Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #10561
View in linear mode

Subject: "Migrating from Aperture and dealing with RAW + printed ..." Previous topic | Next topic
gobigdave Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Aug 2006Fri 05-Apr-13 05:56 PM
82 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Migrating from Aperture and dealing with RAW + printed JPGs"

Scituate, US

I’m about to move around 15,000 images over to LR4 from Aperture. Many of the earlier images are scanned from film JPG masters with minor edits. Starting once I got a camera that did RAW, I have all RAW files. I know I can’t move the adjustments from AP to LR4, but what I would like to do is have the file pairs be such that the edited JPG is what is shown, but I have the option to go back to the original RAW or JPG if I want to start over with edits. Normally, I wouldn’t do that, but I do occassionaly go back and redo a photo if I get a new tool, or I learn a new technique that could improve it.

Aperture provides a way to swap which file is the master (use JPG as master or use RAW as master). Does LR4 have something similar?

Since some of my files are JPG master + JPG edits, am I limited to a stack approach? I’m guessing that auto-stack isn’t going to work because the times on the files will not be close.

Is there a better way?

Note, I really would rather not keep everything in Aperture around because I’m guessing that will end up causing me headaches if I change things somewhere. Plus, I really don’t want to go back and forth between tools. I plan on making a clean break.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows. Nikonian since 17th Nov 2005Sat 06-Apr-13 07:29 PM
1035 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Migrating from Aperture and dealing with RAW + printed JPGs"
In response to Reply # 0

Swisher, US

I don't have any first hand experience with this situation, but seeing that you've received no responses, I'll share my thoughts...

To reduce workload, I'd consider organizing all the RAW/JPG pairs into your preferred folder structure, but only importing the JPG version into LR. You'd get the proper looking thumbnails, prints, etc. and only have to deal with the raw image for the small number of images that you choose to re-edit.

Once you decide to go back to the raw image, it should be easy to import the file and stack it with the original jpg as a pair. You can choose which image is on top with LR.

I'd also give some thought to ensuring Aperture has generated the best master possible (TIF w/ ProPhoto colorspace perhaps?) before you bring all of this into LR. If the TIF/JPG has the same capture metadata as the raw, that should help your chances to auto-stack in LR in the future.

Lastly, I can see how future LR generated jpegs could become confusing as you need to know if it is a jpg master image or disposable jpg rendered from a raw master. I always export rendered images to separate folders from my master image library and never import them into LR. Keeps the confusion down for me at least.

Good luck!

Paul
My Nikonians Gallery

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #10561 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.