroom Tutorials?"
In response to Reply # 10

Toronto, CA

As noted earlier, I have used George Jardine's tutorials. That said, I also find it very useful to read what different people say and how they say it.

There is lots of free stuff out there, in blogs, in free short tutorials, or often just in forums of various kinds. When I need and answer to something I just search the web and read what I find, it gives you a broader perspective than just concentrating on one teacher.

----
Dennis Smith.

Cookies35 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2007Tue 04-Jun-13 01:45 PM
1963 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Advanced Lightroom Tutorials?"
In response to Reply # 0

NL

I'm in love with creativeLIVE. If you miss the live broadcast then you have to pay, but so far I've been overwhelmed by the quality of the classes.

There's a Lightroom 5 class coming up on the 17th of June, an entire three-day course. You can watch it for FREE if you catch it live or during one of the rebroadcasts. It's not the ideal situation for a Lightroom 4 user, but my guess (from previous experience) is that it will be an entire course on Lightroom, not just a course on "what's new in Lightroom 5."

— LaDonna

GaryPk Silver Member Nikonian since 01st May 2012Thu 06-Jun-13 02:25 AM
#13. "RE: Advanced Lightroom Tutorials?"
In response to Reply # 12
Thu 06-Jun-13 02:30 AM by GaryPk

Bailey, US

WOW, received George Jardine's Image Correction Master Class (Lightroom) and it is fantastic. Love it... and I thought I was pretty good with Lightroom. I will definitely improve with this ... Thank you !

alandb Registered since 26th Sep 2009Mon 10-Jun-13 04:38 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Advanced Lightroom Tutorials?"
In response to Reply # 13

US

Along with George Jardine, I can also recommend Laura Shoe.

GaryPk Silver Member Nikonian since 01st May 2012Mon 10-Jun-13 04:46 PM
#15. "RE: Advanced Lightroom Tutorials?"
In response to Reply # 14
Mon 10-Jun-13 04:47 PM by GaryPk

Bailey, US

Thank you ..

I have been studying the Lightroom DVD by George Jardine titled : Image Correction Master Class. Some of the new LR5 features are included.

These 21 tutorials have a primary emphasis on White Balance and the Tone Curve and then go on from there. The things he can do with simply these two controls is jaw dropping.

I have come to believe that if I can master the Tone Curve, and when to use it over adjustments in exposure, and black/white points, I will take my photography to my next level.

Gary http://www.flickr.com/photos/30039864@N07/

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #10807 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.